Six Nation 2017

OddJob

Good win versus the eyeties to bring this year to a close.

Felt sorry for the italian kicker, who clearly couldn't kick his own arse and wanted the murrayfield pitch to swallow him up after each miss. It didn't help that the cameraman would then linger on close-ups of the tetchy reactions of his coach and team mates and the italian fans, every time.

It was a very encouraging tournament and good send off for Vern Cotter.

Its pretty tough for the guys, to have 3 decent wins, yet still end up 4th in the table. The beasting from england had a lot to do with it.

I think France have flattered to deceive in this tournament, they were there for the taking vs us and got lucky against the leek-eaters, with that absurd finish to their game this weekend.

I think we can build on this next year.

Finished level on points with France and Ireland though, in a year in which no-one managed the Slam that's a more than decent return. Also the first time ever we've won all 3 home matches in an odd-year (we won both homers in 2006 against England and France, but since the tournament got expanded to 6 teams we've never managed a home clean-sweep in an odd year, which is pathetic).

The send-off for Vern Cotter on Saturday was awesome, and even from the stands you could tell that he was really emotional. I hope to fuck we know what we're doing getting rid of him, the progress over the last three years has been immense. Townsend will need to hit the ground running or it won't take long for the murmurs of discontent to start up.

Re. the Lions, Hogg and J Gray are probably our only two shoo-ins for the squad but I suspect a number of the other Scots regulars will travel: Seymour and Russell should certainly be involved, R Gray should also travel and the likes of Maitland, Huw Jones, Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson and John Barclay will also be under consideration. Greig Laidlaw is unlucky as all fuck with the timing and severity of his injury as most people had him down as an obvious and popular choice for captain of the midweek team (i.e. not the full test-squad, but an important part of the touring party nonetheless).

Finished level on points with France and Ireland though, in a year in which no-one managed the Slam that's a more than decent return. Also the first time ever we've won all 3 home matches in an odd-year (we won both homers in 2006 against England and France, but since the tournament got expanded to 6 teams we've never managed a home clean-sweep in an odd year, which is pathetic).

The send-off for Vern Cotter on Saturday was awesome, and even from the stands you could tell that he was really emotional. I hope to fuck we know what we're doing getting rid of him, the progress over the last three years has been immense. Townsend will need to hit the ground running or it won't take long for the murmurs of discontent to start up.

Re. the Lions, Hogg and J Gray are probably our only two shoo-ins for the squad but I suspect a number of the other Scots regulars will travel: Seymour and Russell should certainly be involved, R Gray should also travel and the likes of Maitland, Huw Jones, Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson and John Barclay will also be under consideration. Greig Laidlaw is unlucky as all fuck with the timing and severity of his injury as most people had him down as an obvious and popular choice for captain of the midweek team (i.e. not the full test-squad, but an important part of the touring party nonetheless).

How come we are getting rid of him? I know from what I've read that he has a new job lined up at Toulouse and Townsend is taking over (is he involved in the set-up already?), but was this mutual or an SRU decision?

How come we are getting rid of him? I know from what I've read that he has a new job lined up at Toulouse and Townsend is taking over (is he involved in the set-up already?), but was this mutual or an SRU decision?

He's off to Montpellier - a job which he arranged after it became clear that the SRU were not renewing his contract.

Basically the SRU have panicked big-time over the prospect of 'losing' Gregor Townsend to coaching jobs in England, France or possibly the Southern Hemisphere. At the moment Townsend is coach of Glasgow, where he has admittedly overseen a dramatic upturn in fortunes, turning Glasgow into regular contenders in the Pro-12 league as well as putting together a couple of decent European runs. The SRU is directly responsible for Scotland's two pro teams (Edinburgh and Glasgow), and at some point in the last few months, Townsend has clearly suggested that he was considering leaving Scotland. The SRU panicked, offered him the Scotland job without first telling Cotter that his services would no longer be required (a huge professional discourtesy to such a fine and experienced coach), and now we are where we are.

The whole thing is an absolute farce, and you should have heard the mutterings at full-time from the normally placid Murrayfield crowd as Cotter was taking his farewell bows: "Why are we letting him go", "I hope to fuck we know what we are doing" etc etc.

What should have happened, of course, is Cotter remaining in post until, say, the next RWC, but putting in place a timeline on the understanding that the job would eventually be Townsend's. In the meantime Toonie, who in fairness is probably largely blameless in all this, could have gone off to coach in S Africa or wherever and then come back to Scotland with his already impressive coaching credentials enhanced.

Once again, the SRU appears hell-bent on rivalling the SFA for utter incompetence.

• 5 weeks later...

Agreed VDA how can Gatland come to that conclusion. Basically just proved it's jobs for the boys there. No Johnny Gray is ridiculous. I see he's picked a Welsh guy who didn't even start any of the six nations games either!!!???

he's went with what he knows which is a mistake IMO.

Gray is one of the best tacklers around and should be in that squad.

Jonny Gray and Hamish Watson are both massively unlucky not to be going.

And yes, Gatland is an absolute cock.

However, and trying to give the benefit of the doubt as far as possible, there is still a lot of domestic European rugby to be played and Lions tours are notorious for being a bit brutal, so there will be more players to be brought in over the coming weeks. I'd imagine that (J) Gray will end up on the tour anyway, with big brother R Gray also in the running for a late call-up if we suffer any more injuries in the second row.

Jonny Gray and Hamish Watson are both massively unlucky not to be going.

And yes, Gatland is an absolute cock.

However, and trying to give the benefit of the doubt as far as possible, there is still a lot of domestic European rugby to be played and Lions tours are notorious for being a bit brutal, so there will be more players to be brought in over the coming weeks. I'd imagine that (J) Gray will end up on the tour anyway, with big brother R Gray also in the running for a late call-up if we suffer any more injuries in the second row.

Have you heard Gatlands reasons for leaving Scotland underrepresented? He's cited Scotland Match against England and Glasgow v saracens. He's an absolute cockwomble. He hope this lions team get destroyed now.

Have you heard Gatlands reasons for leaving Scotland underrepresented? He's cited Scotland Match against England and Glasgow v saracens. He's an absolute cockwomble. He hope this lions team get destroyed now.

Yup, and when asked earlier in the season about which Scots might be in contention for a place on the tour, he said "oh you know, there's Hogg, and there's that winger, and the other boy has done well at centre..." In other words, Stuart Hogg was the only actual player he could name. In other words, he basically wasn't interested in considering Scottish players.

Meanwhilings of Wales, we've somehow ended up with 12 Welsh boys in the touring party, including folk like Leigh Halfwit who had a shocking 6 Nations by his own standards, and Alun Wyn Jones who is 104 and got shown up against Jonny Gray in the game at Murrayfield for the ageing workhorse which he now is.

It's a shite squad, and I don't think you need to merely 'hope' that the ABs destroy them. That's now a cast-iron certainty, the only reason to tune in now will be seeing how bad the humiliation in each of the tests can get.

Yup, and when asked earlier in the season about which Scots might be in contention for a place on the tour, he said "oh you know, there's Hogg, and there's that winger, and the other boy has done well at centre..." In other words, Stuart Hogg was the only actual player he could name. In other words, he basically wasn't interested in considering Scottish players.

Meanwhilings of Wales, we've somehow ended up with 12 Welsh boys in the touring party, including folk like Leigh Halfwit who had a shocking 6 Nations by his own standards, and Alun Wyn Jones who is 104 and got shown up against Jonny Gray in the game at Murrayfield for the ageing workhorse which he now is.

It's a shite squad, and I don't think you need to merely 'hope' that the ABs destroy them. That's now a cast-iron certainty, the only reason to tune in now will be seeing how bad the humiliation in each of the tests can get.

Using the Farrell/Gatland logic there should be no welsh players in the team at all considering the performance of their club sides and the fact they took a beating from a scotland side deemed not good enough.

• Upvote 1

That says it all about Gatland really. I was at the Scotland v.s Wales game and it zoomed in on Gatland at the end and he looked fucking pissed off ha ha. And the guy sitting in front of me said "well how many of our boys will you be picking for the Lions now then". Well sorry mate but he's been a cock and only picked 2 I'm afraid :(

• 1 month later...

Absolutely correct.

So... NZ versus the Anglo-Irish Dragons.

That says it all about Gatland really. I was at the Scotland v.s Wales game and it zoomed in on Gatland at the end and he looked fucking pissed off ha ha. And the guy sitting in front of me said "well how many of our boys will you be picking for the Lions now then". Well sorry mate but he's been a cock and only picked 2 I'm afraid :(

Wales now the most represented side in the lions team

Gatland is making a total cunt of this, Ringrose, Launchbury, Ford, J.Gray must want to punch Gatland. I wish Finn Russell and Alan Dell told Gatland to shove his lions call up up his arsehole. I'd rather the csottish boys went back to the Scotland squad to play Fiji.

On a Positive note, yesterday was a great win for Scotland in Sydney. Finn Russell was immense.

Amazing result against Australia, the highlights are a thing of rare beauty. Some of Finn Russell's offloads... :spunk::notworthy:

Scotland beat Wales and Ireland in the six nations, we ran France close too. Wales finish 2nd bottom of the six nations, wale said haven't won in Australia for almost 50 years, Ireland haven't won there for almost 40 years, Scotland won last Saturday.

8 Welsh players in 23 man squad .....................Alyn Wyn Jones starts in front of Itjoe

6 Irish players

0 Scottish players.

Aye that makes sense Gatland!!!!

Scotland beat Wales and Ireland in the six nations, we ran France close too. Wales finish 2nd bottom of the six nations, wale said haven't won in Australia for almost 50 years, Ireland haven't won there for almost 40 years, Scotland won last Saturday.

8 Welsh players in 23 man squad .....................Alyn Wyn Jones starts in front of Itjoe

6 Irish players

0 Scottish players.

Aye that makes sense Gatland!!!!

He's an absolute prick. All Blacks to win without breaking sweat.

Ach they were made to work in spells by the Lions but it was easy as fuck for them.

The ABs were comfortable and expect it to be a tanking in 2nd test.

They know what they are up against now and it won't fear them.

Disappointing like as Gatland had a real chance to build a strong squad for this tour and he's made a right cunt of it. I mean let's face it tho the AB's are freaks of nature and are miles ahead of everybody on the planet but as you say it's going to be a piece of cake for them now in the 2nd test
  • 2 weeks later...

McJock with a pile of chips on his shoulder ^^^

Hopefully the lions win.

Would be an unbelievable achievement.

To even beat the ABs once was impressive enough

no chip on my shoulder, I don't feel british in anyway and don't feel any allegiance to british teams.

I'm sure you will jump on the bandwagon because sky sports told you to

enjoy the weekend yes fat cunt :beer: