Films

18 minutes ago, JumboJET said:

Pretty good film but I didn't find the lead actor all that convincing. 

He did look like De Niro, though.

Yeah, he wasn't very good. I read about him after it as it's odd not to see someone play that kind of role and then never see them again. Turns out he started doing drugs during that film and then killed a cop a few years later and went to prison.

To be fair, he was only in the 2nd half of the film and the lead was probably shared with De Niro and gangster boss

On 9/19/2023 at 8:17 PM, Daisy1903 said:

Rutger Hauers dying monologue. Completely ad-libbed. Tremendous. 

Can I just stop you there? Not ad libbed. The night before filming it he cut a few words out of what was in the script, and added the 'tears in the rain' phrase.

For sure he made it a lot better though.

Ive watched a bunch of movies recently:

Guy Ritchies The Covenant - 7/10.  I was wary, given the "Guy Ritches...." but actually a pretty enjoyable Afghanistan film, with some good action scenes.  True story etc.

The Engineer - 5/10. Forgettable film about israel/palestine and the revenge assassination of a bomb maker.  One actor in particular was wholly unconvincing as a shin bet agent.

Last Voyage of the Demeter - 6/10.  I really wanted this to be good but was disappointed.  Great sets and special effects etc, but quite a ponderous pace and the characters in the film were really slow to react to circumstances.  Which was infuriating.  Its too long at 2 hrs (?) and I found myself wishing it over.  NB - I was stoned when watching this, which may have affected my perception of the whole thing, including the length.  It also struck me towards the end that I think the characters were supposed to be only gradually finding out about vampires and their oddities (eg aversion to sunlight) during the film, which is why they were slow to take the various anti-vampire measures I was urging.  Whatever, folk were getting killed and yet there was no major search of the vessel till much later, FFS.

Day of the Jackal (1973) - 8/10.  Great adventure with the excellent Edward Fox as the Jackal.  One of the things I enjoyed most about it was marvelling at how much the world had changed since then and how much more laborious was detective work / spying, with much less technology then.   Eg getting a passport using the name of a person who died in infancy, or being able to dupe the authorities simply by changing the number plates on your car.  Or how you could not just do a simple database search on the PC, but had to get loads of guys to manually trawl through loads of papers.  Great plot.

The Fourth Protocol (1987) - 7/10.  Cold War film with Michael Cane and Pierce Brosnan.  Quite an interesting plot, which even I could follow.  

Looking at watching The Nun and The Nun 2 soon......

• Like 1

Winnie the Pooh:Blood and Honey.

Weird concept for a movie and think it could have been done a bit better overall, but not too bad. Will give it a 6/10. I read somewhere that the maker of it got death threats for making the beloved character into a killer. People really need to get a life, no one is forcing them to take their kids to see it. Same people who get offended over literally anything...

Anyway, I digress.

Saw X.

Was told this was an upgrade on the previous half dozen so went with it and yeah it is. Had an actual storyline instead of just a succession of folk being ripped apart in different ways. In terms of timeline I think it seems to be placed after Saw I. 

Was looking forward to Killers Of The Flower Moon coming out but just noticed the run time is 3h 26m. Not so sure now.

3 hours ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Saw X.

Was told this was an upgrade on the previous half dozen so went with it and yeah it is. Had an actual storyline instead of just a succession of folk being ripped apart in different ways. In terms of timeline I think it seems to be placed after Saw I. 

Was looking forward to Killers Of The Flower Moon coming out but just noticed the run time is 3h 26m. Not so sure now.

Scorcese loves a long film.

I watched Old Dads last night. Written and directed by stand up comedian and creator of the animated show, F is For Family, Bill Burr.

Bill Burr's a great comedian and he knows how to make a good movie. I hope he makes loads more films. Wouldn't mind seeing him do a dark comedy or 805 drama with dark comedy at some point.

The film is on Netflix, but here's a link to a pirate site for it, but make sure you have a good adblocker, ie...

https://adblockplus.org

Link to film: https://actvid.rs/watch-movie/watch-old-dads-full-101791.10023790

Enjoy! 😀

On 10/11/2023 at 2:24 AM, Jigsaw666 said:

I know. I saw The Irishman in the Belmont (now closed, grim) and that was long. I found Avatar 2 more of a slog, all those blue cunts yammering away did my head in, no way I'm watching the next three sequels. 

Killers of the Flower Moon was even longer at over 4 hours, but Scorsese and his longtime editor, Thelma Schoonmaker, know how to edit a film, mastered that art decades ago on Raging Bull, they spent almost a year editing that masterpiece.

I'll go and see Killers of the Flower Moon next week. There are 11:30 am screenings. Not exactly in the mood these days for depressing films, though.