Atmosphere

This was inspired by the whole AOC nonsense, but I feel it merits its own thread.

Our support has been very quiet particularly this season (can anyone actually think of a home match in 17/18 which has had a good noisy atmosphere??). I would even say our away support have become a lot quieter too.

I think there is 2 main reasons for this:

Firstly, unlike most clubs these days, we don't have an active ultras group. Now I'm not really into that whole scene and the style of songs they go for (I'm becoming an old twat!) but it seems to be the only way in Scottish football these days to get an atmosphere going.

Secondly I would say our big game bottling has deflated the support somewhat. It's not even just that we lose these games, but that our whole cautious, negative approach to these matches under McInnes totally fails to rouse or inspire the fans at all, leading to muted atmospheres in even the bigger games.

I genuinely believe Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Well fans go into matches against Celtic and Rangers with more belief that their team can make a game of it and get a result than we do right now. If you feel like your beaten before the game even starts and that you have pretty much no chance of winning a final if you even get there, is it any surprise that the support has lost its fire and passion?

our big game bottling has deflated the support somewhat

I would definitely agree with that. No-one, fans or players, really believes we can do it (especially v sellick) and we expect to lose.

Plus as a support we are bombarded with the idea that its good to be 2nd in the league and that represents success.

The team thrives off the atmosphere created by the fans, but the fans also need the team to give them something to get excited about. It's a symbiotic relationship.

The obvious comeback to Anthony O'Connor's bullshit is "what exactly are you lot giving us to cheer about?" The atmosphere in the Dons section was fine at Hampden on Saturday until the bizarre two-minute arse-collapse which cost us two goals. Knocked the stuffing out the support just as much as it did the players.

If you give the fans something too shout about, that wouldk help.

Also a new stadium, with local facilities to cater for boozing and stuff for mums and dads. Pittodrie has had its time, too much baggage and time for us to move on.

Aberdeen has never been a football city, so it's up to the club to get the city behinds us. Instead of fighting against one another. Most football teams in the uk would love what we have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some fans just dont want an atmosphere. In my experience, i sit in the RDS lower and have many times tried to sing along or start a chant. The family in front me put ear defenders on their two kids every time and give me a disapproving look. I have even been told to stop swearing before by people around me because they have young kids with them... fucking generation of pansies.

• Upvote 1

Our support has been very quiet particularly this season

I've particularly noticed it this season. Last few seasons I thought were pretty good, for us.. this season totally dire. I sit in the Main Stand and seems like I am the only one around me who tries to encourage the team / give the opposing team some stick.. What really annoys is those around me are quick to shout and bawl when something goes wrong..

Some fans just dont want an atmosphere. In my experience, i sit in the RDS lower and have many times tried to sing along or start a chant. The family in front me put ear defenders on their two kids every time and give me a disapproving look. I have even been told to stop swearing before by people around me because they have young kids with them... fucking generation of pansies.

I said a while ago on this issue (and of course everyone disagreed), each stand separately is a morgue. Of course no cunt is going to join in with singing in the RDS lower. You're surrounded by 45 year olds with their kids or old folks, and corporates. Nearly all season tickets.

There is no good location or end for young, blootered men to freely stand together.

• Upvote 1

This was inspired by the whole AOC nonsense, but I feel it merits its own thread.

Our support has been very quiet particularly this season (can anyone actually think of a home match in 17/18 which has had a good noisy atmosphere??). I would even say our away support have become a lot quieter too.

I think there is 2 main reasons for this:

Firstly, unlike most clubs these days, we don't have an active ultras group. Now I'm not really into that whole scene and the style of songs they go for (I'm becoming an old twat!) but it seems to be the only way in Scottish football these days to get an atmosphere going.

Secondly I would say our big game bottling has deflated the support somewhat. It's not even just that we lose these games, but that our whole cautious, negative approach to these matches under McInnes totally fails to rouse or inspire the fans at all, leading to muted atmospheres in even the bigger games.

I genuinely believe Hibs, Hearts, Killie, Well fans go into matches against Celtic and Rangers with more belief that their team can make a game of it and get a result than we do right now. If you feel like your beaten before the game even starts and that you have pretty much no chance of winning a final if you even get there, is it any surprise that the support has lost its fire and passion?

You can't know many Hearts fans then. All the ones I know went into the game with Aberdeen expecting to get thumped, never mind the Old Firm.

Back to the general topic, and I'm gonna feel old saying this, but if I were still a teenager I'd be looking at the groups at Celtic, Hibs and Motherwell and thinking "right, let's get our own one going".

The club's attitude towards the singing section was a joke - the tarpaulin banner and treating like an away support was out of order.

But, at the same time, how "organised" were the group there. They didn't have a name, I never saw them actively looking for members or encouraging other fans to join them and swell the numbers.

Fans in their 30s and 40s are not going to improve the atmosphere. It's up to the young ones to take the initiative.

The club should have moved the Family stand out of the Merkland and got the hard core noisy fans in there............to give the "singing section" the places in the ground that they did was fecking ridiculous, Upper RDS then a wee corner of the Merkland? utter crap

The club should have moved the Family stand out of the Merkland and got the hard core noisy fans in there............to give the "singing section" the places in the ground that they did was fecking ridiculous, Upper RDS then a wee corner of the Merkland? utter crap

Off the top off my head they've been in RDU, Y, Back to RDU, Section X and then the Merkland. It hasn't caught on wherever it's been probably largely down to the beauts who follow the singing section around the ground.

• Upvote 1

Off the top off my head they've been in RDU, Y, Back to RDU, Section X and then the Merkland. It hasn't caught on wherever it's been probably largely down to the beauts who follow the singing section around the ground.

Did they not have a spell in Section S?

Exciting football breeds excited fans. Pittodrie is a cold bastard place to be and unless there is some decent football on show, so its a general feeling of freezing your tits off, hoping for the final whistle in most games. The European games tend to bring more excitement and therefore atmosphere, but thats about as exciting as it gets at times.

As for cup games at Hampden, well i think AOC is speaking shite. We always have a good atmosphere, but when the shower of cunts on the park keeping shitting it, then the fans are within their right to turn on them and have a go. When you lose two goals like that so quickly, the fans will be deflated, but even more so when the team dont bother their arses to rectify it.

The club bent over to the cunts in the bottom of the RDS. They should have forced the (very small) family section into it for the few remaining seasons left at the dump.