Out Of Contract

If Hedges maintains his form till after New Year and forces himself back into the Welsh squad then it might be prudent to offer him a new deal fairly sharpish. Whilst I don't think he will ever be of interest to EPL teams, mid table Championship clubs would certainly be. On a newish contract, his value in the transfer market is enhanced and being involved internationally enhances it further. 

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

If Hedges maintains his form till after New Year and forces himself back into the Welsh squad then it might be prudent to offer him a new deal fairly sharpish. Whilst I don't think he will ever be of interest to EPL teams, mid table Championship clubs would certainly be. On a newish contract, his value in the transfer market is enhanced and being involved internationally enhances it further. 

At the same time we are losing money because of Covid so might not want to have to pay him more per week(potentially) and a signing on fee for giving him a new contract now? 

Lots of other players to be replaced or renewed this summer. 

On 11/9/2020 at 7:47 AM, Ten Caat said:

Potentially interest a top Welsh club

• Downvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, milne_afc said:

Scott Wright has kb’d the offer but Dons should qualify for some kind of compo if another club signs him in the summer.

No big loss imho

Has he actually turned it down? He’s been a stand out this season. Regardless of previous form he would be a big loss going forward. Only hedges would be a bigger loss. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if he waits to see what is on offer in January. But it would only take another bad injury or drop in form and all of a sudden he finds himself at St mirren.  It’s the risk you take I guess. 

2 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

Genuinely don't see Wright playing for anyone better than us. 2.5k cap for league 1 players and he is no where near consistent enough for a championship team to pay him any more.

Probably many would have said same about Hedges prior to this season though but he was given more opportunity to change views of him that Wright has, probably because McInnes signed him

40 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Probably many would have said same about Hedges prior to this season though but he was given more opportunity to change views of him that Wright has, probably because McInnes signed him

Hedges was offered the contract and opportunity to play championship football with Barnsley. Obviously didn't back his own abilities to sign it.

3 hours ago, Durrant Dived said:

Genuinely don't see Wright playing for anyone better than us. 2.5k cap for league 1 players and he is no where near consistent enough for a championship team to pay him any more.

I'm certain that England will view him as physically too slight. And nowhere near consistent enough as you say. In Scotland, (arse cheeks excepted obv) only United, Hearts and Hibs could afford to pay him more than us if they really wanted to on a one off basis, but they'd only do that for an absolutely outstanding talent and I don't think Wright fits that profile. Good luck to him if he thinks he can get better elsewhere but I suspect he may well regret it 2 years down the line when he's plying his trade somewhere like St J or Motherwell for a grand a week less than we offered.

8 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm certain that England will view him as physically too slight. And nowhere near consistent enough as you say. In Scotland, (arse cheeks excepted obv) only United, Hearts and Hibs could afford to pay him more than us if they really wanted to on a one off basis, but they'd only do that for an absolutely outstanding talent and I don't think Wright fits that profile. Good luck to him if he thinks he can get better elsewhere but I suspect he may well regret it 2 years down the line when he's plying his trade somewhere like St J or Motherwell for a grand a week less than we offered.

Completely agree. Amazed he has turned down the offer unless he is just trying to get a few more quid from us and does want to remain here.