Site Security

daytripping

I was always led to believe admin here would never give up IP numbers and the server was US based, now Cheese has been pulled up and arrested can we take it that was bollocks??

I spent years of my life involved in a internet defamation case, it set legal presedence for stuff like this, my advice is tell anyone interested to fuck off, costs many thousands to get it to the court stage, even then needs to be the top courts, in my case the old bailey in London, I won easily. It cost me a first class stamp, he was near 50 grand.

The case is all over the internet but it's boring, just wanted to say if anyone ever gets bothered by this kind of stuff just PM me.

I was always led to believe admin here would never give up IP numbers and the server was US based, now Cheese has been pulled up and arrested can we take it that was bollocks??

I spent years of my life involved in a internet defamation case, it set legal presedence for stuff like this, my advice is tell anyone interested to fuck off, costs many thousands to get it to the court stage, even then needs to be the top courts, in my case the old bailey in London, I won easily. It cost me a first class stamp, he was near 50 grand.

The case is all over the internet but it's boring, just wanted to say if anyone ever gets bothered by this kind of stuff just PM me.

Could you provide some links to this?

Thanks.

Nigel

Nigel Smith is the biggest wanker known to man, has a restraining order stopping him taking people to court, did it as a hobby, was unemployed and thought he was a QC.

In the case the judge said online defamation was akin to vulgar abuse in a pub conversation.

But a few recent cases suggest that things may be starting to shift a bit. Some judges seem receptive to an argument that readers of some online postings won’t take them seriously. This has been described as the “ALL-CAPS” defence to defamation.

For example, Eady J commented that bulletin board postings were “often uninhibited, casual and ill-thought-out; those who participate know this and expect a certain amount of repartee or ‘give and take.’” He said that some inflammatory comments might be taken as mere vulgar abuse and therefore not taken by reasonable readers as intended to be accurate (Smith v ADVFN Plc [2008] EWHC 1797 QB).

Did you get frogmarched to the cells as well Eric?

What's the link between posting shite on here and obtaining an IP address?

Is it straightforward for cops to identify folk quite easily.

Well clearly it is.....as Dayts said I thought there was somewhat of a security blanket of servers being US based.

Nae sure if @@Bebo and co can refuse if the @rozzers ask them for an IP and the email address used to register the account. Fail to see anything illegal that has been said on here though.

If Officer Dibble tells Bebo he needs an IP address for some allegedly heinous written statement on this site, my understanding is then Bebo has no choice but to hand it over.

But, an IP address doesn't tell them who the alleged culprit is. The IP address will belong to an ISP (Internet Service Provider), my understanding is then the feds need some sort of warrant to then ask the ISP who their customer was using that IP address. Based on that, they show up lights blazing and haul off the accused.

Email addresses are meaningless. They can be tied in to mobile numbers, but mobile numbers don't have to have an owner (well they do in this country, but that's a different story).

If Officer Dibble tells Bebo he needs an IP address for some allegedly heinous written statement on this site, my understanding is then Bebo has no choice but to hand it over.

If that's the case, he can just hand one over from where a hatter has been logged in abroad or whatever.

I, par example, must have 100s of different IP addresses I've logged in from all over the place.

But, an IP address doesn't tell them who the alleged culprit is. The IP address will belong to an ISP (Internet Service Provider), my understanding is then the feds need some sort of warrant to then ask the ISP who their customer was using that IP address. Based on that, they show up lights blazing and haul off the accused.

Email addresses are meaningless. They can be tied in to mobile numbers, but mobile numbers don't have to have an owner (well they do in this country, but that's a different story).

That still does not tell them who was using the said computer for instance might be shared between 5 people who all log on under the same isp

did boofon not say he had the police at his door as well

That's true to a certain extent.

If the IP was in use by an office for example the IT geeks would then be able to trace it back to a particular computer. Even then it's not proof the owner of said computer actually did it.

If however it is traced back to a household, then blaming the wife, bairns or dug won't help matters.

Aye ok Sherlock

That's true to a certain extent.

If the IP was in use by an office for example the IT geeks would then be able to trace it back to a particular computer. Even then it's not proof the owner of said computer actually did it.

If however it is traced back to a household, then blaming the wife, bairns or dug won't help matters.

[...] the Court is concerned about the lack of facts establishing that Defendant was using that IP address at that particular time. Indeed, the FAC does not explain what link, if any, there is between Defendant and the IP address. It is possible that Plaintiff sued Defendant because he is the subscriber to IP address 68.8.137.53. (The Court notes that it is actually unclear whether the IP address is registered to Defendant). As recognized by many courts, just because an IP address is registered to an individual does not mean that he or she is guilty of infringement when that IP address is used to commit infringing activity.

Fact is Bebo shouldn't be giving out any details about posters without a Norwich Pharmacal order, that's where it gets complicated as to bring a case to get such an order costs about 3 grand. How the police know where posters live without such an order is what I'm not understanding, if anyone gets an email from the police just ignore, they'll never go for an order over an online sick joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_Pharmacal_order