Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

An independent Scotland would look to introduce its own currency within the first few years of leaving the UK under a new policy set to be introduced by the SNP.

Under the proposals, Scotland would initially keep the pound during a "transition period" after independence.

But the Scottish Parliament would decide within its first term when to introduce a separate Scottish currency.

The move would be a major policy shift from the 2014 independence referendum.

The Scottish government's White Paper on independence ahead of the referendum said Scotland would share the pound in a formal currency union with the rest of the UK after independence.

However, this was ruled out by the UK government - and the currency issue was widely seen as a major reason for the Yes campaign losing the referendum.

An independent Scotland would look to introduce its own currency within the first few years of leaving the UK under a new policy set to be introduced by the SNP.

Under the proposals, Scotland would initially keep the pound during a "transition period" after independence.

But the Scottish Parliament would decide within its first term when to introduce a separate Scottish currency.

The move would be a major policy shift from the 2014 independence referendum.

Don't see where the "new policy" is.

Basically they still don't have a plan - they will "look to" do things and "decide" later - and will ultimately do things on the hoof, if they ever won a referendum.

Any new currency would only be the Euro and given the euro zone is teetering on the edge of a recession, they can shove that.  

The fact remains about the inherent silliness of choosing to leave a currency which is run with you in mind, for one which isnt run with you in mind - Italy, Spain, Greece etc will testify to that.

Probably they will lose power after the next election anyway, thanks to making us the highest taxed part of the UK, with their "relaxing with a beer" tax and "going to work" tax the most petty and greedy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Don't see where the "new policy" is.

Basically they still don't have a plan - they will "look to" do things and "decide" later - and will ultimately do things on the hoof, if they ever won a referendum.

Any new currency would only be the Euro and given the euro zone is teetering on the edge of a recession, they can shove that.

The fact remains about the inherent silliness of choosing to leave a currency which is run with you in mind, for one which isnt run with you in mind - Italy, Spain, Greece etc will testify to that.

Probably they will lose power after the next election anyway, thanks to making us the highest taxed part of the UK, with their "relaxing with a beer" tax and "going to work" tax the most petty and greedy.

Well, it looks like someone can't read.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Nicola Sturgeon has said she wants to hold a second referendum on Scottish independence by 2021 if the country is taken out of the EU.

The first minister told Holyrood that she would introduce legislation soon to set the rules for another vote.

But she indicated that she would need the agreement of the UK government before actually holding a referendum.

Downing Street has previously said it will not grant a new Section 30 order, which underpinned the 2014 referendum.

But Ms Sturgeon said this position was "unsustainable" and challenged her party to increase support and demand for independence.

She told MSPs: "A choice between Brexit and a future for Scotland as an independent European nation should be offered in the lifetime of this parliament.

"I can confirm that the Scottish government will act to ensure that the option of giving people a choice on independence later in this term of parliament is progressed."

The next Scottish Parliament election is due to be held in 2021.

Ms Sturgeon said she hoped legislation for a referendum will be in place by the end of this year, which would allow a vote to be held once a Section 30 order is granted by the UK government.

She insisted: "If we are successful in further growing the support and the demand for independence, then no UK government will be able to stop the will of the people or stop that will being expressed."

Although I'm a YES/Leave voter, I'm satisfied that we are being taken out of the EU (particularly the Single Market and Customs Union) against our will. My preference is for independence in EFTA/EEA, but that is a fight for another time, IF the SNP keep their word and engage with all sections of Scottish society and explore all options. I'm far from convinced she'll deliver independence, but we will see.

Keeping the faithful strung along, no idea they're being played

I agree, she's stalling for time as she is out of her depth and can't advance the case. She is no Salmond, that is for sure. I find it cringeworthy how a minority in the independence movement refer to her on first name terms like "Oor Nicola". No politician should ever be hoisted ok box a pedestal like that, regardless of which side they're on.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I hope a second vote does happen, humiliation and a landslide for no would be so funny.

I actually voted yes the first time, got caught up in the braveheart stuff, cold reality is we'd be fucked and bankrupt within a year.

Exactly same here, never again

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Aye? OK then, rather a toad than a spastic.

While you're perfectly entitled to an opinion, as are the rest of us, calling us spastics isn't going to win people back to Unionism. I've made it perfectly clear what I think of the current SNP leadership and their vision of independence-lite - as well as the uphill task we may face to win a referendum because of it - there's no denying that Better Together Mk.II won't work a second time and in order to secure the "Union", a positive case will have to be made.

Let's hear yours...

• Upvote 1

While you're perfectly entitled to an opinion, as are the rest of us, calling us spastics isn't going to win people back to Unionism. I've made it perfectly clear what I think of the current SNP leadership and their vision of independence-lite - as well as the uphill task we may face to win a referendum because of it - there's no denying that Better Together Mk.II won't work a second time and in order to secure the "Union", a positive case will have to be made.

Let's hear yours...

Spastic comment was a response to being called a toad as if you didn't know that. I'm interested to know why you are suggesting the difference on offer is between independent Scotland and a country run by Johnson and Farage. That doesn't make any sense to me. What exactly is the difference between your politics and Nigel farage? Both nationalists both want out of EU

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1