beer gut

For or against the A.W.P.R.?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. For or against the A.W.P.R.?

• For
    • Against
    • For, but wrong route
    • Brown

Drivers in the UK are some of the worst I've seen FS. Flying up roads beside schools, thinking its a race to get from one set of lights to another etc. Pedestrians always have right of way, read your highway code my friend.

The pecking order is simple when it comes to the roads.

Pedestrians

Cyclists

Trams

Buses

Cars

Buses only go before cars because you need one hell of a car to go against a bus and come off best.

With a proper public transport system that includes trams though there would be a lot less cars on the road so you'd get to your destination quicker without having to do the 4 stop race up Union St. Is that not worth giving way for?

Works in Holland, works in Belgium, works in Germany, works in San Fran, works everywhere I've seen it actually bar Edinburgh but then there are a lot of Audi's there as well.

I don't disagree that the general standard of driving in the UK is appalling, but we're a long way from the worst, and perhaps that's because you've managed to list some of the countries with the best driving standards, I would add Sweden, Switzerland and Canada to that list.

However compare us to the Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, or anywhere on the sub continent and it's a different matter.

I totally disagree about flying past schools though, having just about now got two kids through a number of different schools, one thing not to be complained about is drivers speeding past; mums parking anywhere they like including on zig-zags, oh yes, but speeding, not at all.

Pedestrians always have right of way, read your highway code my friend.

Not sure where you're getting that one from?

You're wrong there mate, they have to abide by the laws of the road like anyone else, and the only time they have right of way is at specified crossings (and then only if they're following the correct procedure), or where they have started to cross before you appear. Otherwise they have to wait for a safe opportunity to cross.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070108

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

You're wrong there mate, they have to abide by the laws of the road like anyone else, and the only time they have right of way is at specified crossings (and then only if they're following the correct procedure), or where they have started to cross before you appear. Otherwise they have to wait for a safe opportunity to cross.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070108

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070332

I didnt mean they could just jump out onto the road at any time and expect cars to stop but on the likes of Union Street where there are lots of side streets coming off etc and masses of pedestrians drivers have no issue taking these crossing/corners at 20 mph and will actually speed up if they see people crossing, doesnt happen anywhere else I've been. Drivers in other countries have a lot more patience... maybe not patience, tolerance. I've had to learn how to cross the road all over again. Cars coming from the other side first (took me about 6 months to get used to it when living abroad as well) and I became used to just walking out in most streets bar the main ones.

I wouldnt say the driving skill of Clog/Belg/Gerry drivers is higher that Brits, just their consideration for those on the roads with them. I'd say thats why trams, mopeds and push bikes work in other countries but not here, that and the fact that if a car hits a tram or cyclist in Holland its the drivers fault no matter what where as I'd say here the blame would be passed back and forth by both the people in the accident and the insurance companies. The standard of road is a lot higher there as well though which probably helps a lot. You'd think the bad roads, potholes and blind corners here would make people slow down a bit but it doesnt. They just plough on through as fast as they can because 'they know the road'.

I notice it more when I'm on the vespa, all these Audi driving tossers in their big steal boxes not giving a sh*t about anyone or anything else on the road bar themselves. You should see the speed some of the cars go along the top of my road towards Tesco in the morning FS, its crazy. I'm down in the Laurels at the moment, its a school crossing road and cars are going 50-60 in a 30 zone. All pretty pointless as well, as soon as they get to the gym they are sitting for 20 minutes trying to get over the bridge...

• 5 months later...

A judge has ruled against campaigners who are trying to block the building of a bypass around Aberdeen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14489401

Do you think we could just get this thing built now FFS? :banghead:

Brilliant news!!!

Any appeal should be rejected, just get the fecking thing built.

Mr farqhuarson von patrick fit ever he's called (Mr We don't need a bypass) can feck off back to his mansion and build a high wall around his estate, tosser.

Between the bypass, Trump golf course, 3rd bridge for Bridge of Don, anti runway extension protestersand even to an extent the Union Terrace gardens idea i've actually lost the plot. Ok maybe the 3rd bridge is a bit much but the other things are examples of things that will help our city. We are still stuck in the 20th century and will never improve if all these plans are thwarted.

blowj,

aberdeen is an utter joke.

the europeans wouldnt stand for this.

if it improved the town/city, it would get done.

Aberdeen is too relient on the Oil Money, thats all they see...thats all they care about! Doesn't matter if the City Centre is becoming a Junkies walkway and the number of (decent) shops open on Union Street is lower than a grannys pair of tits. We have lots of Oil!

Oil has been good to the City and it will continue to be good for decades yet, we don't rely so much on North sea oil these days, lots of equipment and experience being exported from Aberdeen, all over the World.

Longer runway, proper roads system, world class gold courses, city centre plaza, money will soon start to flow back into the city and it will improve.

Good news.

Happy with this. It'll make getting to the new stadium easier for people from the north and west too.

Not really. There are no car parking spaces. It'll be fine for the odd supporters bus or two but AFC want people to park their cars away from the ground and get buses up to Loirston. The bypass won't make a jot of difference to that.

Oil has been good to the City and it will continue to be good for decades yet, we don't rely so much on North sea oil these days, lots of equipment and experience being exported from Aberdeen, all over the World.

Longer runway, proper roads system, world class gold courses, city centre plaza, money will soon start to flow back into the city and it will improve.

I really hope so! But we keep blocking anything that is meant to progress this city. The golf course, the runway, the road system, the wind farms! If we didn't have the Oil I doubt they would have been quite as eager to block the Golf Course say.

The only revenue source you have identified there is the golf course.

Part of the reason the bypass has been finally approved (and speaking from the view-point of a relative tree-hugger compared to most on here, I'm in favour) is the Energetica corridor. This, for those not in the know, is the planned renewable technology industrial estate to be spread at intervals along the A96 North of Aberdeen.

The development of the 2nd generation offshore turbines presently mooted for the coast off Balmedie is part of this.

A development currently vehemently opposed by the ridiculously coiffured owner of earlier mentioned golf course.

Taking the above into account, do you see something wrong with letting public opinion and local tabloid newspapers dictate the planning policy in this country?

Part of the reason the bypass has been finally approved (and speaking from the view-point of a relative tree-hugger compared to most on here, I'm in favour) is the Energetica corridor. This, for those not in the know, is the planned renewable technology industrial estate to be spread at intervals along the A96 North of Aberdeen.

The development of the 2nd generation offshore turbines presently mooted for the coast off Balmedie is part of this.

A development currently vehemently opposed by the ridiculously coiffured owner of earlier mentioned golf course.

Taking the above into account, do you see something wrong with letting public opinion and local tabloid newspapers dictate the planning policy in this country?

a fine idea if they improve the road from Bridge of Don to Peterheed.

It's not all about new revenue, its about improving the quality of life for the people and businesses of the North East, this in turn will bring extra jobs but even if it didn't it means Joe Bloggs who lives in Stoney but works in Dyce will be able to spend an extra hour at home with his family instead of sitting churning out fumes in a traffic jam.

fwiw I agree with Mr Trump, he's went to the time and expense to bring a magnificant course to our shores which will bring in tourists and our response is to tell him the view he thought he purchased is about to be destroyed by a dozen turbines! He must be a very patient man as If I was a billionaire i'd long ago have lost patience with the backward thinkers amongst the North East. Build the turbines (if they must be built) at Nigg Bay or some obscure location, not in front of our City and Balmedie.

It's not all about new revenue, its about improving the quality of life for the people and businesses of the North East, this in turn will bring extra jobs but even if it didn't it means Joe Bloggs who lives in Stoney but works in Dyce will be able to spend an extra hour at home with his family instead of sitting churning out fumes in a traffic jam.

fwiw I agree with Mr Trump, he's went to the time and expense to bring a magnificant course to our shores which will bring in tourists and our response is to tell him the view he thought he purchased is about to be destroyed by a dozen turbines! He must be a very patient man as If I was a billionaire i'd long ago have lost patience with the backward thinkers amongst the North East. Build the turbines (if they must be built) at Nigg Bay or some obscure location, not in front of our City and Balmedie.

I'm no meteorologist but I would think the wind in the North Sea is just as fast slightly beyond the horizon as it is a mile off the coast.

Yes the water is deeper, in places, but if its that important (which it isnt) and they can build platforms that can stand in water 5 times as deep then they can find a bit of land under the sea that cant be seen from the shore but is shallow enough for these to stand on.

win win

Between the bypass, Trump golf course, 3rd bridge for Bridge of Don, anti runway extension protestersand even to an extent the Union Terrace gardens idea i've actually lost the plot. Ok maybe the 3rd bridge is a bit much but the other things are examples of things that will help our city. We are still stuck in the 20th century and will never improve if all these plans are thwarted.

Absolute joke!!!!!!!! :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Agree with the rest bar the 3rd bridge.

Surely you can see the concerns the folk in Tillydrone have for the bridge? Yes we need another bridge from BoD, no doubt about that but forcing folk out of their homes with shitty compensation isna fair.

So you'd build turbines in an unsuitable location just to keep some rich twat happy?

I just pray you never get elected to the council as you sound even more clueless than them.

Agree with the rest bar the 3rd bridge.

Surely you can see the concerns the folk in Tillydrone have for the bridge? Yes we need another bridge from BoD, no doubt about that but forcing folk out of their homes with shitty compensation isna fair.

The plans for that bridge have been in place and known about for almost 100 years bobo. There were plans drawn up just before WWI that showed 3 bridges, 1 coming through tilly. Then again in the 60's and again in the 80's, the bridge has been planned for longer than most people have been alive. If someone has bought a house there then they really should've looked into it properly before giving the council 10K for a house worth 60K+.

The ones that dont own their flats are council tenants, if the council say move they move.

Having the largest suburban sprawl in Europe with 2 single lanes to get out of it is utterly ridiculous. Over 22K people live there, there's around 10K cars trying to get out of it in the morning and the same trying to get back in there in the evening. All that traffic over two single lane bridges, bridges that also service the whole of the north from Aberdeen (Ellon etc) and also the New Machar side as well because they all come in the country road and go over Persley bridge.

Council doesnt help though, look at the new places being built at Muggimoss... If the council had shown any sort of foresight they would've made sure space was left in the plans SMG submitted to widen Muggiemoss Road all the way up so the houses on the water side could still park their cars and traffic can flow both ways. Instead SMG are allowed to build to the pavement which means that there will be around another 1000 or so cars travelling up and down a narrow road that has parked cars on both sides of it.

I really wonder how these idiots get dressed in the morning sometimes.

The plans for that bridge have been in place and known about for almost 100 years bobo. There were plans drawn up just before WWI that showed 3 bridges, 1 coming through tilly. Then again in the 60's and again in the 80's, the bridge has been planned for longer than most people have been alive. If someone has bought a house there then they really should've looked into it properly before giving the council 10K for a house worth 60K+.

The ones that dont own their flats are council tenants, if the council say move they move.

Having the largest suburban sprawl in Europe with 2 single lanes to get out of it is utterly ridiculous. Over 22K people live there, there's around 10K cars trying to get out of it in the morning and the same trying to get back in there in the evening. All that traffic over two single lane bridges, bridges that also service the whole of the north from Aberdeen (Ellon etc) and also the New Machar side as well because they all come in the country road and go over Persley bridge.

Council doesnt help though, look at the new places being built at Muggimoss... If the council had shown any sort of foresight they would've made sure space was left in the plans SMG submitted to widen Muggiemoss Road all the way up so the houses on the water side could still park their cars and traffic can flow both ways. Instead SMG are allowed to build to the pavement which means that there will be around another 1000 or so cars travelling up and down a narrow road that has parked cars on both sides of it.

I really wonder how these idiots get dressed in the morning sometimes.

I'm not too clued up on it Bri, I just know some folk who have bought their houses but been told "this is happening, this is our offer so you move". Begs the question why would the council let these folk even buy these houses if the plan was always to move them out.

If the plans have been on the go for almost 100 years then why has it never happened, or even looked like happening?

I'm not too clued up on it Bri, I just know some folk who have bought their houses but been told "this is happening, this is our offer so you move". Begs the question why would the council let these folk even buy these houses if the plan was always to move them out.

If the plans have been on the go for almost 100 years then why has it never happened, or even looked like happening?

It would have been easy money coming in for the council at that time.

To be fair to the residents of Tillydrone they should be paying the council to give up their homes. ;)

Thing is bobo, you buy a council house you get a massive discount... I bought mine in tilly for 18K and sold it for 85K. These people wanting compo or high values are taking the piss, they've already been given a council handout of sorts.

Its never happened because Grandholme was totally private and as long as the mill owned all the land and were holding it to ransom things like this would never come off. Now the land has been divided up and sold off it means the council can get it at a decent price without all the legal hassles. That and also the council in their wisdom seem to think the bypass is the answer to all out traffic problems. They seem to think the haddogan roundabout will be clear as soon as the bypas opens. Now they have researched it properly they realise thats sh*te so the 3rd bridge is getting the go ahead.

I dont mind, 3rd bridge or duel carriageway on both bridges we have already and also opening up the roads around the bridges to duelers as well, a redesign of the haddogan so it has slip roads and a fly over or 2 and its sorted... anything to save sitting for anything up to half an hour in the morning to get from tesco to the haddogan.

• 2 weeks later...

The cants are back in the paper today saying they are planning another appeal :banghead:

The judge that has limited their liability should be shot. The Scottish Exec has spend over 1.5m on legal fees and maybe the same again on staffing costs fighting these tossers who can at most only be liable for something like 40K of costs.

a fine idea if they improve the road from Bridge of Don to Peterheed.

Should have been dual carriageway all the way eons ago. Either that or a train line put back in.

The cants are back in the paper today saying they are planning another appeal :banghead:

I would just get salmond to go out there and punch them all in their heads. This is taking the piss. Was the f**ker not supposed to be nearing completion by now?

what route does it take?

i doubt theres any really nice villages that will be obliterated by the by-pass so i fail to see a reason for not having it.

aberdeen is worringly isolated, both on the road and via the airport.

if the bypass would help the local area then its a good thing.

Works in Holland, works in Belgium, works in Germany, works in San Fran, works everywhere I've seen it actually bar Edinburgh but then there are a lot of Audi's there as well.

speaking of holland nad edinburgh.

what the f**k is the point of a tram line in edinburgh?

last time i was there the place was a shamblems, just putting in a tram.

they should look at foreign civil eng projects to see who to do it properly.

speaking of holland nad edinburgh.

what the f**k is the point of a tram line in edinburgh?

last time i was there the place was a shamblems, just putting in a tram.

they should look at foreign civil eng projects to see who to do it properly.

god knows Bluto

you've seen them in action properly, you'll get what I'm saying

half the reason they dont work in the burger is they only have a couple of routes running through the centre so cars still rule the roost.