Torry's A Mad Place

Ke1t

• 6 years later...

Residents in an Aberdeen community today claimed the hot weather has created a pungent pong that has left some of them retching in the streets.

The Torry Pong – described by one woman as “a cocktail of ammonia, cat pee and onions” – has got worse in recent days.
The community has long been plagued by odours, which residents believe comes from the Nigg wastewater treatment plant, however, the summer heatwave prompted a fresh wave of complaints to Scottish Water and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa).
Both agencies have now launched investigations to get to the root of the problem.
Jasmin Gray, 24, who lives on Victoria Road, said: “It was so bad when I was walking home from work on Monday night that I was actually gagging.
“I’ve never smelt anything like it before – it’s like a cocktail of ammonia, onions and cat pee.”
Kim Main, manager at the Grampian Bar on Victoria Road, said the smell has even affected business.
She said: “When we open the bar it’s like a catch 22 – because of the heat it’s too warm to keep the doors closed but if we open the doors it brings in the smell.
“We have had customers complaining about it – it’s affecting businesses in the area. The businesses along the road couldn’t even open the door because it was making them sick. It’s getting out of hand. As soon as you come over the bridge the smell hits you. I have lived in Torry all my life and I have never smelled anything like this – it’s rancid.”
Torry Community Council chairman Ron Pushkins said the spell of hot weather has made the smell worse.
He said: “The smell has always been an ongoing issue but it’s got worse with the warm weather. I would always encourage people to report the smell to Sepa and write down the complaint number.”
A Scottish Water spokesman said it takes “all odour complaints seriously” and will “investigate thoroughly” when concerns are raised, adding: “Our sewer response team attended in the Torry area on Monday after reports of odour issues.
“They carried out an investigation and found no issues with any Scottish Water assets in the area.”
James Smith, Sepa’s unit manager in Aberdeen, said: “We received eight complaints about odours in the Torry area over the weekend and are currently investigating the potential source of these.
“Sepa is aware that there are a large number of commercial and industrial premises in the Torry area that are capable of giving rise to offensive odours, particularly during the current warm weather.
“Our officers continue to work with Aberdeen City Council in a bid to identify the source.”
Councillor John Wheeler, operational delivery convener for Aberdeen City Council said: “We have received a number of complaints regarding different odours being reported within the Torry and Ferryhill areas. Our officers will continue to work with SEPA.
“To date there is no definitive source for the smell. The continuing warm weather is likely to be responsible for exacerbating any odours.”

Residents in an Aberdeen community today claimed the hot weather has created a pungent pong that has left some of them retching in the streets.

The Torry Pong – described by one woman as “a cocktail of ammonia, cat pee and onions” – has got worse in recent days.
The community has long been plagued by odours, which residents believe comes from the Nigg wastewater treatment plant, however, the summer heatwave prompted a fresh wave of complaints to Scottish Water and the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (Sepa).
Both agencies have now launched investigations to get to the root of the problem.
Jasmin Gray, 24, who lives on Victoria Road, said: “It was so bad when I was walking home from work on Monday night that I was actually gagging.
“I’ve never smelt anything like it before – it’s like a cocktail of ammonia, onions and cat pee.”
Kim Main, manager at the Grampian Bar on Victoria Road, said the smell has even affected business.
She said: “When we open the bar it’s like a catch 22 – because of the heat it’s too warm to keep the doors closed but if we open the doors it brings in the smell.
“We have had customers complaining about it – it’s affecting businesses in the area. The businesses along the road couldn’t even open the door because it was making them sick. It’s getting out of hand. As soon as you come over the bridge the smell hits you. I have lived in Torry all my life and I have never smelled anything like this – it’s rancid.”
Torry Community Council chairman Ron Pushkins said the spell of hot weather has made the smell worse.
He said: “The smell has always been an ongoing issue but it’s got worse with the warm weather. I would always encourage people to report the smell to Sepa and write down the complaint number.”
A Scottish Water spokesman said it takes “all odour complaints seriously” and will “investigate thoroughly” when concerns are raised, adding: “Our sewer response team attended in the Torry area on Monday after reports of odour issues.
“They carried out an investigation and found no issues with any Scottish Water assets in the area.”
James Smith, Sepa’s unit manager in Aberdeen, said: “We received eight complaints about odours in the Torry area over the weekend and are currently investigating the potential source of these.
“Sepa is aware that there are a large number of commercial and industrial premises in the Torry area that are capable of giving rise to offensive odours, particularly during the current warm weather.
“Our officers continue to work with Aberdeen City Council in a bid to identify the source.”
Councillor John Wheeler, operational delivery convener for Aberdeen City Council said: “We have received a number of complaints regarding different odours being reported within the Torry and Ferryhill areas. Our officers will continue to work with SEPA.
“To date there is no definitive source for the smell. The continuing warm weather is likely to be responsible for exacerbating any odours.”

:hysterical:

Dinna get these issues up in Banff

Stinking toonser Cunts

Have they stopped spraying pig slurry on the fields?

I well remember driving around the bumpkin portion of Aberdeenshire, my nose assaulted by the putrid stench of pig shit that the yokels use as fertilizer. I'm not saying I don't love the delicious produce that the wurzels supply for the city, I'm just saying they have their own particular range of horrendous smells that equal any stench you might get in a mad place like Torry.

Torry's fucking mad, btw...

Is it still mostly Polish refugees?