That’s how I view it too V but I’d also throw in specific cover for the early euro ties to avoid the situation we had with Hoban last year.

That and the fact Ashton didn’t tend to have a problem with the Stenny, St Mirren and a Hamilton’s of this world, indeed popped in a goal or two against them.

No, a bit like Langfield, his demons lay elsewhere.

Positives - He will give us a bit more height and possibly goals from our corners. He has the odd good game.

Negatives - Everything else.

I'm really trying to remain positive about this signing, but it's difficult. He had a good spell, which usually ends in a horrible mistake. In saying that, McKenna, Considine and Devlin have all made mistakes in a few games this season, so he's not alone.

#PleaseDon'tBeShit

Hoban would be an investment/gamble.

Taylor is a safe signing.

McInnes cant be blamed for safe signings though given how badly he has recruitment in the last two years

Don't think the words Taylor and safe belong in the same sentence bud

At least we know what we're getting with Ash. He wasn't as bad as folk would have you believe, I think its more the fact it signals the level of ambition within our scouting/management team that 'just ok' is adequate for us that's got peoples backs up. He'll settle in quick has the added bonus not having a career threatening injury or being a regular on the treatment table which has been a theme of most of our recent signings.

• Downvote 1

Its things like that last paragraph that make me realise there's no point in engaging most people on here anymore

What fucking relevance is there in saying that?

The window isn't even open yet and there is NO way we will start with considine left back

The fire now is too big for me to control, I'm out

Your lack of self-awareness is fucking staggering.

• Upvote 10

Its things like that last paragraph that make me realise there's no point in engaging most people on here anymore

What fucking relevance is there in saying that?

The window isn't even open yet and there is NO way we will start with considine left back

The fire now is too big for me to control, I'm out

Your lack of self-awareness is fucking staggering.

• Upvote 5

At least we know what we're getting with Ash. He wasn't as bad as folk would have you believe, I think its more the fact it signals the level of ambition within our scouting/management team that 'just ok' is adequate for us that's got peoples backs up. He'll settle in quick has the added bonus not having a career threatening injury or being a regular on the treatment table which has been a theme of most of our recent signings.

This is where I am at.

Annoyed about the lazy unambitious nature of the signing.

Actually think he was good enough based on his previous time at the club.

Possibly (hopefully) landed a bargain given his circumstances versus what we were offering Shaughnessy as a final offer

It also gets a signing sorted quickly and buys us a month or two on the left back slot (Consi fills in)

I think its more the fact it signals the level of ambition within our scouting/management team that 'just ok' is adequate for us that's got peoples backs up.

I think that's exactly it. It also all depends whether he's coming back as a first pick or whether he's coming to be a back-up. The concern I have as it looks like McInnes has lost faith in Devlin (hence Considine usurping him in the side) and Taylor is coming back to take that spot permanently.

We know what Taylor is, an adequate SPFL Premiership level CB who'll have the odd bombscare moment/game once every 7 or 8 games. Id say most folk would rather we were aiming for better than that. Taking a chance on a younger player with a much higher upside. However given McInnes' transfer record last summer, I can see why he's going back to what he knows.

This "lazy scouting" argument is baffling. We've a whole midfield to source as well as some creative players attacking who can break teams down and probably at least another striker. Central defence is not a priority and what we needed was depth, why would we waste scouting resources on a position that isn't a priority?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This "lazy scouting" argument is baffling. We've a whole midfield to source as well as some creative players attacking who can break teams down and probably at least another striker. Central defence is not a priority and what we needed was depth, why would we waste scouting resources on a position that isn't a priority?

Yes.

I was disappointed when Taylor initially left and don't think this is nearly as bad a signing as folk are making out. Was our best defender during his previous time here. He'd start for most squads in the SPL outside of Celtic. Will most likely play in a rotational role and is an upgrade on Reynolds and Hoban (albeit because he was injury prone). 

Just realized he scored 9 goals for us during his previous spell - his height at set pieces will be an asset.

• Downvote 5

I was disappointed when Taylor initially left and don't think this is nearly as bad a signing as folk are making out. Was our best defender during his previous time here. He'd start for most squads in the SPL outside of Celtic. Will most likely play in a rotational role and is an upgrade on Reynolds and Hoban (albeit because he was injury prone). 

Just realized he scored 9 goals for us during his previous spell - his height at set pieces will be an asset.

3 a season. Wowzers! 

Scores a goal for every 2 he fucks up for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Too sensible a post for the negative brigade on here

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

To please FnD?

• Downvote 1

Really not sure how I feel on this one.  On the eye-test, he has absolute howlers a few times a season and often doesn't convince.  His ability on the ball is lacking, and it doesn't bode well for any kind of playing out of the back, not that we do that often. 

On the other hand, in the 3 years that he was here, 2 of the seasons had our lowest goals against since the early 90s.  We also had good goalscoring seasons in both of those years, so it wasn't like we sacrificed attacking play to stop the goals.  He was part of a unit that was usually effective, despite quite a turnover in particular in goalkeeper and central defence partner.  

I feel he could be a useful squad player, but he has absolutely no versatility, and that is what McInnes likes in a squad player.  There would be centrebacks available who can move to full back or defensive midfield when required, which would be more the archetypal squad player for McInnes.  Which makes me think this is more a move to try and fill a first team slot, which in turn makes me think they don't have much confidence in McKenna remaining for next season.  That puts me on the side of seeing this as a disappointing move.