Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Out Of Contract

12 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

If he does go I'd like to see us attempt to sign Danny McNamara (currently on loan at St Johnstone). He looks looks a good young player.

If a decent offer comes in for Cosgrove - sell him and attempt to sign Watkins permanently.

Lewis Smith from Hamilton looks a good young talent (20 years old) and obviously Allan Campbell from Motherwell (out of contract next summer).

Campbell will end up at celtic. 

9 hours ago, Donstar83 said:

Campbell will end up at celtic. 

AFAIK his sympathies lie on the opposite side of the Weeg. Recent history shows that this might not necessary preclude him joining Celtic but suspect that he will end up down south. It is strange that sevco haven't made a move for him given that it's common knowledge they are after at least one, possibly 2 central midfielders. With less than a year to go on his contract, he'd be relatively cheap for them so either they're more skint than they let on or they just aren't interested. If he hasn't already left or signed a new contract in January then we should be all over him offering a pre-contract but as I already said....I think he will end up in the English Championship.

Another excellent performance from Hoban last night. He looks a class act and brings some much needed stability to the defence. His fitness improves with each passing game. 

Would love to see us tie him down on a contract now. Will always be an element of risk with his past injuries but one worth taking in my opinion. Other clubs must be taking notice of him with his consistent performances.

January 2021

Tommie Hoban

Greg Leigh

Ryan Edmondson - on loan from Leeds United

Marley Watkins - on loan from Bristol City

Gary Woods - on loan from Oldham Athletic

May 2021

Tomas Cerny

Shay Logan*

Andrew Considine*

Michael Devlin

Ash Taylor

Connor McLennan

Ethan Ross - on loan at Raith

Scott Wright

Miko Virtanen - on loan to Arbroath

Curtis Main

Niall McGinn

Bruce Anderson - on loan at Ayr

May 2022

Funso Ojo

Ryan Hedges

Dylan McGeouch

Jonny Hayes

Sam Cosgrove

May 2023

Dean Campbell

Matty Kennedy

May 2024

Joe Lewis

Ronald Hernandez

Ross McCrorie***

Lewis Ferguson

* Club hold one year option

*** On loan until May 2021

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Window slams shut.

5 players out of contract in January.

Nothing untoward there.

Tommie Hoban - I'd expect an offer to be made to extend

Greg Leigh - Strange its so short, but possibly to incentivize him to get match fit ASAP

Ryan Edmondson - on loan from Leeds United - Was temporary cover for Cosgrove who should be back. Expect him to go back down south in January

Marley Watkins - on loan from Bristol City- Was temporary cover for Edmundson. Maybe will get a deal if we sell Cosgrove

Gary Woods - on loan from Oldham Athletic - Short term cover for Cerny who should be back by January

10 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

Nothing untoward there.

Tommie Hoban - I'd expect an offer to be made to extend

Greg Leigh - Strange its so short, but possibly to incentivize him to get match fit ASAP

Ryan Edmondson - on loan from Leeds United - Was temporary cover for Cosgrove who should be back. Expect him to go back down south in January

Marley Watkins - on loan from Bristol City- Was temporary cover for Edmundson. Maybe will get a deal if we sell Cosgrove

Gary Woods - on loan from Oldham Athletic - Short term cover for Cerny who should be back by January

There's also the total unknown as to when any sort of crowds will be allowed back to games 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

There's also the total unknown as to when any sort of crowds will be allowed back to games 

Aye, it's mental.

When people were buying season tickets around April faniver, it appeared the general consensus would be back at games Sept / Oct.

Possible that normal attendance may not even return this season?

I see Maxwell saying fans will be back much sooner than the 6 month timetable laid out by the government before, but even still it's way beyond what everyone originally thought it would be.

Very disappointing there's no crowds back at games already though. Certainly in the top division, I don't think there's any doubt that outside Celtic and The Rangers the majority of clubs could probably fit most if not all their season ticket holders in the stadium while following social distancing rules. 

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

It's very unlike us to have five players out of contract in January.

Presumably waiting to assess the landscape at that point;

what happened in Scottish Cup 2020

how's the league looking

how's the league cup  looking

and what's the prospect of us selling a player

He'd be a fairly cheap gamble for the likes of Millwall or Charlton but not sure he could realistically expect anything better than that. More likely Gillingham or Colchester level. Who could both probably stretch to paying what we do and the advantage they'd have is that he wouldn't need to uproot his family. 

48 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If he stays fit he'd get a Championship gig no problem at all. 

He's never played lower than Championship in his entire career since he broke through at 18 years old. 

Hopefully he falls in love with the area like Lewis did and sticks around. 

Maybe it’s just me, but it sounds to me like it was AFC’s choice to have a short extension? 

McInnes said something among the lines of “in the months ahead we can maybe look to extend it further” suggesting we are being cautious?

Maybe I’m misreading the situation. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If he stays fit he'd get a Championship gig no problem at all. 

He's never played lower than Championship in his entire career since he broke through at 18 years old. 

Hopefully he falls in love with the area like Lewis did and sticks around. 

I disagree about the Championship gig to a large extent...he will only be of interest to the clubs likely to finish in the bottom 3 or 4. Purely on the grounds that the higher clubs bring in enough income so as to not need taking risks on guys with 2 fucked knees.

We will be the highest level of club he will ever play for again. As I have said before though....he will be able to earn as much at an EFL level club as what he can with us. I hope he chooses us long term on the basis that he'll get European football with us every season and might well win a medal or 2 along the way.