Wrestling Thread

robbo

christ almighty. i f**king loathe when people say its acting or its fake.

outcomes are pre-determined. they have a quick chat before matches to make sure they both get all their big moves in to please the crowd.

but the one thing its not is acting. look at the physiques on these guys. they are (mostly) huge, and we know its not steroids since thats a thing of the past. nobody uses roids anymore.

im not even going to touch on the mental stuff of falling off ladders or taking razor blades to their heads, the basic sh*t of bouncing off those ropes - taking multiple hits to the kidneys off those ropes; when you see the bruising and how much training they have to do, these guys are some of the fittest individuals in any sport.

all these guys do the tv shows twice a week then do live house shows 3-4 times a week. 300 days a year of throwing themselves around, taking hit after hit, fall after fall.

Yes, there is a degree of hamming it up to make both guys look good, but its not bloody acting.

Well said. I trained for a while. Let me tell you, it's very much harder than it looks. You need very good cardio conditioning for a start. You also need to be very confident with your range of movement and strength.

Hitting the ropes is much more painful than you'd think. I got a surprise. My back was just one big bruise the day after I started running the rope. Also, a bump gone wrong just about dazes you. Affa sare!

Also Batting, before you ask me to get back to training, I can tell you, that will not happen, especially with the way my knee is at the moment.

I respect the wrestlers. I do not respect the idiots who hit light tubes off eachother.

IDIOTS!

Well said. I trained for a while. Let me tell you, it's very much harder than it looks. You need very good cardio conditioning for a start. You also need to be very confident with your range of movement and strength.

Hitting the ropes is much more painful than you'd think. I got a surprise. My back was just one big bruise the day after I started running the rope. Also, a bump gone wrong just about dazes you. Affa sare!

Also Batting, before you ask me to get back to training, I can tell you, that will not happen, especially with the way my knee is at the moment.

I respect the wrestlers. I do not respect the idiots who hit light tubes off eachother.

IDIOTS!

Regardless the rot shown on tele (WWF, WWE, WWII, Wii or fitiver its now cad) is still more acting than sport!

I'll let you have peace about it. I know you are genuinly injured.

Regardless the rot shown on tele (WWF, WWE, WWII, Wii or fitiver its now cad) is still more acting than sport!

Actors don't get dropped on their neck 200 times a week without a stuntman. It's certainly not acting.

I would love to see you call it "acting" to world-renowned Olympic freestyle wrestling champion Kurt Angle or former UFC Champions Ken Shamrock and Brock Lesnar.

That would be a pretty short conversation - then you could "act" while they stood on your head? :thumbs:

I'll let you have peace about it. I know you are genuinly injured.

Actors don't get dropped on their neck 200 times a week without a stuntman. It's certainly not acting.

I would love to see you call it "acting" to world-renowned Olympic freestyle wrestling champion Kurt Angle or former UFC Champions Ken Shamrock and Brock Lesnar.

That would be a pretty short conversation - then you could "act" while they stood on your head? :thumbs:

See my previous post wi the you tube link.

That nae acting?

My point is WWF, WWE, Wii or fitiver its cad is not a sport.

(I hope the 71 in your name isni your year of birth).

Jeeeeez.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_SHrK408

Such great acting that he fell to the floor and split his head open and targetted Hogan for a lawsuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvmJt82eLM

It is also commonly known in the wrestling community that Schools will "stretch" you out. They will beat you up and put these "shoot/real" moves on you and make you suffer to the point that you wouldn't want to go back. One of the most famous trainers who used this style was Stu Hart. Heck, they broke Hulk Hogan's leg before they'd let him train properly.

A Russian and an Irish wrestler were set to square off for the Olympic

gold medal. Before the final match, the Irish wrestler's trainer came

to him and said 'Now, don't forget all the research we've done on this

Russian. He's never lost a match because of this 'pretzel' hold he

has. Whatever you do, do not let him get you in that hold! If he does,

you're finished.'

The Irishman nodded in acknowledgment.

As the match started, the Irishman and the Russian circled each other

several times, looking for an opening. All of a sudden, the Russian

lunged forward, grabbing the Irishman and wrapping him up in the

dreaded pretzel hold. A sigh of disappointment arose from the crowd

and the trainer buried his face in his hands, for he knew all was

lost.. He couldn't watch the inevitable happen.

Suddenly, there was a long, high pitched scream, then a cheer from the

crowd and the trainer raised his eyes just in time to watch the

Russian go flying up in the air. His back hit the mat with a thud and

the Irishman collapsed on top of him, making the pin and winning the

match.

The trainer was astounded. When he finally got his wrestler alone, he

asked 'How did you ever get out of that hold? No one has ever done it

before!'

The wrestler answered 'Well, I was ready to give up when he got me in

that hold but at the last moment, I opened my eyes and saw this pair

of testicles right in front of my face. I had nothing to lose so with

my last ounce of strength, I stretched out my neck and bit those

babies just as hard as I could.'

The trainer exclaimed 'That's what finished him off?'

'Not really. You'd be amazed how strong you get when you bite your own nuts'.

:thumbup1:

i cant find it, but youve reminded me of that tough enough episode when bob holly kicked the f**k out of matt cappotelli.

youd have thought what with it being tv they wouldnt want to show that hard side of it, but bob holly is bit of a nut case anyway. anyway, all i could find was this segment wi crash shooting on matt. i dont recall matt complaining about it, it was everyone else that was shocked that he was given a proper hiding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2l5s2iWhs&feature=related

Cool promo, promos are always some of the best bits. Kerwin White's was one for the ages.

I feel the magic's gone, back in the day with the fuzzy focus, no internet I could almost see macho running about his house with his neon outfit going mental. Now we all know they are just normal humanoids. Occasionly a few meet at the top of their game, rock, austin, the american blue blood.

Maybe because my wife hates it I'm bitter because I can't watch it. Missed the rumble to.

see one thing i dont understand about the anti-cena brigade. i mean, i dont love the guy, but theres nothing i find particularly offensive about the guy.

why do people seem to hate him purely for being pushed? hes taken the ball and run with it. folk seem to despise him mainly because hes found a way to use the classic doom cheat to enter god mode. but then hogan has made his career around "hulking up". The warrior was the exact same. Most of the samoan heritage wrestlers have been billed as impervious to pain, particularly head butts. Has todays wrestling audience changed so much that what was once a staple go-to for a top face is now hated. i mean ffs, the undertaker still gets away with it.

is cena over pushed? arguably. hes always on screen and almost always involved in the main events...but hes a cash cow like mysterio. but you dont hear people booing mysterio.

edit: hmmm, the 2/21/11 promo has confused me now. i never even thought about the date itself, but thats a monday. why would taker be returning on raw and not smackdown. and no way out is the 20th. very optimistic that its sting but itll end up being someone pish because vince wont want the internet to be right in the same way we all though jeff was being attacked by christian all those years ago

see one thing i dont understand about the anti-cena brigade. i mean, i dont love the guy, but theres nothing i find particularly offensive about the guy.

why do people seem to hate him purely for being pushed? hes taken the ball and run with it. folk seem to despise him mainly because hes found a way to use the classic doom cheat to enter god mode. but then hogan has made his career around "hulking up". The warrior was the exact same. Most of the samoan heritage wrestlers have been billed as impervious to pain, particularly head butts. Has todays wrestling audience changed so much that what was once a staple go-to for a top face is now hated. i mean ffs, the undertaker still gets away with it.

is cena over pushed? arguably. hes always on screen and almost always involved in the main events...but hes a cash cow like mysterio. but you dont hear people booing mysterio.

He's sh*te. Always has been, always will be. There have been, and will be, better natural wrestlers than him that are kept down because Cena has become the top face in the company just because he is the main merch draw for WWE.

Plus, you can't even see him! ;)

I used to hate Cena but now I think he is fantastic.

Remember when he came back at the Royal Rumble a couple of years ago? All the "smart" fans at MSG forgot that they were supposed to hate him because the internet told them to. The crowd reaction was insane.

For all the people that say he is a terrible wrestler who is marketed solely at kids, look at Hulk Hogan. Arguably the biggest draw of all time, aimed at kids, larger than life character but a terrible worker who only ever did 6 moves (7 if you count a punch as a move). When we were kids we believed in him which is why now as adults we have the rose-tinted glasses. Same could be said for the Ultimate Warrior.

I would easily argue that in the last few years Cena has had more good matches than Hogan/Warrior combined did in their whole career. Cena also didn't have the luxury of being able to face super-workers like Savage, Rude, Flair, Curt Hennig, Dibiase who could be guaranteed to get a decent match out of almost everyone.

Cena has been stuck with guys like Big Show, Batista (who is decent when he can be @rsed), Sheamus and Barrett (who are both as green as grass). Cena has been the one carrying these guys too.

Cena is pish, certainly no Rock or Stone Cold. The WWE as a whole is pish now though, nobody really does any decent moves, every match is full of kicks, punches and Irish whips.

I thought John Morrison might of got a push but instead they give Jerry Lawler a title shot, WTF? They need some fresh faces for the main event matches especially since people like Sheamus and Jack Swagger haven't set the heather alight. You could say The Miz is doing a good job, everybody hates him and that's what you want from a heel.