Cricket

England to win the second test widely available at $3.00.

They haven't become a bad team over night and the massacre at the Gabba probably had a lot to do with complacency. I couldn't believe the way they were carrying on during the first innings when they had Australia on the rack during the early stages, laughing and joking, keepy-uppies between balls. They looked shell shocked when the Aussies came storming back at them. They'll be better prepared for the second test at Adelaide and much more focused I reckon - particularly after all the Australian sledging!

Adelaide was also a test that was pencilled in as a definitely England win before the series started. Mitchell Johnson did the damage in Brisbane, but he won't be a factor on the flat, lifeless pitch in Adelaide. Very much a batters surface and Englands top order are better than Australia's and I expect them to score heavily. You'll need a bit of guile to take wickets in Adelaide and if Jimmy Anderson can get the ball to swing, this will strengthen the case for England further. England also know they absolutely have to win in Adelaide, because the way he's playing, Mitchell Johnson is going to be even more lethal in Perth, on an even harder, bouncier surface than the Gabba!

Can't see past 2-1 going into the boxing day test at the MCG. This is shaping up to be a classic series. I have tickets to the first day of the third test! Cannot wait! Hope it's not too hot though - had the side of my face melted off the last couple of times I've been at the WACA.

They haven't become a bad team over night and the massacre at the Gabba probably had a lot to do with complacency. I couldn't believe the way they were carrying on during the first innings when they had Australia on the rack during the early stages, laughing and joking, keepy-uppies between balls. They looked shell shocked when the Aussies came storming back at them. They'll be better prepared for the second test at Adelaide and much more focused I reckon - particularly after all the Australian sledging!

Adelaide was also a test that was pencilled in as a definitely England win before the series started. Mitchell Johnson did the damage in Brisbane, but he won't be a factor on the flat, lifeless pitch in Adelaide. Very much a batters surface and Englands top order are better than Australia's and I expect them to score heavily. You'll need a bit of guile to take wickets in Adelaide and if Jimmy Anderson can get the ball to swing, this will strengthen the case for England further. England also know they absolutely have to win in Adelaide, because the way he's playing, Mitchell Johnson is going to be even more lethal in Perth, on an even harder, bouncier surface than the Gabba!

Can't see past 2-1 going into the boxing day test at the MCG. This is shaping up to be a classic series. I have tickets to the first day of the third test! Cannot wait! Hope it's not too hot though - had the side of my face melted off the last couple of times I've been at the WACA.

Australia have a decent record at Adelaide, since mid 90s, only 2 defeats, in about 20 tests,

Peter Siddle will be key, who has an excellent record there,

Australia have a decent record at Adelaide, since mid 90s, only 2 defeats, in about 20 tests,

Peter Siddle will be key, who has an excellent record there,

England destroyed them by an innings during the previous Ashes in 2010.

The player who did the damaged during that match are still around for England. Pietersen, Cook, Anderson and Swann. Siddle was hit for 121/0

Clarke and Warner look like the only players who can score heavily for Australia at the moment. If England can deal with them, then I reckon they can win comfortably.

England destroyed them by an innings during the previous Ashes in 2010.

The player who did the damaged during that match are still around for England. Pietersen, Cook, Anderson and Swann. Siddle was hit for 121/0

Clarke and Warner look like the only players who can score heavily for Australia at the moment. If England can deal with them, then I reckon they can win comfortably.

Yip, but since then Australia and Siddle destroyed the then best team in the world, India with all there batting superstars by 300 runs

Yip, but since then Australia and Siddle destroyed the then best team in the world, India with all there batting superstars by 300 runs

India are not the best team in the world outside of India. I was at the first two days of the Perth test, immediately after the Adelaide test and they were absolutely pathetic. All the old boys like Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag looked fat, slow, unfit and uninterested. They are a better team now - but trust me, they were absolutely pathetic. I've seen England, South Africa and India over the past three years and India did not look like they were in the same class. The highlight of that test was the standing ovation for Tendulkars final test in Perth. I felt like asking for my money back cause the indians did not look like they were trying a jot!

Also, the last 2 tests at Adelaide, Clark has scored double centuries.

Clarke will be key - still question marks over his fitness. Regardless, England still have much more firepower in their upper order. Right now Australia are depending on Clarke and Warner. On a batters pitch England should be favourite. I don't expect them to crumble after one match in Brisbane.

India are not the best team in the world outside of India. I was at the first two days of the Perth test, immediately after the Adelaide test and they were absolutely pathetic. All the old boys like Dravid, Laxman and Sehwag looked fat, slow, unfit and uninterested. They are a better team now - but trust me, they were absolutely pathetic. I've seen England, South Africa and India over the past three years and India did not look like they were in the same class. The highlight of that test was the standing ovation for Tendulkars final test in Perth. I felt like asking for my money back cause the indians did not look like they were trying a jot!

Clarke will be key - still question marks over his fitness. Regardless, England still have much more firepower in their upper order. Right now Australia are depending on Clarke and Warner.

England of course won well there last time, but historically they average a win in Adeladie every 20 years, and have not won an away test in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

Classic, even by SOTR standards.

:checkit:

Classic, even by SOTR standards.

:checkit:

Mitchell Johnsons influence has surprised me. I'll give you that. Just the sheer pace has been troubling the English - and he's bowling consistently straight! However, it's still a brilliant batting wicket and really, it was more that England played exceptionally poorly, than Johnson bowled exceptionally (however, he was brilliant for a spell in the afternoon yesterday). Look at the way guys like Pietersen and Root just gave away their wickets... add to that some incredible fielding by australia.

However, on the batting front, Englands top order are far better than Australia. On the basis of the past few years (at least the last 4 years!) that's indisputable. Warner, Haddin and Clarke aside, Australia haven't batted that well either. England have played well, well, below themselves. It happens. and they're having an absolute stinker right now. No-one, even the Australians, would have predicted 2-0 after the first two tests.

Michell Johnson in Perth is going to be a terrifying proposition for the English. 36C on Friday! Thankfully my seats are in the shade! Hopefully England win the toss and bat first.

Mitchell Johnsons influence has surprised me. I'll give you that. Just the sheer pace has been troubling the English - and he's bowling consistently straight! However, it's still a brilliant batting wicket and really, it was more that England played exceptionally poorly, than Johnson bowled exceptionally (however, he was brilliant for a spell in the afternoon yesterday). Look at the way guys like Pietersen and Root just gave away their wickets... add to that some incredible fielding by australia.

However, on the batting front, Englands top order are far better than Australia. On the basis of the past few years (at least the last 4 years!) that's indisputable. Warner, Haddin and Clarke aside, Australia haven't batted that well either. England have played well, well, below themselves. It happens. and they're having an absolute stinker right now. No-one, even the Australians, would have predicted 2-0 after the first two tests.

Michell Johnson in Perth is going to be a terrifying proposition for the English. 36C on Friday! Thankfully my seats are in the shade! Hopefully England win the toss and bat first.

I see it differently, Johnston spell on day 3 was the best fast bowling seen for some time, period.

The Ashes last summer, and continued this series, Australia have worked out the weak points on these England batsmen, Cook the full left armer, Trott the short ball, Prior spin, and Broad straight and fast.

KP has given his wicket away each innings.

While obviously the last period of time before this tour, England have did well, with the tail being very effective, but to say that the England top order is considerably better than Australia, with newbies Carbury and Root in the team, is IMO, wrong.

h

While obviously the last period of time before this tour, England have did well, with the tail being very effective, but to say that the England top order is considerably better than Australia, with newbies Carbury and Root in the team, is IMO, wrong.

I don't think it's even up for debate, if you look at performances over the past 4 years. Australia have literally only had Michael Clarke, showing any sort of consistency. Warner has been excellent on occassion. I was in attendance when he scored the fastest century in test match history 2 years ago. It was brillant and he is really exciting to watch, but he has been up and down. All the talk in Australia over the past few years (certainly since I've been here) has been surrounding the top order struggles. I've seen the likes of Smith, Hughes, Cowan, Khawaja, Marsh and others, all try and fail miserably.

England have been one of the best teams in the world, and while I don't see as much of them as I do Australia, you cannot scale the height they have without being able to bat. You might be able to pull out spells, or stats showing dips here and there, but the likes of Cook, Pietersen, Bell, Trott and Prior have been top class.

Last summer, for Ashes in England, Trott and Cook averaged 27

Clarke, Watson, Rogers, Smith, Pattinson, Hughes and Agar all averaged higher, it was collectively that Australia never clicked, many individual innings rather than a team effort.

Currently, with Root and Carbury in the team, I do not see the England openers being so currently dominant over Australia, especially in Australia, regardless what happened 3 years ago.

Pardon the pun, but prior to Priors loss of form, when he scored, the tail averaged 26.5 runs per player, recently thay have averaged 5.2 runs per player.

Last summer, for Ashes in England, Trott and Cook averaged 27

Clarke, Watson, Rogers, Smith, Pattinson, Hughes and Agar all averaged higher, it was collectively that Australia never clicked, many individual innings rather than a team effort.

Currently, with Root and Carbury in the team, I do not see the England openers being so currently dominant over Australia, especially in Australia, regardless what happened 3 years ago.

Pardon the pun, but prior to Priors loss of form, when he scored, the tail averaged 26.5 runs per player, recently thay have averaged 5.2 runs per player.

As I said, it's easy to be selective. Particularly with cricket stats.

Surprised that Watson was higher than 27. He looked all over the place in England. Agar only played twice (I think) and he benefited from 99 on his debut! Hughes and Smith too... both have always been really dodgy whenever they've played. I can't recall Rogers playing that often in England too?

Clarke is the only batsmen who's been consistent for Australia, over the previous few years. I've sat through, either in person, or on TV, the past 20 home test matches. All through that period Australias weakness has always been their top order batting. Australias tail has always been good as long as I've watched them. All of them seem to be able to bat. Guys like Siddle and Johnson are actually very accomplished batsmen. Agar and Pattinson, when they've been used, also look really handy. England the complete opposite.

England are struggling and they have plenty of players who're very out of touch - but a couple of weak tests doesn't suddenly make them a bad team - or poor players. I haven't seen much of Carberry to comment on him, but Root is going to be a good player - that is obvious - he's just made some poor decisions lately - but he is young.

I'm going to move this cricket stuff to a separate thread....

Surprised that Watson was higher than 27. He looked all over the place in England. Agar only played twice (I think) and he benefited from 99 on his debut! Hughes and Smith too... both have always been really dodgy whenever they've played. I can't recall Rogers playing that often in England too?

Clarke is the only batsmen who's been consistent for Australia, over the previous few years. I've sat through, either in person, or on TV, the past 20 home test matches. All through that period Australias weakness has always been their top order batting. Australias tail has always been good as long as I've watched them. All of them seem to be able to bat. Guys like Siddle and Johnson are actually very accomplished batsmen. Agar and Pattinson, when they've been used, also look really handy. England the complete opposite.

England are struggling and they have plenty of players who're very out of touch - but a couple of weak tests doesn't suddenly make them a bad team - or poor players. I haven't seen much of Carberry to comment on him, but Root is going to be a good player - that is obvious - he's just made some poor decisions lately - but he is young.

You should start a SOTR tips thread and pop it in there. ;)

Just have to agree to disagree,

While the history books show a 3-0 win for England in the summer, apart from the the 1 sided game at Lords, the other 4 were a lot closer and Australia started to work out how to dismiss certain players with a specific delivery, which has carried onto this current tour with great success.

Kinda hope for a draw in Perth, so the Boxing day test, which is always a spectacle with a crowd of over 85,000, is not a dead rubber.

As mentioned earlier, England tail have in recent years been very strong, with from Prior to #11 averaging 26.5. But since Priors run of bad form started, it has effected the players below him, with a now woeful average of 5.

The good thing about SKY and there English pundits / commentators, mostly ex captains, and always brutally honest, (unlike Football), and they go in depth pre and post match. Trott and Priors lack of form, has been the catalyst, along with a rejuvenated and inspired Johnston and a galvanized Australia team who know how to get key players out,

No offence but real mannies don't watch cricket.

Ridiculous sport aimed at plebs who drink pimms or posh English twats who were useless at fitba.

Its just the Guffs that go dressed in white suits , yellow ties and drink pimms,

The Aussies and South Africans just go in shorts and tees, drink beer, sitting next to hot girls.

And........you're Scottish.

A sport that has no relevance to us Scots, we're meant to be real mannies.

I expected better from you.

Pimms drinker.

Correct, and your point being ?

You have went on about NFL and all other non Scottish sports plenty times before.

I enjoy watching Cricket at International level.

So big up here that Scotland team plays in the county leagues in England...?

Scotland have more per head, but are atrocious at it? A sport of that nature should not be taken seriously up here.

I see a lot of Hamilton Accies playing down near Pittodrie but very rarely do I see real white Scottish mannies playing.

Pointless sport.

So fucking naive.

• 3 weeks later...