Cycling

Really got into my road cycling last year and really looking forward to doing some sportives this year and some weekends away to west coast. Also joined a club which has kept me ticking over during the winter months

Anyone else a keen cyclist, got any events planned for 2015?

Also looking for some advice on carbon fibre bikes in the region of £1000.

Got out on mine quite a bit last year but found it difficult to keep it up when the nights got darker. Going to try a bit harder to keep going this year. Getting a bit of pressure at work to sign up for Ride the North this year but I'm not sure about that, I'm not keen on hills.

Anyone advise on a decent hybrid bike for commuting?

Cheers and ta

Mine is a Cannondale Bad Boy. It's a good hybrid. Got it at the Edinburgh bike shop on George Street.

Had it for 3 years now and never serviced but think I might get that done this year. Anyone know if the place on Holburn Street is good for servicing?

I use to do all my cycling on my own, although it is a lot more enjoyable in a group especially when you get a good chaingang on the go. Still do cycle on my own but it can be a bit tough.

Hoping to get out tomorrow, although forecast isn't looking to good. Don't mind cycling in the rain but strong winds is an absolute ball ache.

• 2 months later...

Anyone got any suggestions on how to be better seen at night ? Edinburgh street lighting has just changed for the shitter in my opinion. The route I take home from the gym in the past two weeks I was hit at a roundabout and then nearly hit again tonight.

I've got lights, a bright neon yellow jacket… And now thinking about lasers and floodlights… Joking aside, any suggestions ?

Anyone got any suggestions on how to be better seen at night ? Edinburgh street lighting has just changed for the shitter in my opinion. The route I take home from the gym in the past two weeks I was hit at a roundabout and then nearly hit again tonight.

I've got lights, a bright neon yellow jacket… And now thinking about lasers and floodlights… Joking aside, any suggestions ?

Use the pavement.

• 9 months later...

I have a Trax turbo trainer in the garage.

If you are able to do more than 45 minutes regularly you will have the some amount patience and will power, extremely boring.

Hopefully get out on the road for a couple hours this afternoon, or if it stays dreich use the MTB through the woods to get clarted in dubs.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Looking for a new bike, mainly for roads but one that is also capable of going on the old Deeside railway line or Dyce line, and the odd piece of rougher terrain.

Found my mountain bike was a bit of a chav- heavy, and tough going on the streets so sold it midweek and looking for something lighter and this easier to ride.

£400 max. Looked at the Boardman road bikes today in Halfords but the wheels look hoorin' thin and would worry they would buckle or the tyres burst when on rougher ground.

Any suggestions for which bike to go for, lighter frame, and easier for an old 50 something guy like me?