Cycling

Looking for a new bike, mainly for roads but one that is also capable of going on the old Deeside railway line or Dyce line, and the odd piece of rougher terrain.

Found my mountain bike was a bit of a chav- heavy, and tough going on the streets so sold it midweek and looking for something lighter and this easier to ride.

£400 max. Looked at the Boardman road bikes today in Halfords but the wheels look hoorin' thin and would worry they would buckle or the tyres burst when on rougher ground.

Any suggestions for which bike to go for, lighter frame, and easier for an old 50 something guy like me?

Road bike tyres wouldn't handle the dyce line. Puncture before newmachar

Looking for a new bike, mainly for roads but one that is also capable of going on the old Deeside railway line or Dyce line, and the odd piece of rougher terrain.

Found my mountain bike was a bit of a chav- heavy, and tough going on the streets so sold it midweek and looking for something lighter and this easier to ride.

£400 max. Looked at the Boardman road bikes today in Halfords but the wheels look hoorin' thin and would worry they would buckle or the tyres burst when on rougher ground.

Any suggestions for which bike to go for, lighter frame, and easier for an old 50 something guy like me?

Could look at cyclocross bikes. Can get 35mm tires on them which will get you over most old paths etc and run great on the road.

Nope.

At that price you'd only get something reasonable that's 2nd hand (i.e. Stolen).

Got myself a Boardman Road Sports bike from Halfords, right on budget. Nae stolen as far as I know.

At the end of the day, like other shit like TVs, sound systems, golf clubs, clobber, cars etc etc, can spend as much as you wint but as long as it does phit you want, and this bitch does, sorted.

• 2 months later...

Never ridden a bike in my life. Would give it a go if I could be arsed but at £400+ for a bike? Really? That would be a non starter.

Honestly never ridden a bike in your whole life?? WTF?

You can pick up a bog standard bike for next to fuck all. Best machine ever invented. You need to give it a try.

V for Vandetta, looks like the Welsh boy is gonna do it.

Never ridden a bike in my life. Would give it a go if I could be arsed but at £400+ for a bike? Really? That would be a non starter.

If you the no about it for a minute, there's a fair bit of engineering and sophisticated materials in a proper bike.

£400 is peanuts really.

What sort of car parts for example can you by for that? Not much.

Went to the Euro Championships track cycling tonight.

First time at the velodrome and got to say I really enjoyed it.

Hayters points race performance to win the Omnium was great to watch.

Was there as well with the family. Never been before to the velodrome and really enjoyed it. The bloke who fell during the elimination will have a cracking scar after that.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Could have smashed the TT today as well but eased off in the last leg to be safe with the overall win.

Brilliant to see him do it, really nice guy who has been second fiddle to Froome for a while now.

Agreed, Froome is still THE man though.

If you the no about it for a minute, there's a fair bit of engineering and sophisticated materials in a proper bike.

£400 is peanuts really.

What sort of car parts for example can you by for that? Not much.

Especially the modern bikes with electronic gears and carbon fibre parts.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone into proper biking? e.g. Mountain biking, cycling for real men not for leg shaving shandy drinking steroid taking limp wristed mummy boys :)

I prefer to ride a bike, not push it up a hill.

Majority of mountain bikers are a fat mess that think they're super fit. They spend the day barely pedalling, basically just free wheel downhill. Yrs downhill is fun but at least try pedalling up it.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 years later...

He got a Boardman bike on the Cycle To Work scheme, discovered he really enjoyed it. Started watching the Tour de France highlights on ITV4, worshipped at the altar of Wiggo and Froome-dog. Goes out every Sunday in full Sky replica kit…

Get your hedge cut
Get your fuckin’ hedge cut
Get your hedge cut
Get you fuckin’ hedge cut
Stop analysing Strava
And cut your hedge.

• 1 year later...