The Running Thread

I have signed up for the Edinburgh Marathon this year. Livingston are starting parkrun this weekend so will be doing them most weekends. Did a few in Aberdeen but living out with the city made it tough to get to every week.

You'll enjoy Edinburgh. Done it last year. Quite undulating on parts but some nice scenery running along the coast.

Will need to check out the Livingston one. I've been doing the Ellon one recently. Was getting abit bored of the beach.

Good stuff. Lead to believe the 10k has quite a beasting hill..

It's not too bad. The hardest thing is that the path for the first ~7km is too narrow.

Very nice run though.

10k does have a good hill at about 3km. However the one in the Fare Challenge is a lot tougher.

Yes, it's the Hill of Fare.

A much better race all round IMO.

Aye min, cycling is where the action is at, I am signed up to 3 sportive events this year, 67, 81 and 100 miles.

Hopefully the rain and wind fucks off soon to get some decent road time.

Etape? Few folk from work were trying to get me to do the 65 miler there. Doable?

Etape? Few folk from work were trying to get me to do the 65 miler there. Doable?

The 67 Etape Loch Ness is sold out, limited charity spaces left for the Etape Caledonia 81 miles in May.

The 67 miler was fine, the 3 mountain climb at Fort Augustus was a challenge but plenty preparation and it was easier than expected.

Will be back hitting the tarmac tonight and back on strict diet, piled on the pounds last few weeks, dread to think what i`ll be when i weigh myself.

Aye min, I weighed my self this morning, 2kg more than what I was in the run up to Xmas.

Never mind, that will be gone by the end of January, and some.

The 67 Etape Loch Ness is sold out, limited charity spaces left for the Etape Caledonia 81 miles in May.

The 67 miler was fine, the 3 mountain climb at Fort Augustus was a challenge but plenty preparation and it was easier than expected.

I found both Etape's very doable. Get yourself in a decent group and you fly round.

I managed to finish top 200 in both last year and the conditions were not great (horrible for the Caley Etape).

Not doing either this year, too many of the cyclists involved have no awareness on the road and are not only a danger to themselves but other riders. Going to do the Tour of the Borders and also the Tour of Arran this year.

I have done duathlons. I'm useless at swimming so triathlons are a no go.

If your looking for a good duathlon to try, I strongly recommend the Glen Clova Extreme Duathlon. Very enjoyable.

Looking forward to trying Duathlons. Do you change shoes during the transitions?

I do, far more efficient on a bike using cleats. If you're organised properly you loose very little time at transition.

The worse part is the change in muscles you use between the two activities. If you don't brick train you will suffer horrible cramps in your calves no matter how short or long the distance is.

I've bought some elastic shoelaces for triathlons but will need to invest in some cycling shoes I think. Do you eat at any point during the duathlons?

Eating is absolutely key. I make sure and eat at regular intervals even if I am not hungry. Lots of gels and energy bars.

Once the tank is out of fuel it is nearly impossible to refuel it, certainly in my experience.