Films

12 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Played some memorable characters in loads of decent films. From Russia With Love and Battle Of Britain to name but a few.

Died aged only 51 🫤

The train fight with Sean Connery is one of the best showdowns in the Bond series IMHO. He was also great in Battle of the Bulge. Too bad the booze cut his life short, like his Weegie wife Mary Ure (Where Eagles Dare).

• 2 weeks later...

Oppenheimer

a gang of clever **** get together and build a bomb to end the war. **** ended the war. Then they felt bad about the bomb and the rest of the film is about how bad the **** felt.

flo pugh’s tits are out in it

Given who runs Hollywood, it’s a cert for the big one at the O’s

On 7/20/2023 at 4:58 AM, Poodler said:

Oppenheimer

a gang of clever **** get together and build a bomb to end the war. **** ended the war. Then they felt bad about the bomb and the rest of the film is about how bad the **** felt.

She looks like a completely different person in every picture I see of her. 

On 7/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, Poodler said:

Oppenheimer

Her tits are magnificent. Beautiful nips. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Sooper-hanz said:

‘Nobody’ A little ott with the fighting sequences but Bob Odenkirk is in it and he’s good.The description is quite amusing. @Fridge

Hutch Mansell leads an ordinary life with a strained marriage, two children and an unremarkable office job. One night, some thieves break into his house with a gun. Hutch prepares to fight, but relents and lets them leave. Everyone sees Hutch as a failure, but Hutch reveals he held back because the burglars' gun was unloaded.

Harsh on the Hutch he would have taken off his leather jacket and had an air shot.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, Bad_Mobby said:

The new Mission Impossible 

nae a fan of fighting sequences in filums (this has a heap) 

nae bad, action packed romp 

7/10

Just seen this. First one of them I've got reservations about. Yeah still the same high quality production, big action scenes etc but I don't like the main premise of the story. A super duper computer which has become sentient, knows what everybody is thinking and worked out every conceivable move that can be made by anybody who might wish to destroy it? Fucking Star Trek nonsense that. Then there's the played for laughs car chase in which their getaway car is a yellow Fiat 500. So we've got Ethan Hunt trying to save the world but we've got time for a cartoon sequence halfway through? Pfft.

I saw Sisu recently, it was so-so I thought, a kinda quentin tarantino style OTT slap-stick film.  It might have got a 6 had they not used a cold war Soviet T-55 to portray a WW2 German tank.  Tut tut, just lazy.  5.5/10

Also saw Blood and Gold, which has a very similar story line (rogue Waffen-SS troops trying to rip off someone's gold, towards the end of the war) and is a more conventional film.  I preferred that. 7/10

Also, randomly, Dredd (2012) which was a pretty good Judge Dredd film and much better than the shit one with Sly Stallone. 7/10

Unusually I fit in a couple of movies this weekend:

Top Gun:  Maverick.  Never really a big fan of the original (kinda passed me by, I was only 8 ) I thoroughly enjoyed this.  The pretty superficial / vague story line didn't promise much but, by fuck, the action part of the film was exciting.  Interesting to see how tried and tested themes can be rolled out again and again, and will keep working for directors if done well.  All of the usual character types from US High School dramas were present, the jocks, the nerds, the hot chicks etc.  And the tried and tested "trench run" style for airborne dramas paid out yet again, borrowed from Star Wars which in turn nicked it from 633 Squadron AND Dambusters.  Genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed it, the action at least.  The first "action movie" in a long time worth the name.  My one minor criticism was that Cruise should have sought to nail Monica Barbaro's character and not ageing Jennifer Connolly (who is still fine, granted).  8/10.           

Evil Dead Rise.  Not as scary or funny as the originals with Bruce Campbell, but still very good and faithful to the themes / style of the series.  Buckets of gore and violence, though missing the occasional slapstick "Bottom" style of violence which got laughs in the earlier films.  A few "look away" moments for me at some violent bits, but it didn't creep me out much (although the wife surprised me in the kitchen after it and scared the shit out of me).  I thought the setting worked well, but the end-back-to-start link didn't quite work, thought that's being petty.  Shotgun and chainsaw present and correct.  Enjoyed it.  Who wants some?  8/10.

• Thanks 1