Butteries

daytripping

The average fish supper has about 600 calories

The average butterie has about 300 calories

Conclusion, the caller was a fat cow who can't count calories.

A fish supper also has less fat than a bigmac and chips and a lot less than a whopper and chips. Thats why yanks are fatter than us...

Going off topicv, but I thought it was the other way around, BK's are 'healthier' than mickey Dees?

I have relatives in Motherwell that used to ask us to take a few dozen down when we visited.

I took some on holiday to Cyprus and had with a cup of tea by the pool, wonder if any "real" (nae supermarket shite) rowie has been eaten further afield?

Bought a pack the other day and they were made by some baker in Kilmarnock!!

Fa the hell calls them "Butteries" anyway, that sounds like a poofy invention by some out of town fud that canna pronounce "ROWIE". Either that or Rolls are acceptable.

If asking for them in a shop I'd say 2 of your finest rolls squire, however when posting on the internet to the thousands Worldwide who read here I use Buttery, a roll elsewhere is a bun here and many outwith Aberdeen won't know what a rowie is.

I have relatives in Motherwell that used to ask us to take a few dozen down when we visited.

I took some on holiday to Cyprus and had with a cup of tea by the pool, wonder if any "real" (nae supermarket shite) rowie has been eaten further afield?

Took 3 dozen back with me to Oz, had to vacuum pack them, then stuck them in freezer when we got them home.

Theres about 15g of fat in a buttery before its cooked so you'll probably be looking at around 10g once they are cooked.

There's about 9.5g of fat in every 100g of a fish supper. A haddock far Mike's is 250g minimum so I'm reaching the same conclusion as above, fat fuck without a clue.

Correct. Although, the fats in a fish supper will be of a healthier variety than in a Rowie. Saturated fat content of lard and butter are near enough 50%, oils used in frying a fish supper will be nearer 15-20% saturated fat.

So switching from rowies to fish suppers probably won't lose you any weight, but might stave off the heart attack for a few months.

Nae worth it!!

We need to eat according to what's in store for the day ahead , ergo , porridge followed by a couple of butteries at breakfast then again at coffee/tea break might be fine and dandy if you're on a day out Nordic Ski-ing( by f u c k , you'll use up the calories doing that through Clashindarroch Forest ).....butteries are not a good idea for breakfast if sitting in front of a computer all day.

Early twenties( aye....1970 ish ) saw me once scoff one dozen butteries in one sitting , each of them lightly grilled and spread liberally with butter.

Never did me ony herm.

I think.....:itch-chin:

You got a good recipie for rowies lgir? As in an idiots guide. Quite fancy making some as I really miss my rowies!

this is the one i use. it's simple (although the recipe neglects to mention mixing in the balance of warm water with the yeast paste :o ). and i salt them a bit on top just before they bake. they come out looking like the ones i made below if you follow the recipe.

if you like them a bit flatter, reduce the last resting on the pan to about 15 minutes. i like them crispy, so i've not floured the pan.. but a ton of fat cooks off of them so i expect you'd have to do it *very heavily* if you didn't want them that way.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/106737/aberdeen-traditional-butteries-or-rowies.html

post-4733-0-97857400-1326203067_thumb.jpg

this is the one i use. it's simple (although the recipe neglects to mention mixing in the balance of warm water with the yeast paste :o ). and i salt them a bit on top just before they bake. they come out looking like the ones i made below if you follow the recipe.

if you like them a bit flatter, reduce the last resting on the pan to about 15 minutes. i like them crispy, so i've not floured the pan.. but a ton of fat cooks off of them so i expect you'd have to do it *very heavily* if you didn't want them that way.

http://www.groupreci...-or-rowies.html

A great talent there , lgir.....these look splendid.

Good enough to eat. :P

http://www.grouprecipes.com/106737/aberdeen-traditional-butteries-or-rowies.html

look well fine

I use the hairy biker recipe for mine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aberdeenbutteriesrow_92370

Any man who kens anything about calories needs to take a good look at himself and the direction his life is taking.

my son is 23, lean and incredibly active. i have no fears for his health, given his more-often-than-not excellent eating habits. that said, if he were 40, not as active, and still having rowies more than once in a while, i'd have cause to worry.

"everything in moderation".

maybe you should live on the edge once in a while? and just do something because you enjoy it? (eating rowies may not be it, for you.. but you get the concept i'm sure.) consequences be damned. :dontknow:

I do, I'm on edge 24/7.

Sometimes I visibly seeth with tension.

I eat anything I want was what I meant, I dinna pay any attention to 'health advice' and all that pish, as I ken my own body better than any fucking doctor.

Look at the shape of the pathetic Gillian McKeith if you need any pointers about the benefits of eating all that so-called healthy garbage.

I eat butteries, I once ate 6 Lowe's chicken pies in one go at 3am, man versus food, lethal.