#2071 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted Today, 12:14 PM

Celtic signing yet another wide forward by the sounds of it.

Surely Hayes and Morgan will be heading out the way

Out, but hopefully not to us.  He was a standout player for us, but 2 years older after warming the bench at Celtic for the majority of that time.

No ta!

#2072 ONLINE   chunk

chunk

Journeyman Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted Today, 12:26 PM

Apparently the loan rule where you can't play against your parent club is set to be scrapped. I think the SPFL still need to ratify the rule which will probably see it not happen but Uefa and Fifa have been working to ensure this isn't a rule. For instance in champions league it is not a rule. Edouard and Roberts in the past have played against there parent clubs. They have also scrapped the cup tied rule recently for the latter stages of the european competitions.

Were that to be the case I wonder if the end result would just be teams stopping loaning players to others in the same league? Obviously cited examples exist of teams loaning players to other teams they have played in the Champions League, though there is an element of the parent club taking the chance they won't be drawn against the team they are loaning to. That dynamic is obviously different in domestic football.

On balance, and bearing in mind the points that not every loanee will successfully return to their parent club, I wonder would we be better off having had the benefit of someone like Christie / Morgan for the 18 months even without being able to play against Celtic (and the unknown of a cup final winning goal in the future) rather than not having their qualities in the team at all. Arguments abound about the need to develop talent, but short-term ism and results based business carry a lot of weight.

#2073 OFFLINE   florin_raducioiu

florin_raducioiu

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts
  • Joined 10-April 07

Posted Today, 01:08 PM

Think we'd all be in agreement if a similar ability player was available permanently at the same time and affordable etc. However, that's obviously never the case or it's a no brainer. If the options are keep Pawlett or a player of similar standard signed or get a player of Maddison/Christie level of player on loan then I know which one I'd rather. Not being able to play against Celtic is annoying but at the same time, you'd have to consider the difference someone like Christie made (rather than a Pawlett level player to use the same example) across the course of the season and accept that they can't play against the parent club. For my money I'd have said in the 18 months Christie was here, he contributed to enough points more so than a lesser standard permanent option in the other matches to justify having him not available for Celtic games.

When thinking about the Christie development and the cup final goal, what we need to remember is that Christie completely fluked getting his break at Celtic this season. Had it not been for a few injuries in centre midfield at the same time he'd probably be looking for a new club right now and chances are we'd be in the mix for signing him permanently.

We're the donnnnnnnns, from Aberdeeeeeeeeen, and we're the finesssssst, that's ever beeeeeeeeen.

#2074 ONLINE   thomsod

thomsod

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 02-December 07

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

And if Celtic had been successful in getting John McGinn, Christie prob would be our player.
Seems like it was all good to go but Celtic weren’t able to bring who they wanted in.

84 user(s) are browsing this forum

7 members, 77 guests, 0 anonymous users