A Good Time For Planning League Restructuring Again?

Add play offs at the top (as well as at the bottom)

More games = more money

Exciting finish guaranteed = more TV interest

Probably an extra OF game every year

Not a bad shout but how would you work the playoffs? A title play off is out and do we have enough European slots to have a play off for? Would adding more teams to the playoffs for relegation help? The relegation battle in our league is the most competitive part of our league and the TV companies don’t really care.

Well the relegation play offs are designed to protect the top division sides really. With 16 in the top there's no need for that so just have a more normal playoff at the bottom.

At the top I'd love to see a championship play off but football is too stuffy to handle that (works well in rugby and American football I think). It would be far too revolutionary for us.

So more doable would be 2nd to 5th playing off for the euro spots I suppose.

Well the relegation play offs are designed to protect the top division sides really. With 16 in the top there's no need for that so just have a more normal playoff at the bottom.

At the top I'd love to see a championship play off but football is too stuffy to handle that (works well in rugby and American football I think). It would be far too revolutionary for us.

So more doable would be 2nd to 5th playing off for the euro spots I suppose.

Id add More teams going down with playoffs in top of that. It would help reduce the amount of meaningless matches. Pie in the sky though, its too radical for Scottish football.

The old firm would block it.

Would be great for the rest of us.

Could go the whole hog and create some wonky 4 divisions of 4 thing a bit like NFL regular season then full on play offs.

But.... Won't happen.

I had a look at this geographic wise a few years back when there was no Hun

It kinda almost works but I couldn't imagine the clubs ever going for it.

How many games are we playing a season now?

38 league

Add on around 6 for combination of mid to lower tables early LC groups, or those in Europa & later stages of cup (+ or -)

A few SC games. Probably most sides will average around 45 games. With Only Celtic going into the 50's.

Still a lot of games. Too many really, especially considering our weather & climate.

For those reasons, dropping a few league games would be a bonus.

Financially, losing 8 games, 4 home. Would obviously be a loss but the cost saved of 4 less away fixtures takes away a little of the loss of 4 home fixtures. Plus the money saved on policing, stewarding etc. at the 4 homes.

Say we are basically losing around 3 home league games a season, as far as direct profit goes. Considering what I just said.

Yes that is still a substantial amount but not one that could not be made up for. It would all very much hinge on what exactly the new Europa plans & funding would be however to compensate a smaller domestic fixture list. If the plan was to ensure that none of the clubs would be any worse off financially then I do not see how anyone could, or would complain.

I think most clubs would currently likely plan for 18 home fixtures anyway because 19 is not always guaranteed because of the split at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't have to be 16 top flight.

18 with 34 games a season, two leagues of 12 below. Not too drastic a change that. Only 2 less home games a season.

Could even try an odd number in top flight, allowing one side a week off each week lol

I would love to see a larger top flight, even if it did mean some relatively smaller sides in top division.

• Downvote 1

If teams only need to play the old firm twice a season it's easier to maintain a title challenge as long as you can take care of the rest. I would prefer a 18 team league.

Someone calculated the points lost by having to play the old firm four times pre hun death. They posted it on here somewhere to show how close teams like us could get. Cant remember who

18 would be too much, you would be left with meaningless matches. Weve only got one CL spot and two Europa league slots, even with three relegation spots it leaves a lot of side just plodding along. That wouldnt necessary bother me if aberdeen were challenging at the top but it would if we werent.

It wont go to a larger league, The tims and huns want to play each other as much as possible, they along with Doncaster see this as the only marketing tool for tv deals.

Someone calculated the points lost by having to play the old firm four times pre hun death. They posted it on here somewhere to show how close teams like us could get. Cant remember who

18 would be too much, you would be left with meaningless matches. Weve only got one CL spot and two Europa league slots, even with three relegation spots it leaves a lot of side just plodding along. That wouldnt necessary bother me if aberdeen were challenging at the top but it would if we werent.

It wont go to a larger league, The tims and huns want to play each other as much as possible, they along with Doncaster see this as the only marketing tool for tv deals.

Pretty much sums up everything about Scottish Football.

TV only really want OF games.

So we build a league to provide 4 of them to secure the most TV money.

Results in a very uncompetitive league

Results in ever decreasing interest from TV

We destroy the integrity of our game in an attempt to bring in more money from TV companies. Sad.

We really are just managing decline with this sort of thinking - but that's all the SPFL aspire too.

It's also a very short-sighted view to take saying the Old Firm matches are the only thing TV companies are after. If we have a more competitive 10 team league interest in all 10 sides will increase. This will boost attendances quite quickly with sponsorship and TV revenue recovering as a result over time.

Clubs are all businesses now though, and the Chairmen have shareholders to answer to. Anything that risks income will be swiftly brushed aside.

Nah?

Nothing to do with giving the majority what they want, therefore more customers and therefore more money ?

That's a fundamental misunderstanding of what marketing is.

More customers do not equal more money.

What is your customer profile, what is your cost per acquisition, where are your opportunity costs, is there a customer lifecycle, is there competition for that (what is essentially discretionary income) and a thousand other questions. Go into marketing but hey it's as simple as more customers = more money.

It's also a very short-sighted view to take saying the Old Firm matches are the only thing TV companies are after. If we have a more competitive 10 team league interest in all 10 sides will increase. This will boost attendances quite quickly with sponsorship and TV revenue recovering as a result over time.

Clubs are all businesses now though, and the Chairmen have shareholders to answer to. Anything that risks income will be swiftly brushed aside.

Making some fairly large assumptions there, I'm not sure if in the current media climate that is entirely true, it's the same as people who think we should have no games on TV, that isn't the landscape that exists. The game has devolved into stratas and unfortunately Scottish football is quite far down the food chain, having said that if it's correctly marketed and branded it could be much more successful than it is, but UEFA has pumped the pooch so hard that it has actually ruined the game all across Europe.

Our best bet for relevance is to be very different to the other leagues that exist in our space.

Just look at England 75% of games mean fuck all, majority of teams going to win fuck all. But well covered by Tv...Bigger leagues are better..Less games against same opposition is only good for the game. Playing the same teams 4x a season gets boring as fuck and repetitive and it needs changed but personally I don't think it will be as lesser clubs in our division will vote against it..

Look at Partick they were moaning was it last season as were going to get 1 less game against old firm and they said they needed that game for revenue and could not afford to loose out on it.

Just look at England 75% of games mean fuck all, majority of teams going to win fuck all. But well covered by Tv...Bigger leagues are better..Less games against same opposition is only good for the game. Playing the same teams 4x a season gets boring as fuck and repetitive and it needs changed but personally I don't think it will be as lesser clubs in our division will vote against it..

Look at Partick they were moaning was it last season as were going to get 1 less game against old firm and they said they needed that game for revenue and could not afford to loose out on it.

Exactly. Proper marketing & the suited cunts running our league & selling it to the sponsors & tv/sky etc. selling the whole league & not just the Tims & the Huns.

You don't see all the smaller clubs down south complaining that they are only getting one home game a season against the bigger sides. Or in any other leagues in most countries that I can think of.

Basically those selling & advertising the league to customers etc. need to get their act together & the small minded mentality clubs & chairmen need to be told to fucking suck it up & sort their club out without this bullshit need to depend on the love of the Glasgow fuckers. I include Stewart Milne in that 100%

• Upvote 1

Do we need to restructure the league ? Only to put the diddy teams out their misery... Some of those teams should merge. Anyone not pulling in over 1000 fans for an average home game is no use to anyone and not bringing anything to Scottish football save being development teams for us and every other bigger team to loan players out to...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DV29AhhW4AIFQbC.jpg:large