A Good Time For Planning League Restructuring Again?

A fourteen team league which split into two groups of seven after 26 rounds of fixtures and then everyone plays the other teams in their group home and away would give each team 38 games as currently and would avoid the possibility of a fixture imbalance. Teams like the Dons would have a good chance of still being in the running at the split (or going by this season even be leading) and this might encourage greater effort. The smaller teams in the league might lose an old firm home game but are not guaranteed more than two currently and might balance this with the chance of making the top seven.

A drawback would be that post split each team would have to sit out two rounds of fixtures but given that games are often being played twice weekly they might welcome the down time.

Only thing with that is a 38 game domestic league doesn't reduce the fixture schedule to allow for more European games like Lawell is suggesting, if the Europa league is reformatted to introduce more games

I'm pretty sceptical about this promised Europa revamp.

I'm sure we've been here before with uefa promising a europa competition that really helps the 2nd/3rd tier clubs but in the end they just rammed it with loads of qualification rounds to keep those clubs out and reserved places for champions league drop outs instead.

Not holding my breath.

Very true. It really is fighting a losing battle.