AFC-Chat - Recommended by 9/10 Westhill housewives and Atlanta Soccer Moms

News's Content

There have been 1000 items by News (Search limited from 11-December 18)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1871994 Derek McInnes demands more from Aberdeen after 3-0 Hibernian loss

Posted by News on Yesterday, 12:19 PM in News

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has called for more from his side following their 3-0 defeat at Hibernian on Saturday.

The Leith side’s win against the Dons was just their second in 17 matches and, while McInnes believes the final score did not reflect his side’s performance, he knows there must be an improvement when Hamilton visit Pittodrie on Saturday.

He said: “A 3-0 is not what we have come to expect, we’re extremely disappointed. Had we shown more conviction and quality we could have got ourselves in front.

“But all three goals we conceded came after we lost the ball in poor areas and Hibs became like the away team hitting us on the counter.”

McInnes made a triple substitution in an attempt to get something from the game following Martin Boyle’s opener for Jack Ross’s side and the Aberdeen manager concedes his decision may have been hasty.

He said: “We felt even at 2-0 there was something in the game. But the changes we made, maybe we were guilty of going for it a bit early. We wanted to be more of an attacking threat with two strikers and two wide players.

McInnes saw his side lose 3-0 on Saturday.

“I don’t want to dismiss it as a blip but we didn’t defend the goals well enough. We allowed it to develop where Hibs could play as an away side.

“We were good value in the first half and were far busier than they were. We counter-attacked really well and the speed of Jon Gallagher, Sam Cosgrove and Greg Leigh caused them problems.

“I’m maybe guilty of making too many changes looking back now. I thought the 3-4-1-2 we went to allowed us more possession of the ball and we got into good areas, but we didn’t do enough with the ball and I’ve gambled too early with the shape because it left us more open.”

Aberdeen winger Niall McGinn was replaced on the substitutes’ bench by Bruce Anderson after suffering a recurrence of the calf strain which forced him to miss the Rangers match but McInnes hopes he will be fit to face Accies on Saturday.

View the full article

#1871914 Aberdeen not worried about McGinn’s calf

Posted by News on Yesterday, 10:26 AM in News

Aberdeen winger Niall Mc Ginn is not expected to spend any longer on the sidelines after his late withdrawal from the squad at Easter Road.

View the full article

#1871915 Aberdeen boss McInnes not pressing panic button after 3-0 loss to Hibs

Posted by News on Yesterday, 10:23 AM in News

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes isn’t pressing the panic button after the 3-0 defeat to Hibernian at Easter Road.

View the full article

#1871857 Could Cosgrove move on to pastures new next month?

Posted by News on Yesterday, 07:00 AM in News

His incredible goal return in the last 12 months has put Sam Cosgrove firmly on the radar of clubs in England – but Aberdeen assistant manager Tony Docherty is delighted the Dons striker’s hard work is paying off.

Aberdeen took a calculated risk when they brought Cosgrove to Pittodrie from Carlisle in January 2018. But they have been rewarded with 39 Cosgrove goals in 74 appearances – 37 in the last 12 months.

The Dons have given Cosgrove the platform to thrive in Scottish football but Docherty insists it is the player himself who deserves credit.

He said: “I have to give big Sam more credit than anybody. The amount of work he puts out there on the training pitch is there for all to see and he is getting his rewards for that hard work.

“He is full of confidence and we are really seeing a player that can develop.

“He is still a young player and there are bits of his game that he needs to improve but he admits that himself.

“The rate of improvement and the level of improvement couldn’t be more pleasing for me.

“He has to make sure he keeps going the right way.

“It is all testament to his hard work and commitment that he puts into his game every day and we are seeing the end product on a Saturday.”

With 18 goals to his name so far this term, interest in the striker, who turned 23 last week, is growing.

Middlesbrough assistant manager Robbie Keane (English Championship) travelled to Pittodrie to watch the attacker in action in the 2-2 draw with Rangers last week.

Docherty is not surprised.

He added: “I don’t know who Robbie Keane was watching but he was keeping Niall McGinn company.

“Sam is going to come to people’s attention with his statistics.

“A lot of teams down south look at the stats and crunch them.

“Eighteen goals for big Sam really is a fantastic return.

“When you go a bit deeper and the type of goals he scores and the chances to goals ratio he is doing well and so will attract attention.

“He is such a joy to work with. You have to drag him off the training ground and the gym and he is always in that performance analysis lab looking at ways he can improve his game.

“He is a boy that deserves everything he is getting at the moment.”

Cosgrove is committed to the Dons but it will be a surprise if no club tests Aberdeen’s resolve when the transfer window opens next month.

Docherty has watched players come and go after impressing in the red shirt and he remains relaxed about the speculation.

He said: “If players do well at Aberdeen then of course they are going to attract interest because that is the nature of the beast.

“You talk about our midfield against Rangers – we were asking people to do a job even though a few of them were in natural positions.

“People have watched our midfield and it had Kenny McLean, Ryan Christie, Graeme Shinnie, Ryan Jack and James Maddison.

“If they are doing well for us whether they are our own or loan players then it is a win-win situation for us.

“We couldn’t work with a better boy, the type of person Sam is. He is a brilliant boy and the same with Scott McKenna and Lewis Ferguson.

“Now working at Cormack Park you are giving them a better chance.

“It is a great situation and as I said it is a win-win one.

“When they are doing well at Aberdeen they are also attracting attention from other clubs.”

View the full article

#1871671 Three talking points after Aberdeen’s weekend loss to Hibs

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 04:42 PM in News

Aberdeen conceded three times after half-time at Easter Road to go down 3-0 to Hibs.

View the full article

#1871672 Willie Miller: Aberdeen must get it right at the back and then try to build f...

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 03:17 PM in News

Aberdeen’s defence needs to tighten up after Saturday’s 3-0 defeat to Hibs.

View the full article

#1871673 Former Dons star Gary Mackay-Steven reveals he thought he was on a golf cours...

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 02:13 PM in News

Footballer Gary Mackay-Steven has revealed he woke up in hospital after his infamous river plunge thinking he was on a golf course.

The former Celtic and Aberdeen star was rescued from the River Kelvin in Glasgow and treated for hypothermia after he fell into it during a drunken night out in August, 2017.

But the winger has told how he caused concern after becoming convinced he was on the fairways playing a round when he was actually in a hospital ward.

The 29-year-old said he was unable to take in his surroundings and later told a nurse he thought he was on Union Street in Aberdeen.

Mackay-Steven said he is still unsure if his confusion was caused by the effects of hypothermia or concussion from banging his head as he was swept along the river.

He said: “One thing that was bizarre was being in the hospital.

“The nurse came through and said ‘all the checks are good, you can get out but you just need to tell me where you are’.

“I said ‘yeah no problem, golf course’. The nurse was like ‘no, have a look around, where are you?’

“I remember sitting there looking at monitors, looking at wires and my bed and I said ‘yeah, the golf course’. I was convinced I was at a golf course.

“My girlfriend was in the corner and she had obviously had a hell of a night and she couldn’t tell me where I was, I had to work it out for myself or they couldn’t release me.

“The nurse came back half an hour later and I said I was at Union Street in Aberdeen. She said ‘No you’re not on Union Street’ and I said ‘I know, I’m at the golf course’.

“I asked the doctor what it was and the one I asked didn’t have a clue. To this day I don’t know.

“I’m not even a golfer. It was bizarre.”

Mackay Steven, who now plays for New York City in the MLS, said he thought the incident was a laugh at first.

However, he now admits he could have died if he had not been a fit athlete and strong swimmer.

He ended up in the river after slipping when he jumped over a wall on his way home from a nightclub with friends.

The Thurso-born player spent 50 minutes in the water and rescue crews were drafted in to help him before he was taken to Glasgow’s Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Speaking on the Football Daft podcast, he added: “I had a flat party that night after a game. I didn’t actually play in the game which was maybe a good thing for later on because I had the energy to keep afloat.

“Survival guys spoke on the subject afterwards. I had been in for such a length of time and had been drinking so it was so dangerous.

“I jumped over this wall and all of a sudden I was in the river.

“I got caught in what was like rapids and then I was swept down the river for a good bit.

“I remember being under water and going pretty fast so it was mental. Being able to swim helped greatly.”

View the full article

#1871609 Skipper Lewis says Aberdeen team need to do more to help striker Cosgrove aft...

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 12:57 PM in News

Joe Lewis reckons the rest of the Aberdeen team need to take some of the pressure off Sam Cosgrove.

View the full article

#1871515 Aberdeen boss McInnes says Hibs ‘took full advantage’ of lapses

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 10:20 AM in News

Swift, organised and clinical.

Hibernian were everything Aberdeen were not in their Easter Road demolition of a Dons side woefully off-colour.

Martin Boyle’s brace and another from Florian Kamberi blew Aberdeen out of the water, in a second-half display that exploited an ill-judged switch to a back three from the Dons that left their defensive frailties exposed.

Their output going forward was minimal but the ease with which Hibernian picked them apart in the second half gives greatest cause for concern.

Manager Derek McInnes said: “Hibs have been a bit anxious at home of late and if we got that first goal, it would have a major bearing on the game. We allow too much space for the pass to be made for the first goal but the pass shouldn’t be on.

“We’re guilty of allowing that space for Boyle to run into and he’s punished us emphatically.

“We then become the team that has all the possession and Hibs become the counter-attacking team. They punish us. The next two goals we lose possession in their half and they’ve punished us. I still think we can even make a foul to stop them getting in the box. Their attacking players took full advantage and it’s disappointing.”

McInnes opted for a lop-sided 4-2-3-1 at the start, with Greg Leigh playing wide on the left but deeper than James Wilson on the opposite flank.

Leigh’s positioning provided cover for Andy Considine at left-back, with Jason Naismith advancing from the right side of defence and Martin Boyle prone to drift wide from his central position behind the two strikers.

Leigh showed he could be an effective option going forward against Rangers, supplementing the Dons’ attack with his willingness to take on the opposite full-back and deliver tempting crosses into the box.

It was that change in formation at Pittodrie, which resulted in Jon Gallagher moving through the middle, that precipitated the Dons’ revival against Rangers, and McInnes kept faith with the same strategy.

Aside from a save apiece from Joe Lewis and Ofir Marciano, keeping out Stevie Mallan and Cosgrove respectively, neither stopper endured a busy first period.

The Dons hinted at clicking into gear with a couple of attacks, but interventions from Ryan Porteous and Melker Hallberg prevented them turning into anything serious.

Marciano’s intervention was required before the break to prevent a Dons counter breaking the deadlock, with first Wilson and then Cosgrove kept at bay by the hosts’ goalkeeper.

Gallagher’s eagerness to press works a treat when his team-mates follow his lead. But in the build-up to Hibs’ opening goal, you could see him gesturing to team-mates to get higher up the park and capitalise on a spell of Aberdeen pressure. As it was, the home side were able to play out of danger, with Scott Allan’s pass bisecting Scott McKenna and Considine to find Boyle.

He still had the proverbial “plenty to do” but remained composed, lifting the ball over the advancing Lewis to tap into an empty net.

The Dons had been negated as an attacking threat and needed a change. McInnes reverted to the 3-4-3 operated against St Mirren, making a triple change to try to put Hibs under some concerted pressure. But little chance was given for them to do so, with fantastic work from Kamberi – exchanging passes with Hallberg before releasing Boyle – allowing the goalscorer to race clear of Considine and clip Hibernian two in front.

McInnes said: “We’ve wanted more of an attacking threat – we had to force the issue and I still thought it was there to be won. I still thought there was something in the game for us if we take our opportunities.”

Florian Kamberi strikes to make it 3-0 to Hibernian.

Kamberi, a source of frustration to Hibernian managers in the past, gave new manager Jack Ross the perfect audition to the type of player he can be, capping his afternoon with a wonderfully-taken solo goal, giving a vibrant Easter Road further reason to celebrate. McInnes, by contrast, was left scratching his head.

“It didn’t feel like a 3-0 game,” McInnes said. “The game was pretty even up until our second goal. We’ve been countered again for the third goal. Sometimes that’s the trade-off when you try to get back in the game. The quality they have at the top end of the pitch, they put us to the sword.”

View the full article

#1871516 Joe Lewis: Aberdeen can’t use injuries as excuse for subpar showing against H...

Posted by News on 09 December 2019 - 10:04 AM in News

Aberdeen skipper Joe Lewis insists missing injured players is no excuse for the team not performing.

The Dons were once again without Funso Ojo and Craig Bryson for Saturday’s 3-0 defeat against Hibernian, meaning another spell in the middle of the park for Zak Vyner.

Lewis said: “They’re important players. They’re injured at the moment – there’s no telling if they’d have made a difference.

“Potentially they would have done as they’re experienced players – but there’s no point worrying about what you can’t impact.

They’re working so hard to get back on the pitch.

“It’s the 11 on the pitch that are responsible for our performances and results. We take responsibility for the results on the pitch.”

Craig Bryson is out.

Leading scorer Sam Cosgrove was denied on a couple of occasions in the first half by Ofir Marciano, but was not able to add to his tally of 18 goals so far this season.

However, Lewis feels the onus cannot just be put on Cosgrove or the team’s strikers to find the back of the net.

“It’s not necessarily the front men – we rely heavily on Sam’s goals and we maybe need to take more responsibility throughout the whole team to alleviate that responsibility from him.

“We needed to show more quality throughout the pitch. Defensively we’re naïve, to let Kamberi come in on his right foot from that position.

“We shouldn’t have done that. You don’t want to point the finger at anyone but we need to be better defensively. If we’re not scoring the goals and taking our chances, we need to be making sure we don’t concede. They have got in from different areas.”

The momentum generated from their comeback against Rangers – overturning a two-goal deficit to claim a point last week – now seems distant after the manner of their second-half collapse.

Lewis added: “The way we played in the second half against Rangers was on the front foot. There was no lack of effort or trying – there was naivety in our defending. That’s the whole team.

“That first goal was crucial and we needed to make sure after that – we didn’t really carry the quality to force their goalkeeper into anything too special.”

View the full article

#1871447 Highlights: Hibernian 3-0 Aberdeen

Posted by News on 08 December 2019 - 08:32 PM in News

Martin Boyle scores twice as Hibernian beat Aberdeen to make it three wins from five under new manager Jack Ross. (UK only)

View the full article

#1870872 'Aberdeen gifted Hibs all three goals' - Derek McInnes

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 07:00 PM in News

Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes says his side's carelessness in possession gifted Hibernian all three of their goals at Easter Road.

View the full article

#1870882 Aberdeen drop to fourth after loss to Hibs at Easter Road

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 04:50 PM in News

Aberdeen dropped behind Motherwell to fourth in the Premiership after being thoroughly outclassed in the second half at Easter Road, losing 3-0 to Hibs.

View the full article

#1870883 Martin Boyle brace inspires Hibernian to convincing 3-0 triumph over Aberdeen

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 04:50 PM in News

A Martin Boyle brace helped Hibernian to a clinical 3-0 dismantling of Aberdeen at Easter Road.

Aberdeen-born Boyle twice punished slack Dons defending, before Florian Kamberi capped an impressive display with a meandering solo effort.

The nature of Aberdeen’s second-half collapse will worry manager Derek McInnes, with Hibs able to play their way through the red ranks with relative ease.

Ofir Marciano enjoyed a stress-free second period too, as any positivity from Aberdeen’s fight-back against Rangers quickly evaporated.

McInnes named an unchanged side from the 2-2 draw with Rangers, keeping faith with Ash Taylor at centre-half and James Wilson out wide.

Hibs had the first shot at goal and Joe Lewis had to be at full stretch to deny Stevie Mallan, as the midfielder latched on to Scott McKenna’s miscued clearance to force a near-post save from the Dons skipper.

Eighteen-goal striker Sam Cosgrove had the visitors’ first sight of goal, drawing a similar stop out of Marciano after Ryan Porteous deflected the ball into his path.

On a number of occasions the Dons broke forward and the final pass let them down, with Jon Gallagher and Wilson both seeing attempts to feed in Cosgrove but seeing green-and-white shirts intervene at the decisive moment.

Sam Cosgrove is denied by Ofir Marciano.

Marciano was called into action with a double stop to deny a promising Dons counter. Taylor’s clearance from a Hibs corner was gathered by Wilson, who galloped clear of the home defence. Cutting inside on his left foot, he drew a parry from Marciano into the centre of the box, with Cosgrove seeing his follow-up blocked by the goalkeeper’s legs.

After a tame end to the opening period, Hibernian came to the fore seven minutes into the second half. Scott Allan’s pass split McKenna and Andy Considine to find Boyle, who delicately lifted the ball over Lewis before tapping into an empty net.

Hibs were now riding the crest of a wave, with Considine required to block from Mallan and Lewis gathering Jason Naismith’s speculative effort at the second attempt. The energy looked to have dissipated out of Aberdeen’s performance.

McInnes responded by making a triple substitution, hauling off Wilson, Shay Logan and Zak Vyner for Ryan Hedges, Dean Campbell and Curtis Main, switching to a 3-4-3 in a bid to draw level.

Martin Boyle opens the scoring for Hibernian.

But it was given little time to take effect. Kamberi’s crisp one-two with Melker Hallberg allowed him to superbly release Boyle, who was able to outpace Considine and clip Hibernian into a two-goal lead.

Kamberi put the gloss on a ruthless second-half display from the hosts, weaving his way past a staggering Dons defence and slipping the ball inside Lewis’ near post to pad the scoreline further.

The closest sniff Cosgrove got of goal was rebuffed by a Paul Hanlon challenge, ensuring Hibernian finished the game spotless and with three points in tow.

View the full article

#1870577 Hibernian v Aberdeen

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 01:51 PM in News

Live coverage of Saturday's Scottish Premiership game between Hibernian and Aberdeen.

View the full article

#1870396 Aberdeen’s Vyner building up midfield savvy brick by brick

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 09:00 AM in News

Versatile Bristol City loanee Zak Vyner has seen first hand the building blocks of playing central midfield while at Aberdeen.

View the full article

#1870397 Considine has chance to feature for Aberdeen at Easter Road today along with...

Aberdeen’s squad could be bolstered for the visit to Easter Road today, according to assistant manager Tony Docherty.

View the full article

#1870398 Docherty not surprised English Championship sides are Keane to look at Aberde...

Aberdeen assistant manager Tony Docherty thinks there should be no raised eyebrows about interest in red-hot frontman Sam Cosgrove.

View the full article

#1870399 Taylor: Aberdeen have silenced those who questioned team’s big game mentality

Posted by News on 07 December 2019 - 07:00 AM in News

Aberdeen defender Ash Taylor believes his club has silenced the critics who questioned the players’ big game mentality.

The Dons have drawn criticism for their two heavy defeats to Celtic and Rangers this season and it looked as if another mauling was on the cards as the Gers raced into a 2-0 lead inside the opening half hour at Pittodrie on Wednesday.

But a stirring comeback from Derek McInnes’s side resulted in Aberdeen earning a share of the spoils in 2-2 draw.

Taylor, who made his first start since the Europa League second qualifying round first leg at Chikhura Sachkhere on July 25, insists the response to falling 2-0 behind was important for the current Dons squad.

He said: “It’s quite big thing to get a result like that. You always get questioned in these types of games and how performances and results are. You’re always judged on the big games.

“As it’s a new squad as well, I feel like it’s instilled a bit more belief in the squad.

“In my previous time here, it was already there and we had some big characters in the changing room.”

Taylor’s return to the starting line-up for the big game was an important element of his side’s remarkable comeback from a torrid opening 35 minutes on what was a landmark occasion for him following his spell on the sidelines with a hamstring injury.

Ash Taylor was forced off with a hamstring injury against Chikhura.

Taylor, who is in his second spell with the Dons, was pleased to be able to add his experience to the side in what was a crucial game.

He said: “I was told after the game it was my 400th start. I’m close to 450 career appearances now. It’s not a bad stat after four months out. It feels longer.

“I’ve done the work with the physios to make sure that I’m fit and ready to go.

“I’ve played in some big games for this football club and they needed that in terms of what it’s like in certain big games.

“I thought I brought that in terms of organisation and communication. It was just a bit more experience in defence.

“In the first 35 minutes they were controlling the game and playing how they wanted to play. Lewis Ferguson dropped into a more central role and got involved more and played more passes.

“It helped us and then we got the goal and the game turned in our favour.”

The fightback ensured Aberdeen remain undefeated since relocating to their training base at Cormack Park during the international break and with just one defeat in their last eight matches confidence is growing in the Dons camp.

A trip to Easter Road to face an improving Hibernian side is next up for Taylor and his team-mates today. The Hibees will want to bounce back from their 2-1 loss at Ross County on Wednesday but the Dons defender insists his side is keen to build on Wednesday’s encouraging result.

He said: “I’ve played against a few of the Hibs lads. We’ve got a job to do and nullify their threat. They’ve got a good squad but we’ve got to go and do our job.

“We‘re on a good run and it’s important to keep that momentum going into a tough period during December.

“The games come thick and fast and it’s important we keep that momentum going.”

View the full article

#1870364 Scottish Premiership team news, stats & selectors

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 11:11 PM in News

With four Scottish Premiership games on Saturday, catch up with all the team news and stats and choose your preferred XI.

View the full article

#1870335 Aberdeen: Comeback against Rangers can be 'springboard' - Tony Docherty

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 08:26 PM in News

Aberdeen's comeback against Rangers in midweek has changed the "psyche" of the Pittodrie players, says assistant manager Tony Docherty.

View the full article

#1870177 Sportscene predictions: World champion boxer Josh Taylor takes on Steven Thom...

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 12:59 PM in News

BBC Scotland pundit Steven Thompson goes up against world champion boxer Josh Taylor in the latest edition of Thommo's Tips.

View the full article

#1870084 Hibs must toughen up to prevent more lost points, says Naismith

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 10:00 AM in News

Hibernian defender Jason Naismith has called on his side to cut out their mental slackness ahead of tomorrow’s Premiership visit of Aberdeen.

Hibs have dropped numerous points by squandering winning positions, with the latest coming in Wednesday’s 2-1 defeat to Naismith’s former club Ross County.

Although the Edinburgh side have enjoyed a revival under new manager Jack Ross which has seen them rise to sixth in the Premiership, right back Naismith feels the recurring inability to close out games has prevented them challenging even further up the table.

Naismith said: “It doesn’t feel like a habit – it’s a frustration more than anything because we don’t want it to happen. We’ve been conceding soft goals so it’s something we need to look at. It’s clear to see that we need to toughen up mentally to see these games out. Nobody can argue with that.

“We can back each other up all we like but it’s clear as day, from the positions we’ve got ourselves into and the number of points we’ve let slip, that we’ve not been mentally good enough. The mentality has to change and it has to change quickly.

“As players, we need to realise how lucky we are to have this opportunity to play for Hibs and get a steeliness about ourselves. We’re going ahead in games and we’re probably thinking it’s won, but it’s obviously not won, as we’ve seen on far too many occasions. We need to get that out of our game.”

Hibs host the Dons this weekend, having also relinquished the lead when they last faced Derek McInnes’ men in a 1-1 draw in October.

Naismith is full of admiration for the Pittodrie side, adding: “Aberdeen were the second best team in Scotland for a while until last year. They’re obviously one of the top teams in the league and Derek McInnes will have them fired up coming to Easter Road.

“We need to analyse what happened on Wednesday and then put it behind us because it was our first defeat in ten league games.

“We need to move on and try and get back on a winning run. There’s always pressure playing with Hibs.”

Naismith joined Hibs on loan from Peterborough United in the summer, only 12 months on from leaving the Staggies for the English League One club, with the 25-year-old pleased with the way his move has worked out.

He added: “I love playing with Hibs. It’s obviously a massive club and every day’s a joy going in. I’m back to enjoying my football again. It’s an honour to be here.”

View the full article

#1870083 Gallagher: Draw with Rangers gives Aberdeen supporters something to feed off

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 09:03 AM in News

Aberdeen attacker Jon Gallagher hopes the manner of the team’s draw with Rangers gives the Red Army something to “feed off”.

View the full article

#1869996 Gallagher in the dark over Aberdeen future

Posted by News on 06 December 2019 - 08:13 AM in News

Aberdeen loanee Jon Gallagher admits he is “in the dark” over his own future.

Gallagher’s loan from Atlanta United, who joined with the Dons in a new strategic partnership last month, is up in January and discussions are ongoing between the two clubs.

The Irishman scored his first goal for Aberdeen in Wednesday’s 2-2 draw with Rangers and has made 21 appearances for Derek McInnes’ side this season.

Gallagher joined in the summer from the MLS franchise, having been coached by former Don Stephen Glass in Atlanta’s second team while also working under legendary Aberdeen goalkeeper Bobby Clark at college at Notre Dame.

Gallagher said: “I’m still in the dark as to what’s going to happen but they’re working on it. Hopefully they can find a solution that benefits all three parties. I’m just focusing on my football – when I do that I’m happy.

“I wanted to come over and play first-team football and have experiences like I did tonight. It’s been brilliant for my career and I just want to keep growing.”

The 23-year-old had little idea of the link-up between Atlanta and Aberdeen, with the United president Darren Eales taking a seat on the Dons board following a £2million investment in the club.

It comes as Dave Cormack prepares to take over the chairmanship at Pittodrie at the club’s AGM on December 16.

Gallagher added: “It was news to me – I didn’t really know much was going on.

“It’s exciting and hopefully it can benefit both parties.”

The Dons showed resilience in coming from two goals down in midweek against the Gers, with Andy Considine following up Gallagher’s goal with a second-half leveller. He hopes the Dons can deliver a consistent run of form to cement their place near the top of the division.

He added: “We have another tough opponent coming up on Saturday – we’ll take the positives and switch focus.

“We’ve been in and out of results but in the last few games, we’ve shown we can be up there in the table.”

The Dons head to Easter Road to face Hibernian tomorrow afternoon.

Jack Ross’ side were on the wrong end of a 2-1 defeat in Dingwall on Wednesday night.

View the full article