#1 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:06 PM

Apparently we're looking to sign up Shaun Maloney. Don't know if theirs any truth in it, but i would be happy with that. He's 34 but still more than good enough for the SPL, we could get maybe 2 decent seasons out of him. It would be a big plus to have a dead ball expert in the team, something we've missed.

#2 OFFLINE   perthshirered

perthshirered

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:11 PM

Seriously?
Where did you hear that? Its not often a rumour like that manages to slip under the radar.

#3 OFFLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,627 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:36 PM

on the ball mate

though to be fair, Maryhill is definitely in a time warp of its own

had you heard Skovdahl was sacked?

Edited by Millertime, 10 May 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Seriously?
Where did you hear that? Its not often a rumour like that manages to slip under the radar.

According to the Sun. Like i said, might be a lot of shite.

#5 OFFLINE   tup

tup

A man of violence

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 20-January 11

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

Seriously?

According to the Sun. Like i said, might be a lot of shite.

:laughing:

AFC Chat's Best Poster

#6 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

Never thought to look in the rumour mill, don't usually go beyond the main forum. My mistake.

#7 OFFLINE   ericblack4boss

ericblack4boss

My name is Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,596 posts
  • Joined 17-February 08

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

Never thought to look in the rumour mill, don't usually go beyond the main forum. My mistake.

Don't apologise. Just as much total fucking drivel spouted on the other forums too.
A MAN OF THE DON, IS WORTH TWO OF THE DEE!

#8 OFFLINE   paddy

paddy

Official AFC Ping Pong Coach

• Moderators
  • 2,673 posts
  • Joined 20-August 07

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:43 PM

It's ok Maryhilldon - I suppose this can be the placeholder thread for when we sign Maloney

I can beat The Cockney Don at Ping Pong.

#9 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,523 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the support you guys.

#10 OFFLINE   Lencarl

Lencarl

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Joined 25-April 11

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:02 PM

First rule of AFC Forum never apologise for anything.

Second thing is you will find hundreds of post on the same subjects on different threads.

:happy: 

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#11 OFFLINE   perthshirered

perthshirered

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

Sorry, it was too tempting.

#12 OFFLINE   the sheep

the sheep

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Joined 24-December 07

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:45 PM

Have to admit to being a bit Meh........about the possibility Shaun Maloney coming to the Dandies. Would have had him here like a shot when he played for and then left Ceptic. If it's a free and if he is over and above the players that's required then so be it. Shaun has a good delivery, free kick but I just hope he has some pace left. I haven't seen him play of late probably down to the splinters in his arse with keeping the bench warm. Was looking for Wright to be given a chance next season  saving money for other positions in the team where I see is more critical to strengthen. We also need to be showing that youth will get it's chance if players are going to chose us over others in the SPL.

#13 OFFLINE   Lencarl

Lencarl

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Joined 25-April 11

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

HIBS are set to battle Aberdeen for Shaun Maloney.

SunSport understands Easter Road boss Neil Lennon is keen on a summer reunion with his former Celtic player.

Let's put this Shaun Maloney to Aberdeen rumour to bed.

We all know what Lennon wants Lennon gets, (apart from winning Scottish Cup semi-finals.)

#14 OFFLINE   CalgaryDon

CalgaryDon

MontrealDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Joined 15-December 13

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

Have to admit to being a bit Meh........about the possibility Shaun Maloney coming to the Dandies. Would have had him here like a shot when he played for and then left Ceptic. If it's a free and if he is over and above the players that's required then so be it. Shaun has a good delivery, free kick but I just hope he has some pace left. I haven't seen him play of late probably down to the splinters in his arse with keeping the bench warm. Was looking for Wright to be given a chance next season  saving money for other positions in the team where I see is more critical to strengthen. We also need to be showing that youth will get it's chance if players are going to chose us over others in the SPL.

Going to be controversial. I think Wright will be a good player for us but I like how we gravitate towards experienced and proven over youth. It's worked in our case and I believe McInnes will continue to do so. I'm starting to think Maloney would be a good replacement for McGinn. If he still has pace then he could be the best signing outside of Celtic this season (Berra may also have a say on that).

#15 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,746 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:51 PM

'm starting to think Maloney would be a good replacement for McGinn. If he still has pace 

He will still be good on the ball, and a good striker of a dead-ball, but at 34 no way will he still have burning pace.

But I agree he will be a good replacement for McGinn, in that sometimes his contribution will be pivotal and sometimes anonymous - so, like-for-like in that sense.  Also, people will moan that he is a tim, as they did with McGinn.

He has ~5 years on McGinn and so he will be a stop-gap for 1-2 seasons, which should be adequate to find a longer term player.

"When you're the only sane person, you look like the only insane person." 

- Criss Jami, "Diotima, Battery, Electric Personality"

#16 OFFLINE   CalgaryDon

CalgaryDon

MontrealDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Joined 15-December 13

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

He will still be good on the ball, and a good striker of a dead-ball, but at 34 no way will he still have burning pace.

But I agree he will be a good replacement for McGinn, in that sometimes his contribution will be pivotal and sometimes anonymous - so, like-for-like in that sense.  Also, people will moan that he is a tim, as they did with McGinn.

He has ~5 years on McGinn and so he will be a stop-gap for 1-2 seasons, which should be adequate to find a longer term player.

Potentially in that time Wright may develop and be an influential player for us in the future.

#17 OFFLINE   Lencarl

Lencarl

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts
  • Joined 25-April 11

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

If true, I hope Aberdeen do not have a biding war with Hibs for Shaun Maloney.

Not worth it.

#18 OFFLINE   KidCreole

KidCreole

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Joined 03-September 15

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

From the (please dont use a multi proxy ip server) PnJ 

Former Aberdeen and Celtic midfielder Billy Stark believes Dons manager Derek McInnes would pull off a major coup by signing Hull City and Scotland midfielder Shaun Maloney.

The 34-year-old former Celtic player is out of contract in the summer and, with Northern Ireland international Niall McGinn making it clear the Scottish Cup final against Celtic will be his last appearance for the Dons, Stark claims that Maloney’s arrival would more than make up for his departure.

“Would Shaun be a statement signing? Yes, absolutely,” he said. “They made a statement of sorts by paying relatively big money for Kenny McLean and that paid off. Shaun is a good Scotland international player and his status can add something extra to the team in terms of his ability and his experience of winning things. That is the kind of signing that would improve Aberdeen.

“McGinn going to England is obviously a loss to them because he carries a scoring threat as well as providing assists. But Shaun has that great set-piece delivery and he has real quality on the ball.

“He can create and score goals and his arrival would compensate for the loss of McGinn. In fact, if they can keep the rest of the squad, McGinn’s loss would be offset if Maloney comes.”

Maloney earned the last of his 47 caps for Scotland in the 3-0 defeat by France last season but Stark is convinced the veteran can still make an impact at Premiership level.

He said: “I believe he’s a good type of professional and a decent type and those lay-offs can add a couple of years on to the end of his career.”

#19 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,591 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 11 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'm even sure Maloney ever had real pace, certainly his style of play is more based on good ball control and passing rather than pace. So I don't see pace being a problem unless he has a Hartley like loss of mobility.

Also, is he really a pure wide player anyway? I see people taking about him as a direct replacement for McGinn/rival for Wright etc but I always though Maloney was better through the middle so I think we would still need to bring in an outright winger to replace McGinn and then mix things up as we go.

#20 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

EE reporting we'll find out next week if Maloney is signing or not.  If we get gazumped by popcorn teeth then I'm going to kill his unicorn.

#21 OFFLINE   sooth_stander

sooth_stander

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'm even sure Maloney ever had real pace, certainly his style of play is more based on good ball control and passing rather than pace. So I don't see pace being a problem unless he has a Hartley like loss of mobility.

Also, is he really a pure wide player anyway? I see people taking about him as a direct replacement for McGinn/rival for Wright etc but I always though Maloney was better through the middle so I think we would still need to bring in an outright winger to replace McGinn and then mix things up as we go.

Yep, I agree, he's more of a number 10 than a wide man. Maybe played on the left of a front 3 under O'Neill in the early days but he';s never been an out and out winger

#22 OFFLINE   Dom Sullivan

Dom Sullivan

Cult Hero

• Site Sponsor
  • 3,021 posts
  • Joined 12-July 08

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

EE reporting we'll find out next week if Maloney is signing or not.  If we get gazumped by popcorn teeth then I'm going to kill his unicorn.

There's too much media talk about Maloney signing and I've not seen anything from McInnes or the Club.

Winna happen
What goes around, comes around

#23 OFFLINE   KidCreole

KidCreole

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts
  • Joined 03-September 15

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

There's too much media talk about Maloney signing and I've not seen anything from McInnes or the Club.

Winna happen

They tend to be tight lipped in regards to targets these days particularly under D.M so there's hope yet.

#24 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,016 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

Winna happen

Don't you shatter my illusion by saying logical stuff you dick.

#25 OFFLINE   Geoff_Tipps

Geoff_Tipps

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Signing for Hibs, watch this space.......
Geoff Tipps: Well, things finally started going my way ladies and gentlemen. In 84 both our mothers got badly sick, mine, thank God, she got better. But yours DIED didn't she Mike? Didn't she?[Mike, in great pain and sorrow nods]Geoff Tipps: Yeah, I won that. At least I won the mums!

#26 OFFLINE   CalgaryDon

CalgaryDon

MontrealDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Joined 15-December 13

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

Signing for Hibs, watch this space.......

Stokes and Ambrose are set to sign for them.

#27 OFFLINE   Geoff_Tipps

Geoff_Tipps

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • Joined 13-January 11

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:47 AM

So is Maloney
Geoff Tipps: Well, things finally started going my way ladies and gentlemen. In 84 both our mothers got badly sick, mine, thank God, she got better. But yours DIED didn't she Mike? Didn't she?[Mike, in great pain and sorrow nods]Geoff Tipps: Yeah, I won that. At least I won the mums!

#28 OFFLINE   Reed or deed

Reed or deed

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,651 posts
  • Joined 23-September 15

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

Poloney.

#29 OFFLINE   CraigHill

CraigHill

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Joined 16-December 06

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:19 AM

Hibs are now the second Edinburgh team to be pulling away from us FFS!

#30 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,459 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

So Hibs are mini Celtic & we're mini ICT

Ding Dong

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users