slinkyvagabond

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Joined 27-November 16

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

/John Terry is 36.... Buffon is 39!!/

Aye but playing in leagues were £££££ is no object.  We dont have that luxury.

#32 OFFLINE   King Street Loon

King Street Loon

Experienced Campaigner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,596 posts
  • Joined 13-July 08

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:14 PM

/John Terry is 36.... Buffon is 39!!/

Aye but playing in leagues were £££££ is no object.  We dont have that luxury.

What does the £££££££ have to do with the individuals ability at a certain age?

The Northern Lights of old Aberdeen

Mean home sweet home to me

The Northern Lights of Aberdeen

Are what I long to see

I've been a wanderer all of my life

And many a sight I've seen

God speed the day when l'm on my way

To my home in Aberdeen!!

#33 ONLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,482 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

well if he has negotiated his release from his current club it's certainly a no brainer to make him a decent offer.

Very good centre back

COYR!

#34 OFFLINE   Donmacca

Donmacca

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:21 PM

Folk make out that 34 is an age we should be sending folk to retirement homes!

John Terry is 36.... Buffon is 39!!

There's no doubt in my mind that Arnason (whom I was a massive fan when he was here) has it in him to play an entire season and is light years ahead of the quality of Taylor or Reynolds.

Get him signed!

Samuel Eto'o was in his early 30's for a couple of decades. Still knew where the back of the net was

#35 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 24,406 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Getting on a bit but definitely has more expiernce since he left us. Not a long term solution though.

We don't need a long term solution in the short term.

No matter what/who we sign in defence. We will be stronger there than last season.

Ding Dong

#36 OFFLINE   Dandyesque

Dandyesque

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,666 posts
  • Joined 05-February 11

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

Oooooft

It looks bad in retrospect but Rae did have a good first few months here

And Arnason wasnt worth £5k a week

19 years, 120 minutes then fucking penalties!

#37 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 24,406 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:35 PM

It looks bad in retrospect but Rae did have a good first few months here
And Arnason wasnt worth £5k a week

He'd certainly have been worth it the last couple of seasons & id say he's still worth it now.

Very good solid & reliable player. No doubt about it.

As he was when he was with us too. Some are just bitter about him leaving for more money still.

Most fans would have been very happy for him to stay

Ding Dong

#38 ONLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,482 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

Would happily offer him a two year deal

COYR!

#39 OFFLINE   SupportmeansSUPPORT

SupportmeansSUPPORT

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:10 AM

he would certainly be a lot better with his distribution from the back and is very capable defender. But I do have a slight concern that he wasn't exactly the quickest the last time he was here and now away to turn 35 in 3 months time he is likely to be slower than that now.

The lack of pace isn't an issue when playing for Iceland as they defend very deep and in numbers, so they soak up pressure and counter attack. But for the majority of games in Scotland the emphasis will be on us to attack and teams will be looking to counter attack us so im not sure he is going to be suited to that type of game. Maybe if we are planning to change to 3 at the back, that would suit him better and he could have others beside to do the running and he stays central to sweep things up and start off our attacks with his passing from the back.

Edited by SupportmeansSUPPORT, 05 July 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   Donnet

Donnet

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Joined 01-June 17

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

From the EE

Kari Arnason could be set for a shock return to Aberdeen.

The Icelandic international spent a season with the Dons in 2011/12 and could now be on his way back to Pittodrie.

Arnason, 34, is a free agent after leaving Cypriot side AC Omonia.

His representatives revealed the defender, who can also play in midfield, is trying to find a new club and would like a move back to Aberdeen.

They said: “Kari is a free agent and he is looking to set up a new club for himself.

“He really enjoyed his time at Aberdeen and he would like to go back.

“It’s not certain the move will happen but Kari would like to go back. He’s looking for somewhere to finish his career.”

Dons manager Derek McInnes has not spoken about the reports because he has a policy of not commenting on transfer speculation until any deal has been done.

But Arnason did say to the Evening Express in June 2016 he would like to finish his career with Aberdeen.

After being asked if he was open to returning to Pittodrie, he said: “Definitely. You have to do that with Aberdeen.

“Everything the club stands for, the fans and the people, were great,” he said. “I loved it there.”

#41 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,510 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

he would certainly be a lot better with his distribution from the back and is very capable defender. But I do have a slight concern that he wasn't exactly the quickest the last time he was here and now away to turn 35 in 3 months time he is likely to be slower than that now.

The lack of pace isn't an issue when playing for Iceland as they defend very deep and in numbers, so they soak up pressure and counter attack. But for the majority of games in Scotland the emphasis will be on us to attack and teams will be looking to counter attack us so im not sure he is going to be suited to that type of game. Maybe if we are planning to change to 3 at the back, that would suit him better and he could have others beside to do the running and he stays central to sweep things up and start off our attacks with his passing from the back.

Ando wasn't exactly rapid either, but he was able to read the game and make better decisions.  It's no coincidence that Reynolds' form nose-dived after Ando retired either.  I think an Arnason/Reynolds pairing could be great.

Edited by BWG, 05 July 2017 - 09:54 AM.

#42 ONLINE   ebbe

ebbe

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,088 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Fit BWG said, would be an excellent addition at centre back and we might see Reynolds getting back to something like a player.

#43 OFFLINE   Red_Rocket_1983

Red_Rocket_1983

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Joined 06-June 15

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

“It’s not certain the move will happen but Kari would like to go back. He’s looking for somewhere to finish his career.”

That bit worries me. He was only here for a season and has no real links to Aberdeen. Anderson did have. I hope he does well if he joins though and will give him 100% backing as I do every Dons player.

#44 OFFLINE   GDON21

GDON21

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Joined 27-September 16

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Genuinely think Arnason would be a great signing. I'd say he's an out n out centre back these days as opposed to him fancying himself as midfielder when he was last with us. Him and O'Connor provide cover for centre mid if required.

#45 OFFLINE   SupportmeansSUPPORT

SupportmeansSUPPORT

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Joined 09-August 08

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Ando wasn't exactly rapid either, but he was able to read the game and make better decisions.  It's no coincidence that Reynolds' form nose-dived after Ando retired either.  I think an Arnason/Reynolds pairing could be great.

Yes, agree that was the case with Russell and hope that would be the case if Kari came back. As I say, I just have a slight concern since I havnt seen him play for a while so not able to judge how getting older has affected his game. Some are able to use their reading of the game and decision making to good effect in the latter part of there careers but some don't and make a rapid decline.

The fact that he missed a number of games due to injury when in Cyprus and they conceded a lot of goals in the 8 games he played in Cyprus worries me a little but only because I havnt seen any of their games. I don't know if the rest of his team were poor and wasn't able to judge how good he still is. The recruitment team at Pittodrie will have been able to do so though so I am happy to put my trust in them.

I just want him to be judged on how good a player he still is rather than how good a player he was in the past. If he is still as capable as he was a few years ago I will be delighted to see him back.

Edited by SupportmeansSUPPORT, 05 July 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   Eastcoastdon

Eastcoastdon

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 03-January 12

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Still remember the bounce at tannadice with that screamer

#47 OFFLINE   StrathspeyDon94

StrathspeyDon94

S-Form

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 08-May 17

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

He's now liking a lot of tweets about him coming back.. oh god I hope it happens

#48 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • 24,406 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Tbf, it's not like it was 30 years ago lol.

Ding Dong

#49 OFFLINE   GDON21

GDON21

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Joined 27-September 16

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

Yes, agree that was the case with Russell and hope that would be the case if Kari came back. As I say, I just have a slight concern since I havnt seen him play for a while so not able to judge how getting older has affected his game. Some are able to use their reading of the game and decision making to good effect in the latter part of there careers but some don't and make a rapid decline.

The fact that he missed a number of games due to injury when in Cyprus and they conceded a lot of goals in the 8 games he played in Cyprus worries me a little but only because I havnt seen any of their games. I don't know if the rest of his team were poor and wasn't able to judge how good he still is. The recruitment team at Pittodrie will have been able to do so though so I am happy to put my trust in them.

I just want him to be judged on how good a player he still is rather than how good a player he was in the past. If he is still as capable as he was a few years ago I will be delighted to see him back.

He played for Iceland most recently in a 1-0 win over Croatia. He won the league in Sweden in 2016 with Malmo in which he captained towards the end of the season. He apparently made a decision to leave because he didn't like the way the Swedish league runs from March/April to November and wanted to move league to keep him in the international set up. He has played every game he could of possibly been selected for since the end of march this year and doesn't have a history of any serious lengthy lay offs. He also only signed a contract to the end of the season with Omonia with a view to finding a club to finish his career at this summer. It sounds like he wants to come back to Aberdeen so its a case now if we want him and can offer him what he's looking for. I'd say a one year contract with an option of a 2nd year if he plays so many games.

#50 ONLINE   ebbe

ebbe

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,088 posts
  • Joined 03-June 11

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

Class but The mellee at ibrox was better.

#51 OFFLINE   dazzy_deff

dazzy_deff

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,989 posts
  • Joined 04-April 07

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

Class but The mellee at ibrox was better.

Unbelievable scenes. Think Im still recovering.

COYR

#52 OFFLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,552 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

That's it exactly.  If we have a young Ando with fresh legs and knees that work by all means bring him in immediately.  If we have something similar that we can buy (Lyndsay?) then do that.  If neither of the above are available as they clearly aren't then we either have to go for run of the mill SPFL level safety first pish (Taylor, Devlin et al) or we go for something a wee bit different with proven experience, proven ball distribution skills but admittedly questionable legs. Again, I don't see a middle of the road SPFL stopper coming so lets go with the last option if its available to us.  

#53 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,983 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:54 PM

That's it exactly.  If we have a young Ando with fresh legs and knees that work by all means bring him in immediately.  If we have something similar that we can buy (Lyndsay?) then do that.  If neither of the above are available as they clearly aren't then we either have to go for run of the mill SPFL level safety first pish (Taylor, Devlin et al) or we go for something a wee bit different with proven experience, proven ball distribution skills but admittedly questionable legs. Again, I don't see a middle of the road SPFL stopper coming so lets go with the last option if its available to us.  

Nice summary of the situation.

If we have the wage room, could bring in both the experienced class with questionable legs AND a young up and comer with the energy to compensate. Not sure we have that in the youth set up at the moment - but maybe there is a little gem out there in the lower SPFL leagues that just needs some guidance to develop.

#54 OFFLINE   GDON21

GDON21

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Joined 27-September 16

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

What is it with any player over 30 is suddenly being categorised as unfit and injury prone. Arnason is still playing at the top level in international football with no signs at all that his legs have gone. He's keeping players out the team that play with the likes of Brondby, Rostov, Brann, yes no world beating teams but still decent sides and good young players he's keeping out.

Its fine being sceptical but just because a player is over the age of 30 doesn't mean we should look on the signing as a negative one. I'd much rather have Arnason this season on a free than pay money for Lindsay who in all honesty don't think will cut it down south and no doubt end up back here in a year or two.

#55 OFFLINE   V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,983 posts
  • Joined 30-June 11

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

What is it with any player over 30 is suddenly being categorised as unfit and injury prone. Arnason is still playing at the top level in international football with no signs at all that his legs have gone. He's keeping players out the team that play with the likes of Brondby, Rostov, Brann, yes no world beating teams but still decent sides and good young players he's keeping out.

Its fine being sceptical but just because a player is over the age of 30 doesn't mean we should look on the signing as a negative one. I'd much rather have Arnason this season on a free than pay money for Lindsay who in all honesty don't think will cut it down south and no doubt end up back here in a year or two.

Yep.

While he's at it maybe he can recommend some upcoming Icelandic players for us too.

#56 OFFLINE   dj_bollocks

dj_bollocks

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,674 posts
  • Joined 28-January 06

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

34 for a defender is fine (usually) but 34 for a winger or a striker is usually a bit past their prime... 34 for a goalie usually is still in their prime... 

#57 OFFLINE   Old manny

Old manny

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Joined 05-July 17

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

34 for a defender is fine (usually) but 34 for a winger or a striker is usually a bit past their prime... 34 for a goalie usually is still in their prime... 

Here goes! Weir made a decent fist of it for the Huns until he was 40. If Arnason wants to come and he is fit we should sign him in a heartbeat. He would organise the defence, his distribution would be first class and Reynolds could do his running for him.

HUMBUG

#58 OFFLINE   Edinburgh_sheep

Edinburgh_sheep

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Joined 14-April 08

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Normally agree but we have signed players in the past 34+ who have done a job for us (Brewster for example). Arnason would be a great signing IMO and a massive improvement on Gash Taylor

#59 ONLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,482 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

this story has jumped the gun a bit

he has a year on his contract left and is hoping to negotiate his release

so we can rule out this one for this week anyway

COYR!

#60 OFFLINE   Redstar

Redstar

Legend

• Members
  • 10,535 posts
  • Joined 18-January 11

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:17 AM

this story has jumped the gun a bit

he has a year on his contract left and is hoping to negotiate his release

so we can rule out this one for this week anyway

Fu*k that...it's Cyprus ffs...pay them a nominal £100k to get this moving...it's not like we're short of transfer funds.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users