Jim Goodwin

18 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

In fairness, Goodwin looks like he will develop into a decent manager. If McInnes were to leave I'd want either Steve Robinson or Jack Ross. 

A number of players claim Steve Robinson is the best manager they've ever worked with. He also (like Ross) has an eye for a player.

Doubtful that Ross would dump Hibs for us though, yeah? Not sure Robinson would jump ship either

19 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Doubtful that Ross would dump Hibs for us though, yeah? Not sure Robinson would jump ship either

It would be a sidestep for Ross if he were to join us.

I think Robinson could potentially be persuaded but I'd agree its doubtful. His next move will either be a decent sized club in England or the NI job.

Goodwin seems to be doing a decent job with St Mirren. But the limit of their ambition is to avoid relegation. And maybe try to fluke a cup given a (bizarrely) easy draw. Would I want him as a replacement for DM though? No thanks. Needs to prove himself at a bit higher level, actually replacing Robinson at 'Well when some team inevitably poaches him  (hopefully us) and keeping them top 6 would be a good start.

As for Ross....as it stands it would be a sidewards move for him coming to Aberdeen. Hopefully when all this covid shite blows over and the new stadium conundrum is finally sorted one way or another...…..Cormack will give DM's replacement a budget that comfortably blows the Edinburgh sides and the DABS out of the water and makes us undisputedly the 3rd biggest and best financed club in Scotland. Or am I suffering a severe case of wishful thinking??

Jack Ross? Hibs have got off to a decent start points wise but from having watched their recent games v Utd and Motherwell, they are a long ball team with zero pace (other than Boyle)

He’s has two windows to mould his own team yet has resorted to route 1 

If we can’t beat Hibs this season then something is far wrong (or worse than we already think it is)

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

As I was saying......

Probably too early to make a decision on Goodwin.

He's recently out maneuvered McInnes over 180 minutes and has just given Stevie G a bloody nose...Is he a good manager, or just enjoying a purple patch?  Worth keeping an eye on...

Having said that - victories in two more ties against Livi and probably Hibs, and he's won the same amount as 'the saviour' Derek McInnes... in a fraction of the time, with a fraction of the budget.

St Mirren with a full squad to choose from are comfortably better than Livi, Hamilton and Coonty. On a par with St J, Killie and Motherwell. They got off to a horrendous start having suffered badly with Covid and injuries. They'll be mid-table by season's end.

Is Goodwin a possible McInnes replacement? Possibly, especially if he wins the League Cup. But if he does that, EFL1 clubs will instantly start sniffing around. Who would pay him at least double, maybe even treble, what he's on now. So he might be otherwise engaged by the time our vacancy arises.

What cannot be forgotten is that he is as big a rabid Tim (it's forgotten that he actually played for them at the start of his career) as McInnes is a hun. 

A St Mirren supporter (Neil)  has just been on the Clyde1 phone in. Started fairly sensibly......saying how proud he was of his team last night. However the comedy soon started. Said that he can envisage Slippy G getting bulleted from sevco if he fails to win a trophy this season.....again a not unreasonable summation. But followed it up by saying that if it happens, he can see sevco appointing Goodwin as his replacement. Gordon Dalziel tried to bring some sanity to the situation by saying that there's no evidence that sevco are going to collapse but that even if they did, and Gerrard got punted, Goodwin would not be his successor. For obvious reasons he didn't elaborate any further but it was quite obvious young Neil hasn't made any enquiries as to which school Mr Goodwin attended.

But not content with this....and I promise you he was deadly serious....his next statement had the studio in (hilarious) uproar. Apparently Goodwin has St Mirren playing such good football that Neil thinks that Ibrox might well be beneath his talents anyway. And could well end up managing in La Liga or Serie A. Took about 2 minutes for the panel to stop pissing themselves. If it was April 1st I'd have said yeah nice try...but I swear this mong was absolutely serious.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Goodwin is definitely a good manager, but I don't see him leaving any time soon. He didn't get the players he wanted and has had to make do, and after a difficult start, I think we'll finish tenth this season. We're a side that're difficult to beat, but we're not scoring enough - though in fairness to Jim we've had two (arguably three) goals erroneously disallowed so far. 

Our club's going through a bit of a shambolic spell at the minute. Fan ownership is all well and good, and I donate to SMISA, but the club needs to be managed better. Having said that, we're in the midst of a global pandemic and SMISA literally took over the club six weeks ago.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:41 PM, GlesgaSaint said:

Goodwin is definitely a good manager, but I don't see him leaving any time soon. He didn't get the players he wanted and has had to make do, and after a difficult start, I think we'll finish tenth this season. We're a side that're difficult to beat, but we're not scoring enough - though in fairness to Jim we've had two (arguably three) goals erroneously disallowed so far. 

Our club's going through a bit of a shambolic spell at the minute. Fan ownership is all well and good, and I donate to SMISA, but the club needs to be managed better. Having said that, we're in the midst of a global pandemic and SMISA literally took over the club six weeks ago.

Tony Fitzpatrick still saying you should be top 4?

He's got tremendous hair. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...