Gothenburg - Was Anyone From Here There?

With the 30th anniversary coming up next month, and the fact it's a game that actually isn't discussed on here that much anymore, what better time to look back on the most wonderful event that our Club has ever been involved in.

Unfortunately, a few years before my time.

Was anyone from the Hat at the game?

If not, where did you watch it and what are your memories/stories from 11-5-1983?

Lets get nostalgic! :trophy:

0,,10284~3083444,00.jpg

• Site Sponsor

With the 30th anniversary coming up next month, and the fact it's a game that actually isn't discussed on here that much anymore, what better time to look back on the most wonderful event that our Club has ever been involved in.

Unfortunately, a few years before my time.

Was anyone from the Hat at the game?

If not, where did you watch it and what are your memories/stories from 11-5-1983?

Lets get nostalgic! :trophy:

0,,10284~3083444,00.jpg

I was there. I was also at the Bayern away leg.

Magical time was had by all. You youngsters won't understand how you felt being a Don back then. We were the best and we knew it, but not in an arrogant Bigot Brother way, but a quiet North Eastern superior over the weegies way.

I think a pint in the Hawthorn Bar in those days was about 32p. When we got across there and £3 a pint, jeezo what an expensive hangover that was.

Stayed at the Windsor Hotel and on the day of the game Tommy and his missus arrived having travelled over by bus. A good old sesh in our hotel but the waitress was unimpressed as we got wellied into Tommy's Carry out. So pished we almost forgot about kick off time and made it just in time.

Ruined a pair of shoes in the fountain after the game but who cared.

Tattie Cooper came into the disco in the Europa Hotel and was carried along shoulder high for about ten minutes and the DJ under the threat of death played only the European Song all night.

Bumped into Billy McNeil after the game and he left to the tune of "We're going to Hampden, we're going to Hampden you're not" - Bairny bastards but we didnae care.

Met the future wife the following month and the Dons slowly became shite. I've always blamed her.

Technically I was half there.

Flawed. If your father was there, he is a different person from you therefore his attendance bore no relation to the question to whether you were or not. Same for your mother.

If you mother was there when pregnant with you, then you were there. You just hadn't been born yet.

Ahh, I see what you mean. You emerged during the game? Specifically, you were half out at full time?

Nope. All out at half time.

Nae really. My da was there. Good guess! :sherlock:

Yep. My old man took me and my older brother. I was 7 going on 8.

I vividly remember dons fans in the swimming pool late at night fully clothed after the match and wishing I was 17 going on 18 and not 7 going on 8.

My younger brother was too young to go and missed out. Sickener for him was my old man had already booked flights for all four of us for the following year just after we got beat 1-0 away to Porto.

I also remember getting a Dons rosette from a stewardess at Aberdeen airport on the way there and getting into the cockpit on the way home.

Magical days. Only a youngster and god knows how good it must have been to be an 18-30 year old that night.

I was there (did not get on the ferry though it was full) by plane

cant remember much (hotel bars etc) only remember game, fountain and rain and some dons fan who waved a large flag the whole game in the middle of no mans land

just remembered using sheets from hotel to make banners but cant remember hotel (going to ask some of the guys who went in our party where we stayed etc)

• Site Sponsor

Yep. My old man took me and my older brother. I was 7 going on 8.

I vividly remember dons fans in the swimming pool late at night fully clothed after the match and wishing I was 17 going on 18 and not 7 going on 8.

My younger brother was too young to go and missed out. Sickener for him was my old man had already booked flights for all four of us for the following year just after we got beat 1-0 away to Porto.

I also remember getting a Dons rosette from a stewardess at Aberdeen airport on the way there and getting into the cockpit on the way home.

Magical days. Only a youngster and god knows how good it must have been to be an 18-30 year old that night.

It was magic

I was 14 and my folks were not rich enough to take me, remember watching it at home, was not surprised at all we won, we had some team back then.

Went to all the home legs that year, the Bayern game still the best ever atmosphere i've ever seen at Pittodrie, when we came back and got the winner the place went fucking mental, ended up about ten rows down from where I was sitting.

The homecoming was something special, some great videos on youtube showing it.

Would have given a limb to be over there though.