Gothenburg - Was Anyone From Here There?

A bit of melancholy (I know it's not the right word-anyone help me out?) about the game for me. Me and the old man got up about 5 in the morning (I was still at school) to 'watch' the game on TV but the reception was pretty shite at that time. Had been in Oz for 2 years and probably the first time I really (truly) missed Scotland. Me and the old man realised how great it was but he couldn't go into work and celebrate the win no more than i could at school. Nobody here gave a fuck.

Relatives sent over papers, videos etc etc but it all felt a bit empty at the time. Doesn't bother me now but if I'd been in Scotland at the time I would have done anything to have been at the game. For those of you who were in Gothenburg, you are lucky, lucky bastards and fucking good on ya. Ain't gonna happen again!

i was lucky enough to go, was living in north germany so getting over was pretty easy. the atmosphere in the town was electric, beer was dear but didnt stop loads of folk getting hammered especially after the game. i didnt get to many of the big games in aberdeen or cup finals at the time so this was extra special

my daughter was born 12 days later in germany so a month ill never forget

I was lucky enough to have been part of the "Crazy Navy" on the St. Clair.

5 days of absolute mayhem but without doubt the best trip ever.

The return journey was brilliant (from what I can mind) and then meeting Fergie when we got back to Aberdeen just topped it off.

I knew at the time it would probably be a once in a lifetime experience but never imagined some of the low points we were to witness in the next 30 years.

I'd been to every domestic away game that season and was royally skint plus the fact I'd no long started a new job so I couldnt go

Watched the game in The Copper Beech where they installed a new fangled big screen telly.........what a night.......canna remember how I managed to walk hame fae Garthdee to Kincorth but it was via the toon!!

• Site Sponsor

Sounds like an absolutely astonishing night. I would have loved to have been old enough to appreciate it. I wasn't old enough to walk, let alone stagger from a pub!

A once in a lifetime opportunity, never to be repeated. Hundreds of clubs, big and small never achieved what those guys did.

It's not a millstone around anyone's neck, simply a great achievement which should never be forgotten.

Package we were on flew from Dyce and accommodation was on board a ferry.

A party ensued in oor cabin where everyone brought their Blue label vodka and Carslberg special carry oot purchased at Aberdeen duty free.

What was the duty free shoppie thinkin o'?

I had such a hangover the day after the game that when we got home I went hame to my bed and missed the parade doon Union Street.

I think that parade was one of the most joyous occasions ever in Aberdeen.

The wife and kids were there and I was in bed.

Having watched the recordings of it many times, I always wondered if anyone in Aberdeen watched the delayed movie on STV that night The Domino Principle.

My dad took me to the semi final game against Waterschi, beat them 5-1 and we just seemed to be unbeatable.

Watched the final on the TV with my dad, very nervous during the match and at one time Real Madrid seemed to have scored late on, but the ball went rolling by the post.

Don't think we would have won, if it wasn't for all the rain at the time of the match, but amazing time to be a Dons fan.

The next day we went on a trip to the Bucksburn Police station with the Primary school, and amazed at all the cars beeping their horns at us on the way back on the bus to Skene Square school, thinking we had just come back from Gothenburg.

A few days later we beat Rangers in the Scottish cup by a single goal, with Alex Ferguson going mental on the TV afterwards, about how bad our performance was during the game.

Good Days

I think the neutral Swedes (and the Real Madrid fans) thought we were going to get thrashed until they realised how good we were. Stayed in a place called Boras which was well outside Gothenburg. It was a terrific time,got off the plane in time to get into town and see the parade down Union Street, never seen the place like it and probably never will again.If you're going to beat a team in a European final, it just has to be Real Madrid, that and the Bayern Munich match, it was like something out of "Roy of the Rovers". Happy Days!!!!

• Site Sponsor

My dad took me to the semi final game against Waterschi, beat them 5-1 and we just seemed to be unbeatable.

Watched the final on the TV with my dad, very nervous during the match and at one time Real Madrid seemed to have scored late on, but the ball went rolling by the post.

Don't think we would have won, if it wasn't for all the rain at the time of the match, but amazing time to be a Dons fan.

The next day we went on a trip to the Bucksburn Police station with the Primary school, and amazed at all the cars beeping their horns at us on the way back on the bus to Skene Square school, thinking we had just come back from Gothenburg.

A few days later we beat Rangers in the Scottish cup by a single goal, with Alex Ferguson going mental on the TV afterwards, about how bad our performance was during the game.

Good Days

If we'd played them on the moon we would have won.

Good Days

Nae a good idea, there would be nae atmosphere.

Good Days

That's pie in the sky.

• Site Sponsor

Good Days

Nae a good idea, there would be nae atmosphere.

Ye mean a bit like Parkhead?

Bastard year to have exams so old man didn't let me go (these were the days fan a 16yo did fit he was telt!). In fairness what I can only assume as a sympathy vote he didn't go either plus money was obviously an issue. He tried to go to the semi (might have been QF?) as I recall but couldn't get a ticket. Went to the Sion game on my birthday.

He told me years later that he had made provisional bookings for 84 (money was still tight but fuck it) if we got through the semis. Arse! Went some way to making up for disappointment by surprising me with cup final tickets for Celtic. GIRFUY T!Ms. Roy Aitken, whatever happened to him eh!