Scott Mckenna

When our players are 'hot' we need to sell the fuckers for the most we can get. This 'building a team' horseshit might have some credence if we went out and strengthened the team on the back of an offer for one of our better player, but usually we go through a transfer window by signing no-one/shirt fillers.

Weren't we offered cash for guys like Maguire (A million, if I recall correctly) and... it might have been a pound fifty for Diamond...? ...but we should have grabbed that 1,000,001.50 and ran to the fucking bank with it.

We develop players to a certain level and then they begin to stagnate. Any potential market value rapidly declines, and instead of getting a sack of cash for Chris and Zander we got... well... we got pretty much what they were worth, in the end.

Sell them when they're at peak mediocrity. Take the cash and use it to, fuck, I don't know... fund a new stadium or some silly shit like that.

If we can get a stupid offer for McKenna we should take the money and run.

• 1 month later...

A decent article on McKenna in the EE.

I ken it's only words, but I like the determination the lad has to succeed.

He's still raw and needs a guiding hand I feel but he's going to go from strength to strength.

The remarkable breakthrough season of Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna is set to continue with another Scotland appearance during the trip to South America.

Centre-back McKenna will earn a third cap against either Peru or Mexico as a season where he came from nowhere to be the Dons’ Player of the Year and an international finally draws to a close.

McKenna is confident his time with the Scotland squad and working with manager Alex McLeish, an Aberdeen legend, will ensure he returns to Pittodrie for pre-season training an even better player.

McKenna said: “It is all about learning and trying to take as much away from my time with Scotland as I can.

“These trips are a great learning curve.

“You have a lot of experienced professionals around you and you can learn so much from them. I can also learn a lot from the manager.

“Playing for Alex McLeish is special as an Aberdeen player because he is a legend at the club and he played in central defence too.

“I enjoyed working with him. In between drills, he’ll come over and make a point or say wee things that can help out.

“Hopefully that and being with Scotland will improve my performances at Aberdeen.”

McKenna’s meteoric rise has not gone unnoticed and Aberdeen rejected four bids from Hull City for the defender in the January transfer window with the final offer in excess of £1 million.

Interest from other clubs will inevitably continue.

McKenna said: “There was interest in me in January but it was never something I really considered.

“The manager said at the time, and has repeated since, that he wants me to play another 100 to 150 games and experience European football.

“I might not experience that again if I go down south unless you are playing for a top team.

“You also have a higher chance to get to cup finals and win silverware.”

The stellar trajectory of his career has been so rapid there has been no time for McKenna to take a breath and contemplate his breakthrough.

This time last year he was unsure if he would even have a Dons future as a loan spell at Ayr United had ended.

The 21-year-old struggled to get game time with Ayr who were relegated to League One.

His breakthrough came in September when he was pitched in from the start at Motherwell just days after a crushing 3-0 League Cup quarter-final defeat to the Steelmen at Fir Park. McKenna impressed and Aberdeen triumphed 1-0.

He retained his starting slot and hasn’t looked back, twice signing contract extensions, the latest until 2023.

McKenna not only earned a debut cap in March he was pitched in from the start. He was one of the few positives from the 1-0 loss to Costa Rica and retained his starting slot for the 1-0 win in Hungary.

With skipper Graeme Shinnie suspended he captained the Dons in the Scottish Cup semi-final. That 3-0 loss is the only blot on an outstanding season where he won Aberdeen’s Player of the Year, Young Player of the Year and Goal of the season.

He said: “I wanted to keep going until the season finished then I will finally have time to sit down and look at what has happened.

“The season just seemed to keep getting better and better for me. My ambitions at the start of the season were just to try to get into the team and get between five and 10 games under my belt.

“It is quite surreal what has happened.”

McKenna is now one of the first names on Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes’ team-sheet.

However there will be no complacency from the stopper.

He said: “As a young player, the most important thing is to keep your feet on the ground.

“I cannot relax, I need to keep working hard so I can kick on. I still have a lot to learn in the game and want to keep improving.

“Ideally I can keep improving and my game will get better and better.”

McKenna’s refusal to relax or take anything for granted is partly fuelled by his insight into the life of a part-time footballer while on loan at Ayr.

He said: “Being at Ayr was a really important experience for me in all kinds of ways.

“During my second spell at Ayr, I struggled a bit and was rightly dropped. I probably learned more from handling that than anything, as some games I was not even on the bench. It made me more determined to work harder.

“I’ve become probably my biggest critic. I watch all my games back to see what I can do better. I am always learning. Losing my place was a reminder of how important it is that, once you get in the team, you don’t let that place go. “That’s been my attitude this season and for the most part it has succeeded.

“As well as that, the players at Ayr were part-time. Boys were out grafting all day and then had to come in and train at night – that was a real eye opener.

“Some were travelling an hour and a half to get to Ayr at night and then not getting home until midnight.

“Then they were up at six the next morning for work.

“That’s dedication and it helped me appreciate the advantages you get with being full-time.”

McKenna is determined to maximise his time overseas.

He said: “The key thing is for me to stay in the Scotland manager’s thoughts.

“When I made the step up to international level, I felt I did okay.

“Just joining the squad and maybe getting some game time was my original aim.

“But after I got a chance from the start, I wanted to stay there and to be selected for the Hungary game too was great.”