Glasgow Helicopter Crash

K-9

I don't think things automatically catch fire or explode when they crash except for in the movies.

Said explosion is usually accompanied by a shot of the main character walking away from said explosion in slow motion.

This being the real world, I don't see how it's unusual for something to not explode when it crashes.

What were the cops up to anyway... have they said?

I don't think a day goes by where the helicopter assets aren't in the sky.

Not only the lack of fire, but also jet fuel has a very strong smell that is distinctive. Very often at crash sites you hear of " the distinctive smell of fuel". Mentioned in many reports for crashes but not this one.

I just find the lack of mention of jet fuel smell in the middle of Glasgow and the lack of fuel interesting

Also pics of the blades (usually Carbon fibre) are in remarkably good condition with6ft sections being removed with little if any damage.

Is there not the possibility of anticipating a crash and maybe doing a fuel dump?

Or perhaps the "controlled" landing was enough to keep fuel supply intact?

I don't get the uproar over the "people of Glasgow" thing - it would be the same if it was anywhere else.

I don't think the police should be allowed to use helicopters.

They were out in a chopper over Parkhead just last week at the Dons game. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same one. Thought at the time 'What the fuck do they have a chopper out for?'. Justifying their budget perhaps.

I'm sorry for any offence caused lads, been having a shit time recently. Didn't mean to piss anyone off.

The fuel lines were cut by the pilot before impact.

A fireball would have killed many more people.

A very brave man. What must go through your mind in a situation like that

It's bound to be the same helicopter - Police Scotland only have one helicopter which, while based in Glasgow, covers the whole country.

They were airbourne looking for people who were reportedly running about on the railway tracks

I reckon I had that chopper over my house last week as I witnessed it help the guys on the ground lift the lad they had chased down from Aviemore.

Why he chose to head towards my house is discorcerting though

IF the pilot tried to land on the roof, it was extrameley selfish of him

i was getting out a taxi on stockwell street at 1029 on Friday night, after the taxi driver went a different way to the one he was gonna...right past the clutha!!!

scary stuff, could easy be involved

It's been quite a few months for you Millertime.

Beating cancer and now surviving a helicopter crash.

Glad you made it through both scares.

In my opinion, Council leader Gordon Matherson is over-egging the Labour Councils role in all of this. He is using it as a platform for bigging up his organsiation and trying to make labour look good.

The only discussion should be about the victims and the crash investigation, yet the bulk of his quotes are him ejaculating over the efforts of his own organisation.

I am mildly surprised Matheson managed to tear himself away from sucking guys dicks in public*, to become involved in this matter at all.

(*about a year ago, he was caught by the Police in a public place, mouth firmly clamped around the erect penis of a man who was not his civil partner. The Police and media covered it up for several months, then broke a low-key story quietly after Christmas and New Year).

Guest milne_afc

In my opinion, Council leader Gordon Matherson is over-egging the Labour Councils role in all of this. He is using it as a platform for bigging up his organsiation and trying to make labour look good.

The only discussion should be about the victims and the crash investigation, yet the bulk of his quotes are him ejaculating over the efforts of his own organisation.

I am mildly surprised Matheson managed to tear himself away from sucking guys dicks in public*, to become involved in this matter at all.

(*about a year ago, he was caught by the Police in a public place, mouth firmly clamped around the erect penis of a man who was not his civil partner. The Police and media covered it up for several months, then broke a low-key story quietly after Christmas and New Year).

That cunt was in a TV studio on Saturday afternoon talking shite about the "Glasgow brand".

Terrible shame for those affected right enough, but there's nae half some over egged pudding doing the rounds.

I don't really get how there seems to have been a siege mentality adopted by a lot of folk, as I'm not quite sure where it is aimed at. Understandable in cases caused by terrorists or criminals, but in the circumstance of an accident, I don't really understand who they are trying to show resilience against. Helicopters?

That said, in this day and age, I could just about imagine the same happening anywhere, on platforms like facebook etc.

This is probably for another thread, but what is it with morons on Facebook. I see so many folk liking nonsense on there the most recent being "RIP to the guy in the car with Paul Walker who isn't being recognised because he isn't famous." Seriously, what the fuck?

As I said already serious questions need to be asked of the police.

They've successfully avoided these so far.

I'm no fan of the police, in fact I'd go as far as to say I hate them.

I've been following the story a bit, and I've yet to hear the cops say what the helicopter was doing...

So far the only thing I've heard regarding their activities was

@KirstyYarr I think the helicopter that was buzzing around over our flat crashed into the Clutha.

So presumably they weren't following a nicked car, or chasing some lad who was legging it with a sackful of nicked gear.

I've my own suspicions as to what they were up to, and it's odd that the press isn't asking any questions about what they were doing.

As I said already serious questions need to be asked of the police.

They've successfully avoided these so far.

I'm no fan of the police, in fact I'd go as far as to say I hate them.

Not really.

The Police neither fly or maintain the Helicopter.

They are entirely innocent in this situation.

If anything they should be praised for managing to remain composed considering the circumstances.

Not really.

The Police neither fly or maintain the Helicopter.

They are entirely innocent in this situation.

If anything they should be praised for managing to remain composed considering the circumstances.

Well, it seems a little premature to say the police are innocent in the matter until we find out what they were doing.

Do we know what they were doing?

There was a story about them searching for people on a railway line.

When it was up here it was used in hunt for car thieves.

What do you suspect Kelt?

I suspect they were using it to spy on people, much like CCTV, only with much more advanced capabilities and with no judicial oversight.

The cops in London have been doing exactly this, and I imagine they're doing it in all major cities.

This would be a massive violation of our civil liberties, and IF this is what they were doing (as I suspect) then my own opinion would be 'fuck them'.

Of course I'm interested to hear what they have to say regarding their flights over residential areas before forming more of an opinion other than my current deep suspicion of police activities.

Policing.

Legal policing or illegal 'policing'?

You should probably be made aware that the police have a framework of laws within which they're supposed to operate.

They don't always choose to operate within that framework, and if you give them the capability to perform.. let's call it 'extra-judicial activity' then they don't have a particularly sterling record of always remaining within the boundaries of what they're legally allowed to do.

In other words, if you trust the cops to operate within the law simply on the basis of them being cops then you're being extraordinarily naive.

So, for example, give the cops a helicopter loaded with surveillance equipment, and do you think they can be trusted to only point it at bad guys?

I suspect they were using it to spy on people, much like CCTV, only with much more advanced capabilities and with no judicial oversight.

The cops in London have been doing exactly this, and I imagine they're doing it in all major cities.

This would be a massive violation of our civil liberties, and IF this is what they were doing (as I suspect) then my own opinion would be 'fuck them'.

Of course I'm interested to hear what they have to say regarding their flights over residential areas before forming more of an opinion other than my current deep suspicion of police activities.

I dare say if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Maybe they use them to track dealers, nothing wrong with that.

I don't see why they follow you when you're at a game at ibrox but they have done.

Plenty cars to do that sort if stuff.