Sam Cosgrove

Let's not forget that Rooney missed his fair share of chances in games as well. 

I was a big fan of Rooney, I doubt anyone would have anything other than praise for the guy, but he was slow and when he was isolated, he brought nothing to the team, particularly near the end of his career at Pittodrie. I believe Cosgrove brings more to the game than just goals, which you need when playing 1 up top. 

when our genius manager played him on the wing so that Stevie May got to play run about?

Rooney was a different type of striker that suited a different style of play. But anyone saying that he could only score goals poaching is speaking rubbish. He’d slowed down a bit the season he left and it wasn’t the wrong decision. You noticed in the bigger matches that it was like playing with a player less, hence moving him to the wing to try and nullify a full back and win headers, but folk think he was put out there by DM to beat players LOL (MT™️HH)

The good thing about the Cosgrove situation is that we will be selling (if the expected bids arrive in Jan) at a good time to maximise our return. His stock is quickly rising and we have him tied down long term.

Clubs down south will see someone like that as money well spent if they are struggling or wanting to push on in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't think we should sell for less than 3 million

The good thing about the Cosgrove situation is that we will be selling (if the expected bids arrive in Jan) at a good time to maximise our return. His stock is quickly rising and we have him tied down long term.

Clubs down south will see someone like that as money well spent if they are struggling or wanting to push on in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't think we should sell for less than 3 million

I don't think we should consider any sale until the summer at earliest.

But I said the same about McKenna and look how that turned out.

Players unfortunately tend to throw the dummy out of the pram if they think the move they want might be in jeopardy.

Do we really want to sell Cosgrove? His goal scoring record is phenomenal. Imagine he left in Jan and we were left with Main and Wilson for the rest of the season.....

We've got a striker who's been banging them in consistently for the reserves (Anderson). I think a decent run in the team IF Cosgrove was sold would turn him into a Goalscorer too. Otherwise he's going to end up like Shankland and go elsewhere to get game time to hit that kind of form because he'll never improve and kick on with the odd 5/10 mins a game.

As great as Cosgrove's been, we've annoyingly changed our style of play to suit him with too many long balls which has made us worse and pish to watch (one motherwell game aside).

I think it'd be better cashing in on him and getting some decent flair wingers to replace the days of McGinn and Hayes getting down the flanks.

Just out of interest, what did the 6.5 million bid for McKenna from Villa comprise of?

Was it a couple of million up front with a bunch of add ons for caps and appearances and the like? 

Was that ever revealed or just speculated upon? 

If someone offered a couple of million in cash for Cosgrove I'd bite their hand off for it. But realistically I don't see us getting anything like that. 

Just out of interest, what did the 6.5 million bid for McKenna from Villa comprise of?

Was it a couple of million up front with a bunch of add ons for caps and appearances and the like?

If someone offered a couple of million in cash for Cosgrove I'd bite their hand off for it. But realistically I don't see us getting anything like that.

I think the Villa bid was a loan, with an (optional) agreed fee.

Essentially, they wanted a try before they buy, knowing that if he was brilliant they'd get a bargain.

It was never the full £££ that people seem to think it was. There are still people chirping on about how we should have accepted the huge amount of money on offer. If we were offered that in cash, he'd be playing for them now. 

Teams down south arent daft. They know the Scottish market. Cheap, slim pickings. Cosgoals would go, at best to a lower Championship team as a squad player for no more than a million. Those teams know SPL players are dying to get down there and will sign a relatively shit deal to do so. I’ll guess Shinnie is one of the poorest paid in the Derby squad. I hope big Sam stays another season or two atleast. I think he will unless a good deal comes in. He knows hes onto a good thing with us playing and scoring every week even if thats not good enough for half the support. Clueless, miserable cunts. Must be a nightmare being a dons player.

Mind the abuse Mclean would get when he arrived. Credit to him for cracking on. Even at his best he still got stick.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Teams down south arent daft. They know the Scottish market. Cheap, slim pickings. Cosgoals would go, at best to a lower Championship team as a squad player for no more than a million.

Sorry but that's pish. A guy who is scoring close to a goal a game in a team that doesn't create many chances going for under a million?

Meanwhile someone like Morelos who is scoring at a similar ratio in a Rangers team who score 2+ per game is being touted at around £10M.

Sorry but that's pish. A guy who is scoring close to a goal a game in a team that doesn't create many chances going for under a million?

Meanwhile someone like Morelos who is scoring at a similar ratio in a Rangers team who score 2+ per game is being touted at around £10M.

Ok we’ll see how their respective careers pan out.

As great as Cosgrove's been, we've annoyingly changed our style of play to suit him with too many long balls which has made us worse and pish to watch (one motherwell game aside)

This is another thing that annoys me why teams always play high balls to their taller players all the time. I mean Duncan Ferguson was a perfect example, he was really good with the ball at his feet but for Scotland he was wasted cause they pumped up too many high balls for him, Crouch another example. Just find it irritating. Just prefer the ball being played on the deck

I think the Villa bid was a loan, with an (optional) agreed fee.

Essentially, they wanted a try before they buy, knowing that if he was brilliant they'd get a bargain.

Wrong.

It was a loan with an obligation to buy (to get around the fact the Championship transfer window had closed but loans were still allowed). Heaps of Championship clubs used this loophole.