Have read Catcher In The Rye and nae 100% sure what the fuss is about. Amazed at how short a story it is, so it would be a good sized book for non readers to appraise.

I quite like Irvine Welsh and my favourite of his is Marabou Stork Nightmares. Very witty and very clever.

Another contemporary Scottish writer who I like is Des Dillon. His books Return of the Busby Babes and Me and Ma Gal are brilliant reads.

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt.

Them - Nathan McCall

Remedy is None - William Mcilvanney

The Silver Darlings by Neil M Gunn really is a must read as is a superb book with it's roots in Scotland but ending up firmly in Canada, No Great Mischief by Alistait Macleod.

I didn't read much when I was at school, I would prefer sitting on my Playstation than reading books. Even for my RPR I ended up reading half of it, then the end and just kinda filling in the blanks myself! I left school and ended up reading things like 1984, Catcher in the Rye, Down and Out In London and Paris, Brave New World etc. I agree with others, Catcher In The Rye...didn't see the fuss. Maybe I should read it again?

I have to admit i've read all Dan Brown books. They aren't exactly thought provoking or well written, but they definitely fill the "easy to read and easy to get into" market!

Read a number of Stephen King novels, thought i'd be a big fan but they are far too long winded. He spends far too long filling the reader in on the characters background. The Shining is good read though, as was the Green Mile.

Bret Easton Ellis is one of my favourite authors, although he's far too slow in writing new books that i'm losing interest!

Only started getting into books when I started working overseas. I like Christopher Brookmyres stuff quite satyrical and pretty funny.

Also Dean Koontz for a wee bit of scary nonsense.

Have read a few of DB's and wish I hadn't not my kind of read.

And of course a classic from my younger years "the owl who was afraid of the dark" who ever wrote that book and called the main character "Plop" was a f**king genius.

• 5 weeks later...

Been reading quite a few works to do with Soviet History recently, including:

Bulgakov- The Master and Margarita

Shalamov- Kolyma Tales

Zamyatin- We

Serge- The Case of Comrade Tulayev

Scott- Behind the Urals

Hindus- Red Bread

Mochulsky- Gulag Boss: A Soviet Memoir

Bogdanov- Red Star

The Master and Margarita is epic and there is ongoing debate as to whether or not it is the best Russian novel.....ever. Big in the '60s 'Sympathy For The Devil' was the Rolling Stones response after reading.

It came to my attention recently that Russian TV serialised it in 2009 in nine parts , three of which can be found on YouTube. I could only find the three parts but these were good and I desire to see the whole series. It is well done but nothing can match the wild romp of the imagination invoked by reading the book.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61s7jRmT6M

• 4 weeks later...

The Master and Margarita is epic and there is ongoing debate as to whether or not it is the best Russian novel.....ever. Big in the '60s 'Sympathy For The Devil' was the Rolling Stones response after reading.

It came to my attention recently that Russian TV serialised it in 2009 in nine parts , three of which can be found on YouTube. I could only find the three parts but these were good and I desire to see the whole series. It is well done but nothing can match the wild romp of the imagination invoked by reading the book.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61s7jRmT6M

Not sure if you're aware of this, but the whole Master and Margarita miniseries is available on You Tube.

Here's the first episode, the button in the bottom right hand corner next to the plus sign turn on the subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxSkjGFVZpM

• 2 weeks later...

Topical:

This is a bold expose of science's mavericks. For more than a century, science has cultivated a sober public image for itself. But as bestselling author Michael Brooks explains, the truth is very different: many of our most successful scientists have more in common with libertines than librarians. This thrilling exploration of some of the greatest breakthroughs in science reveals the extreme lengths some scientists go to in order to make their theories public. Fraud, suppressing evidence and unethical or reckless PR games are sometimes necessary to bring the best and most brilliant discoveries to the world's attention. Inspiration can come from the most unorthodox of places, and Brooks introduces us to Nobel laureates who get their ideas through drugs, dreams and hallucinations. Science is a highly competitive and ruthless discipline, and only its most determined and passionate practitioners make headlines - and history. To succeed, knowledge must be pursued by any means: in science, anything goes.

Currently enjoying Skeem Life, about growing up in Fintry, Dundee in the 70s.

Like going doon memory lane :tommy:

Ghost written book clearly as the whole of Fintry and Dundee if truth be told is illiterate.

I've just finished a book about the history of glue. Couldn't put it down.

Away to start a book about the history of British Coal mines. A dark read apparently.

I was going to read Best British Bank Safes but I just couldn't get into it.