U20's Thread

Had a look back about 15 pages & couldn't find the U20's thread, just one for towards end of last season's performance.

So thought a new one for this season was required.

Anyway. Couple of young lads out on loan to Peterhead & Stranraer.

The club can this morning confirm two stars of our Under 20 side have agreed loan deals.

Defender Scott Rumsby will join Scottish League One side Stranraer FC on a 6 month deal.

Meanwhile, midfielder Stephen O'Neill has joined Peterhead on loan for a month.

Manager Derek McInnes feels both youngsters will benefit from playing first team football.

"It's a great opportunity for Scott and Stephen to get some regular games at first team level. They have both done well for our Under 20's in the last year and we feel this will be a good step up for them.

"Stephen will only join Peterhead for a month initially to get some game time experience but he will get the chance to feature in a few matches and we will then review the agreement.

"We wish them both well and I am certain they will make the most of this opportunity."

- See more at: http://www.afc.co.uk/articles/20130823/stars-of-the-aberdeen-u20-side_2212158_3430682#sthash.JNHrwLb2.dpuf
  • Downvote 1

how much did we pay for him

Lawrence Shankland will sign for Aberdeen in the coming days as compensation has been agreed with Queen's Park.

The 17-year-old striker scored 14 times last season.

Queen's had been wary of the move after Dundee United sought to exploit the club's amateur status to avoid paying a fee for Aidan Connolly and Andrew Robertson this summer but Aberdeen have proven far more amenable.

• 2 weeks later...

They can come second bottom every year for all I care if they keep producing players that make the first team.

It seems to have paid dividends lateley if you look at some of the players they've produced:

Shaughnessy, Robertson, Jack, Low, Pawlett, Smith, Murray, Fyvie, Grimmer, Fraser, and more to come?

The real problem is our incompetent board losing them for peanuts!

That is a Scottish mentality!!

All about performance and improvement at all youth levels. Doesn't happen here

If an 18 or 19 year old boy man hasn't learned how to be a winner by that age and is playing professional football then there is no hope for us.

Jesus Christ we're nae talking under 12's or 13's here FFS.

It's mannies. Aged under 20. :suicide:

If an 18 or 19 year old boy man hasn't learned how to be a winner by that age and is playing professional football then there is no hope for us.

Jesus Christ we're nae talking under 12's or 13's here FFS.

It's mannies. Aged under 20. :suicide:

So if they haven't made it when they are 18 or 19 they are finished?

Bet Paul Hartley and Barry Robson were glad you weren't their coach

Results don't matter when the kids should be learning how to pass, trap, dribble, control AND shoot with a football.

I'd say that's up to about the ages of 16 or 17.

If anyone older than that still can't pass, trap, dribble, control AND shoot... then it's reasonable to expect a club to eject that player.

There are, of course, late developers, but I don't think a club with Aberdeen's resources should be expected to keep trying to develop players who are hitting, or into, their 20s.

I'd expect a team of U20s to be past the stage of 'results don't matter', both from a mental and physical point of view.

• Upvote 1

Results don't matter when the kids should be learning how to pass, trap, dribble, control AND shoot with a football.

I'd say that's up to about the ages of 16 or 17.

If anyone older than that still can't pass, trap, dribble, control AND shoot... then it's reasonable to expect a club to eject that player.

There are, of course, late developers, but I don't think a club with Aberdeen's resources should be expected to keep trying to develop players who are hitting, or into, their 20s.

I'd expect a team of U20s to be past the stage of 'results don't matter', both from a mental and physical point of view.

Correct.

I'd prefer the teenagers to be learning and improving every week than grinding out 1-0 wins and kicking folk

If they can play well, improve and win. All the better

I'm interested to know where someone has said they'd rather the Under 20's were grinding out results and kicking folk.

I sure as shit never said anything like that.

EDIT: Jesus Christ 8.50am spelling isn't too hot.

Enough of our support seem to allow the first team off with being shite a lot of the time & make up shite excuses for them.

No reason that the U20's should get a free ride also.

Give em hell.

Not allowed to live in the past & last seasons great performances/results (you're not famous anymore)

No excuses.

If you want into the first team, then earn it.

& if you want to be a little prick like Grimmer, fuck you very much.

:)