Roughest pub in aberdeen?

ebbe1

524?? I got chased out of there years ago by 2 guys with pool cues! I bought a pint and had about one sip when I hear "He's f*ckin' old bill" I've never necked a pint so fast in my puff! When I tried to leave two guys started swinging their cues at me!

Been in since. They've got a big hole knocked in their wall for ventilation to let out the smell of weed! Usually 2 dogs the size of ponies roaming about the bar quite randomly! :applause:

I used to walk past 524 every day in my college days when I stayed in Stafford Street and was always tempted to go in but never did. However, a couple of my mates from college bit the bullet and went in for a swift pint and swift it was - they were challenged to a game of pool by 2 guys, 1 of which they said looked very under age. When they said no, the pool cues were being waved and they quickly left! :laughing:

• Upvote 1

I always rated The Broadsword and Tower in Tilly, plus the Central Bar in Woodside as Great Northern Roads toughest. But the winner would have been the one they turned into a funeral parlour opposite Sandilands - Tanfield bar?

Byron was a bit scary through in the pool room, but the lounge was fine and the Lums was no big deal.

Peep Peeps on Britains Roughest Pubs was just pathetic, makes you wonder about other cities. It's a sh*t hole, but rough as in violent??

Never been in the 524, why's it so bad as it seems to be getting the majority nod here?

I pass the 524 almost every day, it just looks like a run down dump, never seen any trouble or the like.

However, i'm sure if we all went down on mass there wudn't be any trouble, safety in numbers & all......or do you think that might piss off the locals even more "Yeah, we read on the internet this place is rough as f*ck so thought we'd come down for a nosey"

The Black Dog is probably the roughest pub I even visit, however none of the pubs in Bridge of Don could ever be described as "Rough", they're all friendly family-orientated pubs, bah!

Guest Stoney
Stoney - is there a big and ugly part time barman c'ad Bill

that works there ?

Blue Bill?

Im afraid not - was taken over by new owners last year and its now all the old royals boys that drink in there, most of the old horse lot are at the central or staging post

Guest glasgowdon
There's way rougher pubs in Glasgow than Aberdeen! Gangsters such as the Licensee and his 'associates' shooting each other is a common occurance in pubs in Royston etc.

A favourite quote on TV was "Whit's wrang wae that, it's just a lock knife".

Having frequented near every pub in Aberdeen through playing pool i can say there are not that many rough ones going about, they may have been rough 10-15 years ago but all that seems to have died out over the years - Broadsword nae much trouble in there at all. THink most of the rough pubs can now be described as just a bit of a dump nowadays. Black Dog for me on a Sat afternoon does just fine.

THink the Starry is getting a bit of a rep through younger wannabe casuals going there on Saturdaysa that seems to be the route of all problems

Never been in the 524, why's it so bad as it seems to be getting the majority nod here?

It's one of that bars where anything goes! Even the Old Soaks that sit at the bar are probably capable of tearing your head from your shoulders! They wouldn't bat an eyelid if you skinned up on the bar! There is also a lot of dealing etc by what I'm led to believe. My mates brother is a copper and he said the police know all about the shenanigans going on in the place, but their policy is if we keep them all in the same place it's easier to monitor them. Seems fair. There is always an ambulance hanging about outside for some jakey that has bounced off the pavement on the way out.

But hey, go try it with a couple of your mates, it's a hoot! It's rougher than a week in jail, but worth the experience! :applause:

Guest Stoney
What utter pap you talk... :laughing:

Massive ruck with the gypos on thursday night and apparantly they came back on sat night and it kicked off again. Police were in for most of the night :S

To be honest I've been to most of the pubs mentioned and none of them are as bad ad they seem.

i think if you go into a pub a) looking for trouble, B) look uncomfortable, c) act like a prick

then you will get hassle.

Most dodgy pubs have a reputation, but if you go in and buy a pint, sit down read the paper and don't bother no one you will be Ok.

Guest Stoney
To be honest I've been to most of the pubs mentioned and none of them are as bad ad they seem.

i think if you go into a pub a) looking for trouble, B) look uncomfortable, c) act like a prick

Most dodgy pubs have a reputation, but if you go in and buy a pint, sit down read the paper and don't bother no one you will be Ok.

True story.

forgot to add d ) beat a regular at pool !! :laughing:

Missed the start of this, but will add my choice

Bob Lawrence's, used to be on Gt Northern Road just round Woodside Fountain area, believe it's now a funeral directors and can only be much, much happier for it!

Went in once, just once, met with total silence, ordered the 3 pints for me and my friends, and was drinking and having a quiet chat (NB all 3 of us were Aiberdeen or Buchan born), after about 5 mins the barman says "Here, you spikkin or drinkin? If you're nae drikin get tha f*ck oot of my bar!" Needless to say we did!

Benn in the Broadsword in Tilly quite a few times as a student, never thought twice about going, also been in the 524 often, lived for a while in a flat in (I think) 538, then Calsayseat Road so it was "on the way oot" most nights.

Guest Stoney
And I thought there was only one John Smeaton :hysterical:

Stoney is my new hero

What do you mean new hero - you have always worshipped me :hysterical: