First Drivers' Strike Goes Ahead Saturday

K-9

We got told the same Tommy. Our usual salary review (payrise) which is August was put off until February at least. No guarantee we will get one then either and if we do it wont be backdated. I dried my eyes and got on with my job. If I was a bus driver I might have considered a strike.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIRST bus arenae struggling due to the recession as their year on year profits continue to rise, plus they've obviously got enough in the coffers as the attempted buy oot of National express a few wiks ago shows - the FIRST fat cat bosses (like your bus driver this morning?) are still getting their bonuses therefore why should the profit nae filter doon to the guys who are at the sharp end?

Why should it? It's a business nae a charity.

Would they accept a pay cut if the company was posting losses?

PS. Too late min. :angry:

Thank you to the stand in driver that got me into work on time.

Needed a wee bit of help with the route but he did fine, and seemed cheery enough.

As for the ones out on strike, aint happy ? Find another job.

You knew the wages and conditions when you took the job, you are a bus driver not

a feckn surgeon.

Grow some balls and tell your union to wise up.

Same here. Guy obviously a trainee and no idea about route but nice enough and got us there (albeit pretty slowly). As for the rest couldn't agree more.

Ach, I'll bite since its a quiet day today :angry:

Fit annoys me the maist aboot this kind of threads is that folk cannae see past their ain noses and actually look at the facts - its one of the very few occasions where folk are actually taking the stories that the EE print as being gospel (52% wage increase demands, average wage upto

Course they dinnae, but if it doesnae flow doon then you end up with strikes and general unhappiness within the workforce - which isnae really ideal

You are correct but to me its just a load of nonsense. why do they think they should get more of someone else cash just because they made some more??? they knew the salary when they took on the job.

I take your point but going off the Scotsman figures, average annual earnings of 18 - 21K seems pretty damned decent for what can at best be described as semi-skilled work.

You can't take up a 'career' as a bus driver, road sweeper or lollypop lady and expect to be living like Tony Montana. There is a going rate for these things and going out on strike for an above inflation pay rise when 100s of thousands are losing their jobs is not going to win you many supporters.

Well would need Harper or somebody to confirm but the basic according to thon article was something like

Those c**ts made me late this morning!

Drove past where they were 'protesting' and noticed their little banners _46066788_bus_strike_466282.jpg I thought they were protesting about getting a payrise????

At the end of the day i dont see why they should be getting a rise when pretty much every single person has had a freeze or a cut!

Due to nae using first bus in aberdeen a lot I hiv a question for yi that de.

I ken that bluebird buses put up their prices each and every 6 months without fail by at least 10p. Is first bus the same or do they try and keep the prices that they have?

As for gan on strike this really isnae the way to go when dealing with a public service like buses. Any support the public may have with the drivers will evaporate really quickly when you are standing in the pissin rain waitin for a bus that niver shows. I also niver got a pay rise this year but I was unhappy with this. Mainly cause the c**ts I work for were quick enough to tell me fit my non rise would be but taks them 3 months to tell me fit it will be fan I do get one.

Oh and the folk that took a 10% pay cut are you by any chance self employed and hire yourselfs oot to a company? Thats fit the engineers did at my work and got sh!t hot wages durin the good times so have to take the hit during the bad.

I aint falling for any of the 52% nonsense, likewise i aint falling for the "poor bus driver" nonsense.

They are there to provide a service to the public, they were happy to accept employment, knew

the wages and how they could enhance their earnings by working extra shifts.

They lose a day's pay today and achieved nothing apart from making the public dislike them even more.

A victory for their bosses.

As i said, they can always resign in protest.

They should be happy just to accept empoyment? its nae the 1900's anymore you know

Due to nae using first bus in aberdeen a lot I hiv a question for yi that de.

I ken that bluebird buses put up their prices each and every 6 months without fail by at least 10p. Is first bus the same or do they try and keep the prices that they have?

CAn onybody answer my question? I wish to know before deciding if I support them or not and getting properley stuck in.

Aye, but do you think thats a decent salary?, does this nae make you see why them want a 4% increase?

I wouldn't want the job at that wage but i know drivers who are happy and totally

opposed the strike.

They work overtime of about 10 hours a week taking them to a 48 hour week and

get around