Will We Ever Have A Better Shot At The League?

I'll get straight to the point. With a bit of investment in the team, and a decent rub of the green, I feel we now have the best chance in years of winning the league.

Killie have lost Clarke; Rangers have pigshit-thick hubcap-pilferer Gerrard; and Celtic have inexplicably appointed an alkie Hibs reject with anger-management issues. Leaving us - by default - with the best manager in the SPFL. I know, I know, but it's true...

Am I alone in thinking we now have a genuine shot at the thing?

• Downvote 3

Yes, we had one 4/ 5 years ago in January. Celtic were rattled, dons were on form.

It was universally accepted that a decent investment in Aberdeen then and the club would have challenged.

Instead the dons spent nothing, rolled over to Celtic about 3-0 and it was tatties.

It's not in the nature of AFC or folk from the NE to dream big.

Dons just finished fourth, about 20 odd points off top and will lose a lot of first team players.

Absolutely zero hope, despite the points raised

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I guess I'm going on the principle that appointing fuckwits as managers will end in tears.

Gerrard and Lennon truly are Dumb and Dumber ( which is Dumber remains to be seen ) and part of me believes that the Aberdeen board, with a full summer at their disposal, will go the extra half mile to take advantage of this gold-plated opportunity.

I have been over-optimistic in the past. Time will tell how serious we are now...

• Site Sponsor

Yes, we had one 4/ 5 years ago in January. Celtic were rattled, dons were on form.

It was universally accepted that a decent investment in Aberdeen then and the club would have challenged.

Instead the dons spent nothing, rolled over to Celtic about 3-0 and it was tatties.

It's not in the nature of AFC or folk from the NE to dream big.

Dons just finished fourth, about 20 odd points off top and will lose a lot of first team players.

Absolutely zero hope, despite the points raised

Fuck - I’ve just inadvertently-1’d that when I meant to +1.

Someone do me a favour and +1 the bold Poodler.

Sausage fingers, failing eyesight etc etc (aye me, nae Poodler).

Soz Poods.

Sadly agree with Poodles summation of our league chances.

It’ll take a fair bit of investment for us to challenge.

First thing we need is a midfield comprising a player with vision and passing ability.

We also need a dirty hard bastard not afraid to put his foot in and help us lose our “softies” image.

Until we sort that, we won’t be title contenders and the Minks and the Sevco Scum will continue to be top two.

Sad but there it is

Folk here need a huge dose of reality. Without either a minted sugar daddy putting serious wonga into the playing side.....or a total change in the rules to level the playing field.......or Celtic (and sevco) fucking off to another league...........we will NEVER ever win a league again.

Lennon is a bit shit but the cash he will have available will keep Celtic well ahead of every club bar sevco. I think they'll do 9IAR but in doing so will likely cause SlippyG to get his jotters. Sevco will eventually hit on a manager that knows what he is doing and even though the cash Celtic have vastly outstrips them, they'll just do everything on the never never like oldco in a last ditch attempt to prevent 10IAR. And they may just succeed with Lennon steering the Celtic ship.

The SFA  (and Milne grrrrr) have got the duopoly (of sorts) they always wanted when oldco went tits up and they tried to shoehorn sevco straight back into the vacant gap.

• Upvote 2

I think next year will be our only chance for some time. I think Sevco and Celtic will be focused on each other and one or both could potentially falter given the demands of both of their fans. They both have relatively in experienced managers both building teams. However, after next season I can see both building on what they have and lets face it breaking up any attempts that we make by taking our best players. I think next season may be our last chance for some time.

I'll get straight to the point. With a bit of investment in the team, and a decent rub of the green, I feel we now have the best chance in years of winning the league.

Killie have lost Clarke; Rangers have pigshit-thick hubcap-pilferer Gerrard; and Celtic have inexplicably appointed an alkie Hibs reject with anger-management issues. Leaving us - by default - with the best manager in the SPFL. I know, I know, but it's true...

Am I alone in thinking we now have a genuine shot at the thing?

Yes

Have to agree with TC, money talks. We are so far behind financially it’s just not going to happen unfortunately. Best we can hope for is the odd cup here and there. Would be bloody brilliantly if the cheeks fucked off to England. Imagine watching our game where 5 or 6 teams could win the league each season.

I'll get straight to the point also. We've just finished 11 points behind SECOND place and a full 20 points behind the winners. Both 1st and 2nd will spend more and pay higher wages than we will this summer thus potentially recruiting better players than we will. We won't win the league. At least one of the two will do better than we will - and probably both.

Unless we get a billionaire investor in,we’ve zero chance of winning the league again.

Even if we did,the powers that be would do their best to ensure we didn’t win,with “inept”referees and dodgy card overturning,a bit like what the huns have had this season.

Imagine if we were in the running,the dodgy pens for either of the arse cheeks and dodgy red cards against us etc would be unbelievable.

Worst case scenario next season is the Huns winning the league. With the appointment of Lennon it wouldn’t surprise me if they pull out all the stops financially to try and topple them.

I personally don’t think we can challenge for winning the league next year even with some investment. Lennon and Slippy are perhaps complete rockets, but it doesn’t take a genius to win the league with those resources. Plus let’s face it, Milne isn’t going to all of sudden start throwing money at DM to buy players..: he hasn’t given any indication of that so far in his tenure, so why start now.

As a club, we are happy to finish in top 4 and as much as us fans want to win the league, it isn’t an ambition that Milne is suddenly going to start investing in. My prediction is 3rd at best.

Yes we have to settle for 3rd or 4th anyone wantinn more has ideas above thier station.

We have a board with no ambition. Who are happy to back a management team that has no need to show any desire and bravery as they know they are teflon. Why risk shirts off toe to toe with the old firm when you can happily coast along in cruise control doing whay the fuck you like with no consequences.

Yes we have to settle for 3rd or 4th anyone wantinn more has ideas above thier station.

We have a board with no ambition. Who are happy to back a management team that has no need to show any desire and bravery as they know they are teflon. Why risk shirts off toe to toe with the old firm when you can happily coast along in cruise control doing whay the fuck you like with no consequences.

True. Anything lower than that should be considered a fail.

True. Anything lower than that should be considered a fail.

Surely anything below third is failure? Even if we could fluke a draw like the Huns got in the Europa this season we should make the groups of the management recruit well! No doubt we will draw Milan in the 3rd round though!

In reality one of the ugly sisters will buy success in the January window to ensure one of them wins league. Whilst we will obviously initially attempt to win league 3rd must be actual aim, with 4th being considered a worst case acceptable scenario.

Domestic cup wise you are really dependant on avoiding the ugly sisters until the latter stages of competition(s), preferably the final, whereby even scoring first goal may not guarantee success. However if we reach as many finals, as we have done in recent years, this is the most likely way we will win another trophy.

Finally, with regard Europe, you really require to not only play well but also carry the luck of the draw. We are due some luck to, hopefully, proceed a bit further on this arena but, unfortunately, suspect that, if we negotiate the first couple of ties, we'll draw a European powerhouse team in the next stage, which will, effectively, shorten our chances of proceeding further.

When was the last time time a non old firm team seriously threatened to win the league?

I'd say it ourselves in 1991 which is a long time ago. There is a very simple reason for that...money talks especially in Scottish football. Next season will be no different to the last 34 seasons. One of the ugly sisters will win it. Most likely Celtic but I wouldn't rule the huns out.

To win the league we need a team that wants to win it, will battle for everything and grind out results when needed a management team that pushes the team and doesn’t accept slack performances, full backing from the board and support and a nice wedge of luck. Out of all that at the moment, we can grind out results......just not consistently

Imagine the dons in the Europe league groups with a squad of about 24.

We'd be playing with bairns by Xmas

Good point. The play off round finishes on 29th August so McInnes would have 2 days before the transfer window closed to make sure we had a squad big enough to handle all those extra games.

Its's not like McInnes could have players lined up to sign for us that late in the window only on the premise that we make the group stages. Players and their agents wouldn't hang around waiting till that late in the window. So yes I've often thought if we did ever make the group stages our domestic form would very likely suffer.

When was the last time time a non old firm team seriously threatened to win the league?

I'd say it ourselves in 1991 which is a long time ago. There is a very simple reason for that...money talks especially in Scottish football. Next season will be no different to the last 34 seasons. One of the ugly sisters will win it. Most likely Celtic but I wouldn't rule the huns out.

Hearts did when they almost Sevco’d themselves

That's in all seriousness, even for you, just really really embarrassing

A board with no ambition?

Training facilities this year, that they raised 12m for

Stadium in 4 years that they are underway with raising 50m for

Increased turnover by double, last 5 years

Highest wage bill out with the old firm

Debt free

Yep, no ambition right enough

CRINGE

Aye a board that for years accepted malaise. That appointed a fucking oaf and his alky pals as a management team creating a culture of unprofessionalism. A board that only by the generosity of a benefactor had a monsterous debt paid off, a board that has given the current manager carte blanch to do what the fuck he likes.and are set to reward him with an improved deal to sit tight for the next few years with no need to improve

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2