Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

the only country in the world afraid of our own independence. 

No voters fell/fall under a number of categories.

Any one of the below, or a combination of therein.

• Ignorant / ill informed / can't be bothered being informed.
  • Selfish - I'm alright Jack. The Aberdeen / Oil mantra. Quite apparent in the office I was in 2014.
  • Gullible - Swallowing whole Brit propaganda mainstream brainwashing.
  • Hunnery - Rabid "Proud Scottish and British" oxymoron fuckwittery.
  • Self loathing - Scotland is shite. I've been told it is, so it must be.
  • Devoid of imagination - No ability to veer from entrenched thinking. Sort of people who go to the same hotel in the same resort year in, year out.
  • Frightened - As mentioned by yourself. The widespread implantation into old folks that they'd have no pension in an indy Scotland for example.

A few of those interact and influence the others.

Sorry state of affairs.

• Upvote 1

• Selfish - I'm alright Jack. The Aberdeen / Oil mantra. Quite apparent in the office I was in 2014.
  • Devoid of imagination - No ability to veer from entrenched thinking. Sort of people who go to the same hotel in the same resort year in, year out.
  • Frightened - As mentioned by yourself. The widespread implantation into old folks that they'd have no pension in an indy Scotland for example.

Sorry state of affairs.

Sorry state of affairs.

Posting shit like that is hardly going make a single No voter change to Yes, is it?

Correct.

It was a direct reply to a quote of Jocky's.

Those who have an irrational detestation for their country of birth on here are not likely for turning anyway.

If they haven't clicked by now, it's never likely to happen.

And therein lies the issue - if perpetual Tory rule (come on folks, Corbyn isn't going to be PM, is he?) and all that goes with it, isn't enough to tip us over the 50% mark anytime soon, then nothing ever will... And if that turns out to be the case, we don't deserve to be independent anyway and will deserve everything coming our way. In that scenario, thank fuck my kids are Irish citizens with an Irish mother. Sadly a lot of Scots don't have that escape option and would be stuck with the status quo, which is a continuing terminal decline of the UK state.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, now that it's nearing crunch time with Brexit, what are the odds that the FM keechs her drawers and backs out of "Indyref2"?

I may have backed independence last time (and still favour self-determination) but since she and Murrell took the reins, the SNP have looked to me like a controlled opposition, a cosy managerial arrangement that plays to the crowd when need be, just to keep punters happy, but when it comes to the crunch have no real clue on how to further the cause of their modus operandi.

In an age where the YES movement has become more hard-left and intolerant of dissenting voices, it's impossible to point out without being given dog's abuse that there has been little, if any, honest remediation and/or introspection on why the SNP lost last time (close but no cigar - it should have been a perfect storm) and even if they do call another referendum, I think there is a real chance they will lose again, such is the unwillingness to address previous shortcomings and renew the prospectus

I hope I'm wrong, because continued Tory rule will be disastrous for Scotland.

• Downvote 1

I had high hopes for Sturgeon, but she's another fraud. Patronising and devoid of ideas, she only seems interested in photo opportunities and virtue signalling.

Would appear that Sturgeon is between a rock and a hard place at the moment with loads of voices saying that she has to go for Indy Ref 2.

Only problem being that the polls are not showing a great majority for such a thing and she knows that another 'no' vote would spell the end not only for her but perhaps even the SNP.

While not an SNP fan by any stretch, I do believe in an independent Scotland and also believe that the SNP have introduced some great changes (e.g.free prescription, check ups etc) and policies as well as some utterly terrible ones (e.g. Named Person).

Makes me wonder if they are happy in the position that they are where they can always blame 'Westminster' safe in the knowledge that they will never have to make the big, and usually unpopular, decisions.

Sorry state of affairs.

True and some use/fall for the excuse we might not be better off in some things

For fuck sake did any of the other countries that left the British empire have to go through every penny to see if it was viable or not

We have no say now but independent we will have more

And before some clown comes on and says leaving one union to join another gives us less say this is for you

56-DD35-FD-D0-E6-4-DF7-AC85-1-FE9-ED2-B7gif hosting

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The majority of Scots voted YES, unfortunately the vast majority of non-Scots living here voted No. And there was enough of them to carry the vote. Also, there are a lot of selfish middle-class pensioners who can't see beyond their own pension.

I wasn't able to vote in the Scottish referendum despite being born and bred, yet I was entitled to voted in the UK referendum. I was absolutely enraged that someone from england, temporarily relocated to Scotland, was eligible to vote, yet I wasn't!  They need to get that sorted for the next referendum.  Myself and many others are going to be much better prepared and I'll make sure that I'm able to get a vote in the next one!

The vast majority of Scottish expats I know would vote in favour of independence.  I'd certainly look at possibly returning if we got independence. 

Similarly, the vast majority of English people in Australia that I've spoken to voted for Brexit.  Almost all citing immigration as the main reason they left England in the first place!!

• Downvote 1

I wasn't able to vote in the Scottish referendum despite being born and bred, yet I was entitled to voted in the UK referendum. I was absolutely enraged that someone from england, temporarily relocated to Scotland, was eligible to vote, yet I wasn't! They need to get that sorted for the next referendum. Myself and many others are going to be much better prepared and I'll make sure that I'm able to get a vote in the next one!

The vast majority of Scottish expats I know would vote in favour of independence. I'd certainly look at possibly returning if we got independence.

Similarly, the vast majority of English people in Australia that I've spoken to voted for Brexit. Almost all citing immigration as the main reason they left England in the first place!!

No offence but why should someone who doesn't live in Scotland be allowed to vote here?

Your post does highlight how the Brexit referendum was about identity and nationalism, while the Scottish referendum was about democracy and the people who live here, regardless of their identity, choosing which direction the country should go in.

Pretty much the opposite of how the MSM have tried to spin things.

No offence but why should someone who doesn't live in Scotland be allowed to vote here?

Your post does highlight how the Brexit referendum was about identity and nationalism, while the Scottish referendum was about democracy and the people who live here, regardless of their identity, choosing which direction the country should go in.

Pretty much the opposite of how the MSM have tried to spin things.

If they're Scottish they deserve a say in their country's future.  Just because they weren't residing in Scotland at the time of the vote, shouldn't make them ineligible.  They could move back the day after the vote.  If they're Scottish they should have a vote, just like if you are British, you get a vote in Brexit.

Regarding your second point... another way of looking at it is that those in charge of driving the Scottish referendum fucked up majorly.  I'd love to see the statistics from the British expats who voted in Brexit - I'd say they'd be incredibly skewed towards 'leave Europe'.

• Downvote 1

If they're Scottish they deserve a say in their country's future. Just because they weren't residing in Scotland at the time of the vote, shouldn't make them ineligible. They could move back the day after the vote. If they're Scottish they should have a vote, just like if you are British, you get a vote in Brexit.

Regarding your second point... another way of looking at it is that those in charge of driving the Scottish referendum fucked up majorly. I'd love to see the statistics from the British expats who voted in Brexit - I'd say they'd be incredibly skewed towards 'leave Europe'.

They deserve fuck all.

If you choose to leave this country, then you do not contribute to this country and you get fuck all say in it.

Hate these arseholes and their inflated sense of entitlement.

Worstcunts.

• Upvote 1

Also, there are a lot of selfish middle-class pensioners who can't see beyond their own pension.

Thank God for those "selfish middle class pensioners" who voted no as if it wasn't for them it is fair to say our economy would have been decimated if we had voted yes due to the collapse in the oil price shortly after the referendum.

Thank God for those "selfish middle class pensioners" who voted no as if it wasn't for them it is fair to say our economy would have been decimated if we had voted yes due to the collapse in the oil price shortly after the referendum.

You do know the UK pension is one of the lowest in Europe and most of the other countries its lower than Dont have Oil

Scotland the only country in the world to poor to be independent well this is what they said about malta in 1959 so normal people can see through this scaremongering shit.

A5-CCBDE0-0-B39-4-A0-B-BC02-A34268-E5127

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1