• 3 weeks later...

Just started the first book of the "Laidlaw Trilogy" by William Mcilvanney.

Brilliant writing and story so far and he is often credited with starting the whole Tartan Noir genre inspiring the likes of Ian Rankin and Val McDermid (shite views on football but a brilliant writer).

Well worth a read if not already done so.

On 6/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, For Fecks Sake said:

Just started the first book of the "Laidlaw Trilogy" by William Mcilvanney.

Brilliant writing and story so far and he is often credited with starting the whole Tartan Noir genre inspiring the likes of Ian Rankin and Val McDermid (shite views on football but a brilliant writer).

Well worth a read if not already done so.

Would you say it’s better than Rebus? 

23 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Would you say it’s better than Rebus? 

Hmmm good question. Very different writing styles with Mcilvanney adopting a more descriptive style than Rankin. 

However the storylines from both are excellent and convey their respective periods and characters well.

Rebus is still my #1 but I see the mastery in Mcilvanney's writing more!

Re-reading that, it sounds gay as fuck!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Grays Babylon 1875
30 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Forward by Duncan Goodhew?

It's a The Office gag Mary doll. 

Put the book down.  In to Chapter 3.  Too grim.  Fuck that.  Basically Stalin and his cronies were cunts that tortured and killed millions of their own people and communism is well wrong. 

On 7/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

It's a The Office gag Mary doll. 

Put the book down.  In to Chapter 3.  Too grim.  Fuck that.  Basically Stalin and his cronies were cunts that tortured and killed millions of their own people and communism is well wrong. 

A joke copied from Alan Partridge. " Not my words Michael, the words of Shakin' Stevens"

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
On 7/12/2022 at 10:34 AM, Ramandu said:

Read that exact passage quoted in another book recently. Tough to read. 

Would you believe it gets even worse after that...?

The shit they were doing was pure hunnery. 

Disgrace - JM Coetzee.

Bit tame but a page turner.   Disgraced professor in S Africa goes to live with his white lesbian hippy daughter on her farm.

Shit goes awry.

Mental country thon...

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
10 hours ago, Ke1t said:

Gulag Archipelago was shite, tbh... thon Applebaum bird's 'Gulag' is a much easier read.

Do yourselves a favour and avoid Russian authors whenever possible.

Not having that.

Last page of Crime and Punishment lifted my spirits in a way I've never experienced before, even through music or looking at photographs of David Gray. 

53 minutes ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Not having that.

Last page of Crime and Punishment lifted my spirits in a way I've never experienced before, even through music or looking at photographs of David Gray. 

What happens again? Admits his guilt and hands himself in?  Read it many years ago, it's a bit vague now.

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
18 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

What happens again? Admits his guilt and hands himself in?  Read it many years ago, it's a bit vague now.

He finally realises the purpose of life, while in jail. 

Then he glasses the barmaid.  The end. 

On 7/15/2022 at 3:46 PM, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Not having that.

Kelt's clearly a smart chap, but of course he's talking nonsense here. 

I'll take this as a recommendation for C&P.

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

A Heart Full of Headstones - well worth reading.

There is apparently a new series of Rebus coming on the telly focusing on his younger days. Hopefully it's more Ken Stott than John Hannah.

Definitely preferred Ken Stott...more of a 'battered', weather-beaten look. It's how i picture Rebus. 

On 12/4/2022 at 1:44 PM, For Fecks Sake said:

A Heart Full of Headstones - well worth reading.

There is apparently a new series of Rebus coming on the telly focusing on his younger days. Hopefully it's more Ken Stott than John Hannah.

Amazon saying it's not released until April and can only pre-order in paperback. Where did you get a copy ?

It's available in hard cover I see