Home Insurance/legal Advice

stirlingsheep

Why the fuck would she not have insurance? That's basically making the decision to pay out of pocket for any damages in order to save cash in the hopes there's never anything goes wrong.  That's a gamble you'll always lose. 

Being the great guy I am I'd probably cut her a check to fix any damage, but if she came the cunt or gave me attitude I'd make sure she never saw a penny.  In fact I'd probably hire a lawyer to find out if she has met all the legal requirements to even rent the property. If she's not even doing basics like insuring the property you have to wonder what maintenance she's falling down on inna. That could impact your property if the place is a fire hazard. 

It’s a dilemma, get your solicitor to send a letter saying you are willing to be amicable, accepting some responsibility but don’t want the piss being ripped out of you and need to do it by the book

to legally cover your own back.

Or rape, murder and torch the whole place down.

We could maybe have a Hat vote.

Why the fuck would she not have insurance? That's basically making the decision to pay out of pocket for any damages in order to save cash in the hopes there's never anything goes wrong. That's a gamble you'll always lose.

Being the great guy I am I'd probably cut her a check to fix any damage, but if she came the cunt or gave me attitude I'd make sure she never saw a penny. In fact I'd probably hire a lawyer to find out if she has met all the legal requirements to even rent the property. If she's not even doing basics like insuring the property you have to wonder what maintenance she's falling down on inna. That could impact your property if the place is a fire hazard.

Not many landlords will insure the contents of a house. She’ll maybe have a nominal amount of contents for anything that she has left, like furnishings etc. Certainly not a legal requirement.

Would you ensure someone else’s house?

I suspect she’s got a straight forward civil case for damages if you’ve caused damage to her belongings and you’ve accepted responsibility.

This forum is usually the best place to find it...

So a few days ago I returned home atbthe same time as the downstairs neighbours (cottage flat - no shared area, they rent from someone, we own). 5 mins later, she is knocking on my door telling me water is coming in her kitchen roof.

We phoned our home insurance emergency line, who sent a plumber within 3 hours who isolated it (and came back and full fixed it a day later - we paid).

The landlord got in contact the next day asking for our details for insurance, we had spoke to our insurance company who had said we could pass them on but she could only claim on her insurance then they would try and claim from ours.

Next day she phones asking us for our insurance underwriters and tells us to give her permission to speak to them as GDPR means she couldn't get anywhere. We reiterated about claiming on her insurance.

She then phoned back telling us that she didn't have insurance (I thought insurance was a legal requirement for landlords) and that she needed to claim on ours, again we reiterated our sides advice.

She said we were responsible so personally we should pay for any damage, I indicated although the leak came from our flat, we had been told it was accidental and we took care of it as soon as possible, so legally we weren't. At that point she said that she would get solicitors involved as morally we were obliged to pay.

My mrs and myself actually would have paid an excess if she had any, but given that it would be her guys repairing it, and her that was getting it costed etc, we're not keen on dealing with anything that doesnt involve insurance.

Any experts out there know the position? Does she have a claim against us? Are we responsible? Legally do landlords need insurance?

I’ve got landlord insurance purely for buildings cover on the house I rent out. Contents is tenant responsibility.

Couldn’t tell you if you need insurance for a mortgage or not. Easy enough to take out then cancel to get round that.

A ceiling counts as building.

Your insurance company should be paying for the damage caused regardless of their insurance state. They should also be getting the tradesmen to fix and not your neighbour.

I wouldn’t be chasing it though. Let the neighbour do the donkey work but your insurance company is ripping the piss saying they claim then claim against them.

I’ve got landlord insurance purely for buildings cover on the house I rent out. Contents is tenant responsibility.

Couldn’t tell you if you need insurance for a mortgage or not. Easy enough to take out then cancel to get round that.

Your insurance company should be paying for the damage caused regardless of their insurance state. They should also be getting the tradesmen to fix and not your neighbour.

I wouldn’t be chasing it though. Let the neighbour do the donkey work but your insurance company is ripping the piss saying they claim then claim against them.

Exactly

The insurance companies line was your at your address, her property is at a different address, so her property isn't covered by your policy - she should be claiming on her own and then the two work it out, or so we keep being told.

She's an absentee landlord on about 4 houses around us, in the midlands somewhere, and her son 'manages' the properties for her up here.

Tbh if she had approached from the start and said, "I don't have insurance and we reckon it'll be xx amount, can you contribute?" We would likely have worked something out. But threatening with solicitors etc instead of just admitting you dont have insurance was a bit shitty, and then expecting us to just hand her whatever she wanted was taking the piss a bit.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice folks.

The insurance companies line was your at your address, her property is at a different address, so her property isn't covered by your policy - she should be claiming on her own and then the two work it out, or so we keep being told.

She's an absentee landlord on about 4 houses around us, in the midlands somewhere, and her son 'manages' the properties for her up here.

Tbh if she had approached from the start and said, "I don't have insurance and we reckon it'll be xx amount, can you contribute?" We would likely have worked something out. But threatening with solicitors etc instead of just admitting you dont have insurance was a bit shitty, and then expecting us to just hand her whatever she wanted was taking the piss a bit.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice folks.

You’ve damaged her property. Whether your insurance are willing to deal with her is not really the point, she can bring a civil claim against you for damages. Whether your insurance company are willing to get involved or not is irrelevant to the fact you’ve caused damage to someone else’s property. It’s not like car insurance where it’s illegal not to have insurance. You can bet your insurance company aren’t going to help you on this.

That’s my take on it.

Just looking at some legal pish online and apparently Buildings Insurance is NOT a legal requirement.  Buildings Insurance covering structural damage, in this case presumably the ceiling, and maybe a wall and the floor? 

That's just mental. 

I can understand contents not being compulsory, but the actual structural integrity of a building is surely somewhat important.  Seems a bit loosey goosey to not enforce structural insurance, though... 

Live and learn, 

Just looking at some legal pish online and apparently Buildings Insurance is NOT a legal requirement. Buildings Insurance covering structural damage, in this case presumably the ceiling, and maybe a wall and the floor?

That's just mental.

I can understand contents not being compulsory, but the actual structural integrity of a building is surely somewhat important. Seems a bit loosey goosey to not enforce structural insurance, though...

Live and learn,

I’m shocked you need to look somewhere else other than the hat for advice!

I’m shocked you need to look somewhere else other than the hat for advice!

What I'm seeing elsewhere on legal sites is actually surprisingly close to the advice being doled out by Hat experts, to be fair. 

The Glory Holes and Rape Act of 1983 was almost word for word what was suggested on here for dealing with cases of damage to neighbouring properties. 

What I'm seeing elsewhere on legal sites is actually surprisingly close to the advice being doled out by Hat experts, to be fair.

The Glory Holes and Rape Act of 1983 was almost word for word what was suggested on here for dealing with cases of damage to neighbouring properties.

Any guidelines about dildos on bonnets?

Don’t pay her fuck all.

Look at the terms and conditions of your insurance. Ascertain that it includes accidental damage to 3rd party properties. If it does (which I’m sure it will) write her a polite letter stating you understand it to be the job of your insurer to pay the costs, you feel out of your depth and would rather they deal with this matter entirely and you wish no further correspondence with her with regards to this and anymore will be seen as threatening.

If she has 4 properties rented out she will have plenty cash, she’s just a fucking cunt trying to force you into paying out money at Christmas you might never see back. You pay insurance for a reason and it’s to avoid this being a problem for you.

Then rape and murder her and hang her body in full view at the lounge window of her flat with a dildo super glued to her head so the property value drops and her son gets a crap in inheritance.