Scottish Independence Referendum 2

Henry

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No

Misread that, read that as oil when it is now they going to use the oil industry expertise.

Still don’t see why anyone gives a fuck if somebody asks me where I’m from I say Scotland, not Britain it would do fuck all to change my life other than potentially higher taxes and a load of fucking about getting a new  passport etc

Not against just don’t see the point.

• Downvote 1
23 minutes ago, Fridge said:

Misread that, read that as oil when it is now they going to use the oil industry expertise.

Still don’t see why anyone gives a fuck if somebody asks me where I’m from I say Scotland, not Britain it would do fuck all to change my life other than potentially higher taxes and a load of fucking about getting a new  passport etc

Not against just don’t see the point.

You don't see the point in a country making decisions for itself? 

You don't see the point in a country who never votes Conservative not wanting to be run by them? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We pretty much get to do what we want anyway and have the safety net of cash from Westminister if it goes tits.

This has been been proven by COVID where we have done what we want. What additional life changing powers would we get through independence compared with the fucking hassle and cost of it. Like I say I couldn’t care less just think it is a pointless exercise, who’s to say we wouldn’t vote Tory anyway after we got it.

41 minutes ago, Lencarl said:

Interesting read that albeit from a pro indy website with some good points being made.

What is stopping the SNP from implementation and building upon those points made in the article now? Why wait until an event that may never happen, why not get on with it now?

9 minutes ago, Fridge said:

We pretty much get to do what we want anyway and have the safety net of cash from Westminister if it goes tits.

No. The Westminster government runs the country at a colossal deficit. A deficit of £60bn in the year to March 2020, putting the national debt at over £2 trillion. 

The UK government can however borrow money in our name, with us having no say, that we'll have to pay back. Akin to your mum taking out a loan in your name, giving you a car you don't want and telling you you'll have to pay it off. 

Real countries can borrow money themselves. Just like Scotland would do if we were a real country. 

This has been been proven by COVID where we have done what we want.

No. We specifically haven't. We've been unable to close borders (no control over that) and, as we cannot borrow money, have been unable to have the financial powers to make all the decisions they wanted to. 

What additional life changing powers would we get through independence

Every single power. 

who’s to say we wouldn’t vote Tory anyway after we got it.

50 years of Scotland not voting Tory is a decent indicator that Scotland wouldn't vote Tory. Don't you think? 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, maryhilldon said:

Aberdeen is a wealthier city than Glasgow,  in what way is it being shafted?   Seems to be the conservative NIMBY attitude of a lot of it's inhabitants and elected officials that holds it back,  according to a lot of folk on here anyway. 

We're the lowest funded council authority in Scotland and have been for some time.  The elected officials are fucking useless though I'll agree with you there

39 minutes ago, Fridge said:

I think I will, but not one person in here, Sturgo, Boris or so called economic experts have a fucking clue what would happen if we got Indy. It might be a Utopia or might go totally to shit. I just don’t see the point in taking the gamble but each to their own.

Because, despite having some of the greatest natural resources of any country in Europe, Scotland has one of the worst health records on the continent and some of the most severe inequality. 

We have decisions made for us which are not in our best interests. We get to help fund projects like HS2, Crossrail, trident renewal that have either zero benefit to Scotland or are opposed overwhelming To by Scottish electorate. 

You display a classic "I'm alright, Jack" attitude. Which you're well entitled to do, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

I can think or plenty - and you can google even more - but you were saying that there were "fundamental questions" that some don't want to discuss: -

such as?

Two most fundamental question for me are :

1)What currency will we use. I personally believe that this one of the main topics that cost us independence last time as it was not answered clearly enough by the SNP.

2)Will we join the EU - and more importantly there was an undeniable large, albeit not the majority, vote against joining the EU in Scotland so do the Scottish public want it.

Loads more questions around defence, pensions and tax etc.

As I have stated before, I truly believe that we can be an independent country however there is going to be a helluva lot of pain along the way with the burden of responsibility falling on those with broad shoulders. Which in SNP speak equates to high rate tax payers or those earning £43k or above.

Aberdeen is already unfairly treated compared to the rest of the country and I am sure the SNP will continue its central belt bias independence or not.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Just now, rocket_scientist said:

I don't see currency as one of the biggest questions but I agree that it's crucially important that the government spell out the plan and their failure to do so in sufficient detail last time cost them heavily, more for credibility than anything else.

The EU isn't one of the biggest questions for me either but you said that a "fair chunk" of people weren't willing to discuss fundamental questions and I don't know what you mean by that?

So I just provided two fundamental questions that whenever the subject of independence comes up the vast majority of people that I speak with either gloss over, shy away from discussing or resort to spouting the usual independence rhetoric of Scotland being as rich as Saudi, how we would have a monetary surplus etc.

What do you see as the biggest questions around independence then?

4 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Two most fundamental question for me are :

1)What currency will we use. I personally believe that this one of the main topics that cost us independence last time as it was not answered clearly enough by the SNP.

2)Will we join the EU - and more importantly there was an undeniable large, albeit not the majority, vote against joining the EU in Scotland so do the Scottish public want it.

Loads more questions around defence, pensions and tax etc.

As I have stated before, I truly believe that we can be an independent country however there is going to be a helluva lot of pain along the way with the burden of responsibility falling on those with broad shoulders. Which in SNP speak equates to high rate tax payers or those earning £43k or above.

Aberdeen is already unfairly treated compared to the rest of the country and I am sure the SNP will continue its central belt bias independence or not.

Next you will be asking for a plan b funny how no one has mentioned plan b for Brexit

No matter what currency we use we will just be like all other countries and get on with it.

Whatever currency is mentioned it would not be good enough for those looking for an excuse even the Euro that 20 odd countries currently use.

Why do you think Scotlands choice of currency would fail unlike all other countries in the world 

26 minutes ago, caledonia said:

Next you will be asking for a plan b funny how no one has mentioned plan b for Brexit

No matter what currency we use we will just be like all other countries and get on with it.

Whatever currency is mentioned it would not be good enough for those looking for an excuse even the Euro that 20 odd countries currently use.

Why do you think Scotlands choice of currency would fail unlike all other countries in the world 

Not looking for a plan B just answers to a relatively straightforward question.

If its going to be the euro and all easy then fine tell us, but the SNP have been affa coy about the whole thing and have not provided an answer.