Whisky

teheeculls

Balvenie 18 year-old with Red Bull - the educated drinker's choice.

Unless yer drinking a Balvenie from the early 80's (roughly £400 a bottle if you can find one on an auction site), Balvenie no longer do an 18 year old.

Then again if you are drinking said 18 year old Balvenie with Red Bull, what a fucking waste of a fine dram!

• Upvote 1

Been enjoying a wee nip at night recently, finished a bottle of Highland Park and nearly finished a bottle of Glenlivet. Any recommendations for next purchase? Defo not keen on the peaty (Islay?) ones. Happy to by a blend if anyone knows any decent ones. Tried a Monkey Shoulder in the boozer but it seemed a bit rough also tried a Cameron Brig which I liked but I've never seen in the shops.

Have a few decent whiskies in my drinks cabinet up north, the 15yr Glenfiddich, 10yr Macallan and Glenmorangie being locked up so my alkie neighbour doesn't let himself in and drink them all.

He has access to the American stuff, with his particular tastes leaning towards anything in that comes in a 1 gallon plastic bottle. He'll periodically go on a bender that ends up with him pished on the turps I keep under the utility sink. Fine lad, just... well... we know what genuine alkies are like. Periodically phones me up greeting that he's drunk all my Jack Daniels.

As for bourbon, like whisky it's probably an individual thing... but I'd recommend you avoid Wild Turkey. That stuff is horrendous. Bulleit is my bourbon of choice, with 11yr Parker's for events. Nothing fancy about either of them, and I don't often buy them... I just have them around for people who do like bourbons.

One New Years got tickets for the gf for the the Celidh in Edinburgh Street Party got pished with an American guy at one point we had a big (staggering, in a logical sense) discussion about whisky (he loved Scatch, I reciprocated by saying Makers Mark is alright etc) he was well into it, pretty knowledgeable even and recommended a bourbon. Checking out the price of that Parkers thinking back he had a pretty fancy camera bet he was recommending that. I'll put it on the list to try, always irked me I couldn't remember what it was he recommended(because new years).

You know what the bible says "Love thy neighbour, even whence he doth drink your JD, as JD is a sin.".

• Upvote 1

My old man was telling me a few days ago, that a bottle I got him for his 50th, 20 years ago, is currently auctioning for over £2000.

Any whisky purchased over 10 years ago and is still unopened and in its original box will be returning a healthy profit.

With the explosion of online whisky auctions and a demand far in excess of supply, well for the good stuff anyway i. e. Macallan, Balvenie, Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich etc as well as Japanese whisky, you can make some good returns on investment.

I have been slowly building up a collection (and drinking it as well) of whisky and those that I bought 2-3 years ago have easily doubled or trebled in value.

It's just a constant battle as to whether to either keep them all for a retirement investment, sell them all now and cash in or drink them all!

The roof caved in at the Glenfiddich distillery a few years back and, being Scottish, rather than toss the batch affected they branded it Snow Phoenix and sold it anyway.

By all accounts it was a decent drink, and I told the wife to get me a bottle since it was under a hundred quid and, fuck it, be a good display piece on the cabinet.

Anyway, did she fuck get me it... and now it's going for upwards of a grand at some vendors.

So anyway, fuck her.

7072-376.jpg

Converting to Mickey Mouse Dollars... 400 quid is at the low end of what they're available for... But they price can vary wildly to well over a grand.

Was checking out here... I could get some on Austrian EBay for about 400 quid, or from DC for about a grand.

Here

Either way, she deserves a battering.

...quite interested in getting it for sub-600 bucks, though... what with Christmas coming up.

Have to hide it fae my alkie neighbour, though. 2 minutes is all he'd need to polish it off and move onto the turps.

Your own collection ? impressive !!

Aye.

I've found a very easy way of building the collection.

Generally xmas and birthday presents are shite and people don't know what to get you. :rumour:

Or it's a carry on to suss out what to get.

Close family know now just to get me a bottle of malt. Saves them a lot of hassle

I merely have to drop a hint as to which ones I prefer or the ones I like that are about finished.

Hey presto!

2 or 3 bottles each xmas / birthday. :thumbup1:

The roof caved in at the Glenfiddich distillery a few years back and, being Scottish, rather than toss the batch affected they branded it Snow Phoenix and sold it anyway.

I recall being in Dufftown prob six years ago (?), guy in pub showed us a very similar looking presentation, but for some reason I mind it being a snow grouse.

I prob was a bit combobulated so no doubt mistaken, but do remember him saying the roof collapse was just along the road.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG. Opened the 2005 Scapa tonight, newly acquired and unlikely to get another.

A Gordon & MacPhail number.

As per usual practise, I pour it straight, take a sip and then decide to add water or ice.

Drank it neat and on my second now. As awesome as I remembered from the Grill.

I’m keeping the last third of the bottle to share with other enthusiasts.

If we ever meet one day Roberto, if I come at you with a bottle, it will be to offer you a taste, not to smash you oer the heid wi it.

This stuff is the best I’ve ever tasted. Less than £40.

• Upvote 1

It was sold out on that, and indeed every website when I looked a couple of months ago. Being a Gordon and Macphail, therefore limited quantities, distilled in 2005 and bottled this year, I think it must have gone real rapid.

Wrong Bloots. Sometimes a man needs a Dunt. Beer doesn’t give us that. Raw whisky - and Ogilvy vodka neat (a Scottish product so you wouldn’t know) - hits a spot that no homosexual beer can ever do.