Scottish Premiership Season 2016/17 - 85 Point Target

Love the positivity but we needed Celtic to drop points in one of those last four post mid season break to realistically be in a race.

We'd need to be looking at winning the next four and hoping Celtic drop points in at least two during that run.

We need to beat them ourselves, twice

Celtic have a really busy fixture list this month and the injuries are piling up for them. They have 7 games to play before the end of this month including two Euro ties against Valencia. They have away games at Killie and Hearts this month. Then it's the international break and the first game back for them is ourselves at Parkhead. Would have been ideal to play them this month whilst they are playing every 3 days or so and depleted with injuries. No such luck.

All we can do is win our remaining 4 league games this month before the Parkhead clash and see where it takes us. 3 of the 4 games are at home and we have won our last 5 away league games so no reason why we can't do it.

It's a fair point, we're far from turgid at the mo, quite ostentatious

Yes, but the point I made was that DM can get results, sometimes while playing terrible football, if anyone thinks he won’t stick to that method is a bit......naive (trying to be polite rather than the standard stoop instantly to insults)

Yes, but the point I made was that DM can get results, sometimes while playing terrible football, if anyone thinks he won’t stick to that method is a bit......naive (trying to be polite rather than the standard stoop instantly to insults)

Not sure why folk are taking such an issue with this. There's been the odd spell of good football here and there but McInnes will not be remembered for playing particularly attractive football.

• Upvote 1

Celtic have a really busy fixture list this month and the injuries are piling up for them. They have 7 games to play before the end of this month including two Euro ties against Valencia. Would have been ideal to play them this month whilst they are playing every 3 days or so and depleted with injuries. No such luck.

I'm sure a lot of our opponents thought this about us in December & our NINE games then but look where that got them ;)

I'm sure a lot of our opponents thought this about us in December & our NINE games then but look where that got them ;)

Fair point. They have 8 fixtures in 24 days this month which is a lot. And they are always most vulnerable to dropping points when they have back to back games in Europe as they do this month. Plus their injury list is far worse than ours was in December. After today probably 8 of what is considered their strongest 11 are now injured (Lustig / Benkovic / Boyata / Tierney / Ntcham / Forrest / Edouard / Rogic). Yes they have a far bigger squad to cope but I'd feel pretty confident of getting a result against them with all those players missing.

But no doubt they'll all be back by the time we play them next month after the international break.

If Celtic drop 3 points between now and us playing them, then it is "in our own hands" in the sense that we can pull back the remaining points by beating them.

In reality, a home win is a minimum requirement.  the 8 points is a hoor of a gap and I can't see them losing many from now until the end of the season, so the best chance to close the gap we have is the head to heads. 

For anyone to challenge them they need to be beaten at Park Head I think. 

If Celtic drop 3 points between now and us playing them, then it is "in our own hands" in the sense that we can pull back the remaining points by beating them.

In reality, a home win is a minimum requirement. the 8 points is a hoor of a gap and I can't see them losing many from now until the end of the season, so the best chance to close the gap we have is the head to heads.

For anyone to challenge them they need to be beaten at Park Head I think.

True. The problem is that they have already won 12 out of 12 home games in the league at Parkhead this season scoring 35 goals and conceding only 4. They are pretty rampant at home. Since we lost 1-0 there in September the best any opposing team has managed since is a 2 goal defeat.

The best hope we have is that they continue to drop points on the road and then we can somehow win at Parkhead next month. Highly unlikely but you never know.

True. The problem is that they have already won 12 out of 12 home games in the league at Parkhead this season scoring 35 goals and conceding only 4. They are pretty rampant at home. Since we lost 1-0 there in September the best any opposing team has managed since is a 2 goal defeat.

The best hope we have is that they continue to drop points on the road and then we can somehow win at Parkhead next month. Highly unlikely but you never know.

This is probably the last chance to "catch them napping".  The irony is that we probably need the huns to take points off them.  Just be fucking typical if we and the Huns take points off them at Parkhead and we still finish 2nd....behind the Huns.   Christ, I think I'd rather let Celtic win.

I guess you could argue the law of averages is in our favour. The can't win every game comfortably forever. Someone has to turn them over on their own patch eventually. Why not us?

True. The problem is that in over 2 and a half years now as Celtic manager Rodgers has only lost one domestic game at Parkhead which demonstrates how tough it is. Yes we were the team that beat them but there wasn't everything on the line for them that day the way it was for us. That's not to say Celtic didn't try they did but they didn't have quite the same motivation we had. They didn't need to.