Nobody mentioned selling for below his value.

As a players contract runs down his sell on value usually decreases. The Club is a business and in order to make money to reinvest in the squad we need to be cashing in on players who are coming into the last year of their contract.

Like it or not the Club needs to be raising funds from any source we can and that includes players entering the last year of their contract.

Selling players almost always makes teams worse. It is very difficult to replace good players like Lewis even with the money received from selling.

Nobody mentioned selling for below his value.

As a players contract runs down his sell on value usually decreases. The Club is a business and in order to make money to reinvest in the squad we need to be cashing in on players who are coming into the last year of their contract.

Like it or not the Club needs to be raising funds from any source we can and that includes players entering the last year of their contract.

If you're punting him around for sale because he has a year left on his contract how are you going to get anything other than below his value?

Making profits is not the business of a football club, winning football matches is. Keeping Lewis makes that more likely.

If you're punting him around for sale because he has a year left on his contract how are you going to get anything other than below his value?

Making profits is not the business of a football club, winning football matches is. Keeping Lewis makes that more likely.

The Huns ruined that theory.

They won plenty of matches but look what happened to them.

Football clubs are a business like it or not.

Lewis would be difficult to replace and I'm not arguing with that but not impossible.

balancing the books are tho, aslong as  the profits are reinvested back into the playing budget to improve the team 

We don't need to sell Lewis at a bargain price to balance the books though

The Huns ruined that theory.

They won plenty of matches but look what happened to them.

Football clubs are a business like it or not.

Lewis would be difficult to replace and I'm not arguing with that but not impossible.

I said the business of a club isn't to make profits, not that clubs should cheat and spend beyond their means. Nonsense argument.

• Downvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I didn't really think he'd stay, truth be told, but that is fantastic news. We often say when a player leaves they are replaceable but I would think we'd struggle to get a goalkeeper near to Joe's quality. Especially thinking back over the last 20 years. After Kjaer, I don't think we've had anyone close(and Joe is better anyway). Not often our best players stay. This is his third contract, I think? Some boy.

Wonder if they'll try and credit Joe's new contract to AberDNA as the subscriptions come up for renewal.