Dismal Deadline Day (January 2019)

I think our squad is good enough to get Europe for next season, the issues then lie when Shinnie, GMS, McKenna (potentially), Lowe, Stewart....etc leave and we expect a depleted starting 11 to qualify for the groups. It's as boring as getting beat by Celtic in every cup final.

My sheets are dry at the moment but it won't take much for me to start pishing everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Sums it up pretty well.

We've signed one of the best players in the league, got Lowe back and held onto McKenna.  Shipped out some of the dross and put a couple of our youngsters out to get some much needed game time.

Another attacking player yesterday would have been nice but i'd rather we signed no-one than loaned anyone from the tims (especially that pizza faced turncoat) or brought in dross like Chidi or Barker from down south.  All that would achieve is limiting game time for the likes of McLennan, Campbell and Ross (x2)

Folk have complained for years about the lack of chances for our own youth, now they're bubbling cause we've not signed some over rated dross from england to hamper their chances.  

Greeting faced cunts

Did we? Club kept that one quiet then. I know some on here think G-Stew is the second coming of the messiah but steady on. He's had a decent season so far, mostly with another team and hopefully he can continue that form with us but his first stint with us was hardly awe inspiring.

Not complaining about the 2 we have signed but both are short term loans and known quantities. We've not had to do much scouring to find them.

What's most disappointing is the apparent lack of scouting for this window. We should be looking to improve the squad but instead we've kind of just stuck out head out of the window, saw Hayes kicking a ball aboot and shouted 'fancy a game min?' 'Naw, yer awright Del'. 'Dee ye ken onybody else that wants a kickaboot?' 'Nit!' 'Fit aboot that Morgan loon?' 'Nah, he's been picked already'. Shite, ah right then, ill just have to do rolling subs we the young loons then'

• Upvote 1

Did we? Club kept that one quiet then. I know some on here think G-Stew is the second coming of the messiah but steady on. He's had a decent season so far, mostly with another team and hopefully he can continue that form with us but his first stint with us was hardly awe inspiring.

Ok I could have worded it better but I don't think you can argue Stewart hasn't been one of the top performers in the league this season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had an agreement with GMS that if we got in someone like Morgan or Hayes we'd sell him to NYC in time for the start of the MLS season and if not we would be keeping him until the end of his contract.

DM confirms we rejected bids for GMS and McKenna.

Fuck knows what the inside line is but if we know GMS is away regardless then i'd have been keen to deal and backfill with someone else to reduce the squad turnover in the summer

Fuck knows what the inside line is but if we know GMS is away regardless then i'd have been keen to deal and backfill with someone else to reduce the squad turnover in the summer

That's fine to sell GMS, but only if you can bring his replacement in.

If he can't get him in, then you stick with what you've got.

In McInnes head GMS and McKenna could play their part in bringing in silverware which could be worth more ro the team than any monetary benefits.

The thing that's going to ruin DNA is wasting a rumoured £8k per week of it on Wilson

Yeah, the club made a massive mistake by initially pinning DNA as 'the only reason we could afford to sign Wilson'.  I think there was obviously real belief that Wilson would tear the SPFL apart.  McInnes said he was onto Old Trafford straight away, at the end of last season, to begin negotiations for Wilson.  It has backfired spectacularly.  Add to that, we've written off 200K on Forrester.  It actually amazes me the club haven't had a harder time from the fans regarding the Forrester debacle.  How can a club of our size afford to write off 200K after 6 months?

I'm more disappointed because I reckon DNA could have been an excellent additional source of regular revenue for the club.  This seasons events will have killed it.  I'll still pay my money, for reasons I've already stated, but they've alienated a huge section of the membership this season.  After fantastic initial success and a massive uptake in memberships, the club have scored a terrible own goal.  Awful execution.

• Upvote 3

Ok I could have worded it better but I don't think you can argue Stewart hasn't been one of the top performers in the league this season.

He's been a standout for a good Killie side and made a reasonable start with ourselves but remains to be seen if he can make a real impact here given it never really worked out previously under McInnes. I hope he can, although doing so might alert other clubs to his availability and given his contract situation there's no guarantee we'll reap the benefits of an in-form Stewart.

Think Some of the business has been good

We still have Shinnie, GMS and McKenna all of which very realistically could have gone

We have bought in stewart and along with Ball have two out of contract players that we can be looking at closely 

But far far more important than that we have Lowe back for the rest of the season

Cannot underestimate how important having lowe and stewart for the rest of the season is

Would like us (like most seasons) to have gone for a right side central defender who is ok at RB as we are woefully short in this areas with Make does required, If Shaunassey is being looked at on a Pre contract be very surprised if he want looked at

He's been a standout for a good Killie side and made a reasonable start with ourselves but remains to be seen if he can make a real impact here given it never really worked out previously under McInnes. I hope he can, although doing so might alert other clubs to his availability and given his contract situation there's no guarantee we'll reap the benefits of an in-form Stewart.

was a real difficulty to shoe horn stewart into a team with trying to get Mclean, Christie and May all working together

• Upvote 1

Some more reasonable stuff posted this morning on here. Some are incapable of a balanced viewpoint whatsoever.

The window wasn't the best, we could be doing with 1 or 2 extra but to call it dismal/tragic/awful is the usual bed wetting pish we get on here (and on Twitter and Facebook too to be fair).

The obsession with trying to paint a constant picture of failure by some of our fans is a weird trend. The club are in a healthy position financially, are finally getting good training facilities and are performing on the pitch to a very good standard over the past few years. If you aren't happy with how things are just now I'd be inclined to call you a brat.

Of course there is always room for improvement and everyone is open to criticism but it's got to be balanced.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

If we can't 'backfill' with a player who is staying long term, then it's more turnover. Best to stick with GMS in this case

was a real difficulty to shoe horn stewart into a team with trying to get Mclean, Christie and May all working together

True, but only because Derek saw Christie as the better option and had ambitions to sign him permanently whereas Stewart hadn't done enough to force his way in to the first XI and was kept in reserve. He wasn't able to dislodge a mis-firing May at the time. Admittedly he's looking more like the player we hoped he would be first time around but is that down to Clarke's stewardship?

We just need to get very very lucky with injuries and avoid unnecessary replays and suspensions!

McKenna and Devlin together, Logan and Lowe either side, a core of Shinnie, Ferguson and presumably Stewart Or May with Maclennan and GMS/ McGinn on the flanks. That’s hardly the worst line up AFC have fielded in the last 20 years.

No it's a brilliant line up.

It's the first line which is my concern.

• Upvote 1

I'd argue Lewis/Devlin/McKenna is the best back in the league and with Logan & Lowe is possibly the best in league. I'm not sure we've fielded that theoretical back 5 once this season?

Hamilton at home. Think that is the only time.

EDIT: Kilmarnock away, Hibs at home.

Guess how many goals we conceded in those three games...

I don't think the window was that bad overall.  Would have been nice to have got another attacking player in so can understand that some are a little underwhelmed.

Before the window the sentiment was that McInnes needed to trim the deadwood and he's gone a long way towards doing that - Tansey, Forrester and Reynolds all going out

Two young players out at decent level clubs to get some match experience, I've no problem with that.

We kept hold of McKenna, Shinnie and GMS for now so that's good news - we didn't have to lose anyone that we would have wanted to keep.

Having Lowe back for the rest of the season after thinking we'd lost him is great news and Stewart seems up for it this time around.

We also seem to have made some efforts to secure some players on pre-contracts in the summer according to some accounts

I get that people are totally underwhelmed but honestly thinking the guys who have all left or gone out on loan were all sensible decisions.

Pity we didn't add 1 or 2 but there it is.

Would be quite interesting to know if we were chasing signings last night and thought we'd get more in or if we let the guys go out on loan in the knowledge we wouldn't sign "replacements".

But all in all January windows are mostly shite anyway.

Pre contracts deals and some proper signings made in the summer is what we really need.

Dissapionted that none of the pre-contract offers that were being talked about have come to anything yet.

Would have been good to finish this season knowing we have at least a couple of Pre-contract deals tied up.

Anyone got any info on what is happening?

Dissapionted that none of the pre-contract offers that were being talked about have come to anything yet.

Would have been good to finish this season knowing we have at least a couple of Pre-contract deals tied up.

A guy on P&B who got most of the transfer window stuff correct said we have a couple of things agreed but the club are not releasing until the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

Incredible number of people on here and on fb etc pishing their pants.

The squad is fine. Trimmed some deadwood, couple of boys that needed game time out on loan. Still ample cover of senior players and if we need them some youth players might get some minutes which is no bad thing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We also seem to have made some efforts to secure some players on pre-contracts in the summer according to some accounts

Encouraging news that we offered a contract to David Turnbull.  This is the best strategy for us going forward.  Attempt to hoover up the best hungry, young scottish talent and provide them with a platform to develop and eventually move on for a fee.  Turnbull looks like a big talent and I did wonder at the time, if we were one of the clubs that offered him something.  Robinsons thinly veiled 'so called bigger clubs' comments suggested as much.

Looks like an attacking central midfielder - which we obviously need.  Big strong lad for 19 y/o too!  Very much ready to play, could've been a great partnership with Ferguson next season.

Yeah, the club made a massive mistake by initially pinning DNA as 'the only reason we could afford to sign Wilson'.  I think there was obviously real belief that Wilson would tear the SPFL apart.  McInnes said he was onto Old Trafford straight away, at the end of last season, to begin negotiations for Wilson.  It has backfired spectacularly.  Add to that, we've written off 200K on Forrester.  It actually amazes me the club haven't had a harder time from the fans regarding the Forrester debacle.  How can a club of our size afford to write off 200K after 6 months?

I'm more disappointed because I reckon DNA could have been an excellent additional source of regular revenue for the club.  This seasons events will have killed it.  I'll still pay my money, for reasons I've already stated, but they've alienated a huge section of the membership this season.  After fantastic initial success and a massive uptake in memberships, the club have scored a terrible own goal.  Awful execution.

Spot on.

The idea was good and a great way to bring in extra revinue for the club and engage the fans, but can only see the revinue source drying up now which is a great shame.

The season hasn't finished yet

• Upvote 1

A guy on P&B who got most of the transfer window stuff correct said we have a couple of things agreed but the club are not releasing until the end of the season.

Interesting.

I know McInnes likes to keep deals quiet, but if they are agreed it would be nice to let the fans know.

Any idea why they would be keeping it quiet until the end of the season?