Home Aquarium

Pash

I bought my girlfriend a 95ltr tropical fish tank for her Christmas and just got 4 Platy's into it on Tuesday. Looking forward to buying her more fishies, watching them is better than watching tv, well it was better than the Man City v Liverpool game last night anyway.

When I get a house I am gonna have a big marine aquarium with coral in it. You get some right weird looking marine fish, they are ace. Tropical fish are best to start with though, and you also get some bonnie ones. Gonna get 4 more on Sunday, not sure what kind, then the week after 8 more, but in a months time I can buy her a Tiger Plec. Dobbie's is shit I have found, Waterworld is ace.:thumbup1:

So, has anyone else got a fish tank at home? If so, what fish have you got etc.

I bought my girlfriend a 95ltr tropical fish tank for her Christmas and just got 4 Platy's into it on Tuesday. Looking forward to buying her more fishies, watching them is better than watching tv, well it was better than the Man City v Liverpool game last night anyway.

When I get a house I am gonna have a big marine aquarium with coral in it. You get some right weird looking marine fish, they are ace. Tropical fish are best to start with though, and you also get some bonnie ones. Gonna get 4 more on Sunday, not sure what kind, then the week after 8 more, but in a months time I can buy her a Tiger Plec. Dobbie's is shit I have found, Waterworld is ace.:thumbup1:

?

Good for Alzheimer's sufferers , my daughter got one for the wife.....she seldom looks at it , I spend mair time at it.

But I've really enjoyed aquariums throughout my lifetime , sometimes cold water , sometimes tropical ; it's tropical just now.

Never got to know the names of many species but I do like the Black Mollys and the Neons.

An aquarium is supposed to be good for the heart and relaxes us but it's a reciprocal agreement - you look after them , they look after us.

Get to know 'em , treat 'em good. :)

Fuck that, aye it looks fine, wait till you have to clean the cunt, and the fish start getting riddled with a dose, straight doon the bog, end of fucking story.

We gave Piranhas Ben & Jerry ice cream once, plus a heap of little fish to scoff. They scarpered to the side of the tank at the ice cream.

However, once they got a taste of it, they were chapping at the bit for more.

It killed them a few days later unfortunately, bit rich I think :ThumbsDown:

there's a lovely tropical aquarium in my dentist's waiting room. i think the burbling water and watching the fish is supposed to relax you. it doesn't work for me. i still need good drugs. :(

they can be some work to maintain. i remember having to keep water distilling in buckets at the ready for replenishing the tank. :( and vacuuming them out, and such. i've only had the one tank (for my son when he was young). and the fish died regularly. funeral rites while flushing became somewhat commonplace. so i gave up on owning fish.

Used to keep them when I was younger but working away meant I'd to rely on others to ensure the tank was kept clean.

Rarely happened so gave them up.

Just got some Koi in the lake pond outside which are piss easy to keep and little maintenance.

Expensive little fuckers though and I've lost a couple to a rogue cat. :angry2:

Fuck that, aye it looks fine, wait till you have to clean the cunt, and the fish start getting riddled with a dose, straight doon the bog, end of fucking story.

We gave Piranhas Ben & Jerry ice cream once, plus a heap of little fish to scoff. They scarpered to the side of the tank at the ice cream.

However, once they got a taste of it, they were chapping at the bit for more.

It killed them a few days later unfortunately, bit rich I think :ThumbsDown:

Let me guess, was it phish food you gave them?!

Sorry to hear that looksgoodinred, our fish are still alive after almost 2 days though so I am feeling good about this! Yeah a lot to do and remember but I reckon I can keep up with it, the thing is to look after the water apparently, not the fish. If you have healthy water, you have healthy fish.

Sorry to hear that looksgoodinred, our fish are still alive after almost 2 days though so I am feeling good about this! Yeah a lot to do and remember but I reckon I can keep up with it, the thing is to look after the water apparently, not the fish. If you have healthy water, you have healthy fish.

Dinna kid yersel Pash. Too many folk get hooked up on keeping water spot on and checking the PH constantly.

Just remember where these fish originate from. It's not all sweetness and light in the fresh water amazons. Revolting water in plenty natural habitats with fish doing just fine.

Marine ones are bastards to keep but tropical are a piece of piss.

indeed! and i hope your girlfriend is enjoying your gift as much as you seem to be. :)

(will she be naming the fish? ;) )

Dinna kid yersel Pash. Too many folk get hooked up on keeping water spot on and checking the PH constantly.

Just remember where these fish originate from. It's not all sweetness and light in the fresh water amazons. Revolting water in plenty natural habitats with fish doing just fine.

Marine ones are bastards to keep but tropical are a piece of piss.

I haven't done f**k all so far really, put that aqua stuff into the water to get rid of the chlorine, then got the water to sround 25

Did ombdee see 'Piers Morgan In Dubai' on TV.......I think it's repeated ad nauseam?

Weel.......

There wis this aquarium and I sweer it wis bigger'n my hoose.....mebbe even my street !

Seems like Dubai are attempting to out-United States the United States , with everything being bigger and better. :o

I kept Malawi Chichlids and catfish for years, is interesting to begin with but you'll soon get sick of cleaning the tank and filters etc, it is good when they start breeding and little fish start appearing, you need to give them plenty of places to hide, smash up some clay plant pots and put them in a corner of the tank, the other fish will eat them otherwise.

Marine is a different kettle of fish :tumbleweed: , I've never tried it but know you need water skimmers on top of all the other equipment and keeping the water just right is meant to be a nightmare.

PS Waterworld is good but the guy who works there doesn't like the general public! :laughing:

Did ombdee see 'Piers Morgan In Dubai' on TV.......I think it's repeated ad nauseam?

Weel.......

There wis this aquarium and I sweer it wis bigger'n my hoose.....mebbe even my street !

Seems like Dubai are attempting to out-United States the United States , with everything being bigger and better. :o

Saw that last year. It's in one of the big malls but the name escapes me. Not that exciting to be honest Phoen. It's big but I don't really see the point in it's existence. I'm in a shopping mall to shop and if I want to look at some fish I'll head to Macduff Aquarium.

A good few years back I was given two goldfish by my girlfriend at the time

The same night one of my flatmates chucked a couple of E's in with them to keep them occupied

Posthumously named Shaun and Bez :cry:

:hysterical:

My auld man used to keep tropical fish years ago. Was a fair size of tank, had about 30-40 fish in it at one point of all shapes, colours and sizes. Was a cunt to look after though and too clean and once they all start to die off you cant be fucked with it anymore.

The best one he had was an albino catfish

A good few years back I was given two goldfish by my girlfriend at the time

The same night one of my flatmates chucked a couple of E's in with them to keep them occupied

Posthumously named Shaun and Bez :cry:

One of your mates named after a local supermarket chain put my girlfriends hamster on a hot oven hob and burnt it's feet. :(

Had one before I moved house a few years back. Tropical, not marine. Couldn't be arsed moving the tank 150 miles so gave everything away. The bigger the tank, the easier it was to keep clean, or so I found. I had crystal clear water and once setup with the right mix of fish I didn't change it too often, just every 2-3 weeks. Just look after the filter. Maybe I was lucky but I had another smaller tank and it was just a nightmare. Favourites were the silver sharks, a convict, and a severum that jumped out of the water to take food from my hand, but it got a bit too big in the end. Cracking looking fish that was. A plec is a useful fish, but they can get a bit too big too.

how are Chuck, Florence, Denise and OJ doing? no floaters yet? :crossfingers:

Funny that someone mentioned it is more entertaining than TV.

I had a black moor goldfish called Dave. He was king of the tank and had an ability to hover motionless that none of the others ever achieved. He was definitely the boss man.

Me and the ex used to make up back histories and stories about the fish. The shit they got up to (in our minds) and the complicated relationships they had was way better than any Eastenders storyline.

• 2 weeks later...

aye, I used to have one in my Uni halls kitchen before I left.

When I say I, I mean the tinky weegie fuck who lived in Room C. The one who decided to let a homeless nutjob into our flat who proceded to walk into my room circa 3am and puke all over my en-suite before I locked him out my room while he continued onto the kitchen where he destroyed every piece of equipment in the place.

Said fish tank was never used by weegie tink, it only served to lose me and the other unfortunate English middle-class wankers our deposit for the place, as any mould in the flats get sat on by the hall authorities.

How to get good amounts of mould into a fish tank? Want a wee tip from Dandie1992. Find a weegie tink, find his tinkiest mates, let him pour a bottle of beer into your empty fish tank, leave it for a copious amount of time....watch the mould envelop the entire sector of that kitchen.

how are Chuck, Florence, Denise and OJ doing? no floaters yet? :crossfingers:

They are doing good thanks. OJ is now called Cilla, thought she was a bloke to start off with, and since she is black wanted to give her a traditional African name, so named her OJ, but since we found out she is a girl, she is now called Cilla (Black). She actually gave birth less than a week after we got her to 9 little black fish, apparently they have between 20 and 40 at a time so the rest must have been eaten. Sadly one died, one was eaten and one was brutally murdered by my girlfriend when she tried to scoop it out with a net but squished it instead, so there are only 6 left now, probably a good thing though. They are all in a floating plastic baby tank.

Got 2 Gourami's a few weeks ago and they are ace, chase each other all over the tank really fast, fun to watch. Not sure how to sex them apart though? The same one always does the chasing so I reckon that must be the bloke, and he has really long whiskers compared to the other one. Thinking about getting some more Gourami's but different to the ones we already have.

Got 2 cat fish on Sunday, Julii Cory's they are called, they are ace.

2 more Gourami's and a small school of Neon Tetra's and I think that will be us.

I will take a picture of the tank sometime soon and post it up.

I've got a tropical fish tank in the living room it's huge (220 litres). Had a vast range of fish over the last year or so. It was my step Dad that was well in to fish and it was his tank, I kept it going when he past away as a tribute more than anything. Get's very adictive though, I often just sit watching the fish rather than pu the tv on.

Right now I've got 1x albino shark, 3x elephant long nose, 2x kissing gourami's, 3x platy's, 1x plec (it's huge), 2x silver hatchlets, 3x scissor tails and about 10/12 baby dalmation mollies.

The baby mollies are amazing I had 3 older mollies and one of them gave birth about 6 months ago. They are now about 2cm long and surviving really well. Must have been about 60 of them in total at birth but not many survive. I thought about putting them in the breeding tank but I decided to let nature take its course.

On a side note I bought a live plant about 2 months ago and didn't realise that there was a few snails on it. I ended up with about 100 snails as they breed like rabbits, scooped most of them out as it was getting too much. Apparently they disturb the fish also which isn't good.

What do you guys feed the fish? My elephant nose won't eat flake food so I need to give them a mix of blood worms and some frozen peas.