Home Aquarium

Pash

I've got a tropical fish tank in the living room it's huge (220 litres). Had a vast range of fish over the last year or so. It was my step Dad that was well in to fish and it was his tank, I kept it going when he past away as a tribute more than anything. Get's very adictive though, I often just sit watching the fish rather than pu the tv on.

Right now I've got 1x albino shark, 3x elephant long nose, 2x kissing gourami's, 3x platy's, 1x plec (it's huge), 2x silver hatchlets, 3x scissor tails and about 10/12 baby dalmation mollies.

The baby mollies are amazing I had 3 older mollies and one of them gave birth about 6 months ago. They are now about 2cm long and surviving really well. Must have been about 60 of them in total at birth but not many survive. I thought about putting them in the breeding tank but I decided to let nature take its course.

On a side note I bought a live plant about 2 months ago and didn't realise that there was a few snails on it. I ended up with about 100 snails as they breed like rabbits, scooped most of them out as it was getting too much. Apparently they disturb the fish also which isn't good.

What do you guys feed the fish? My elephant nose won't eat flake food so I need to give them a mix of blood worms and some frozen peas.

Do you defrost the peas first? :laughing:

On a serious side I used to feed my fish some finely chopped chicken. They loved it.

and also...how do you know which fish will live with others and which will start fights?

Research!!

Over-time I've picked up which fish are ok and which would bully others. Big bright coloured fish often attract smaller niggly fish. Most sharks can only be kept in small groups and can't be in a tank with other sharks. You can't put two male fighters in the same and tank if you want more than one fighter it has to be 3 (1 male and 2 females). this gives one female a break from the randy male. A lot of fish require more female than male so the women don't get distressed by the male.

I would love to put photo's up but I don't know how to do it on here. I'll give it a go tonight.

and also...how do you know which fish will live with others and which will start fights?

I thought you were keeping terrapins / turtles? :dontknow:

I lost a few to one particular fish who I thought was a safe companion with neons.

He had about 8 in two days and had to go. Actually saw him wolf one down and he was out of the tank within 10 seconds.

Here is the tank, got it from her Facebook. There are 2 arch ways to the right and the back of the big rock as it is hard up against the glass and they love swimming through them. Also one between the plant behind the smaller rock on the left and the glass at the back. All the babies were hiding in that plant it was a nightmare trying to get them out! Got a few bits of odd shaped wood still to stick in so will do that during the next water change, somewhere for the catfish to hide and there will be more archs and bits for the fish to swim through. Think the wood is gonna go to the back left corner hard to the glass.

post-3738-0-46640500-1327581528_thumb.jpg

I thought you were keeping terrapins / turtles? :dontknow:

I lost a few to one particular fish who I thought was a safe companion with neons.

He had about 8 in two days and had to go. Actually saw him wolf one down and he was out of the tank within 10 seconds.

Haha I've tried to do that to Chuck (the dominant male) a few times, was just gonna catch him in the net, take him out the tank for a few seconds and give him into trouble cos he chases eveyone all the time and goes mental if anyone else touches 'his' food. He knows what I am up to though and hides behind the rock at the back of the tank as soon as the net is in my hand.

One day I will get him...and he will be punished.

Here is the tank, got it from her Facebook. There are 2 arch ways to the right and the back of the big rock as it is hard up against the glass and they love swimming through them. Also one between the plant behind the smaller rock on the left and the glass at the back. All the babies were hiding in that plant it was a nightmare trying to get them out! Got a few bits of odd shaped wood still to stick in so will do that during the next water change, somewhere for the catfish to hide and there will be more archs and bits for the fish to swim through. Think the wood is gonna go to the back left corner hard to the glass.

love the red plant! the tank looks great! :)

As is tradition with AFC Chat when people post pictures can I ask who the baby belongs to and which card did you get your missus? Was it the Forever Friends one?

Who took the photo as I may be able to see some pappage in the reflection. :sherlock:

As is tradition with AFC Chat when people post pictures can I ask who the baby belongs to and which card did you get your missus? Was it the Forever Friends one?

Who took the photo as I may be able to see some pappage in the reflection. :sherlock:

The baby is her god son and no my card is not there, she got a bloody fish tank for her christmas she was certainly not getting a card too!

It was her 10 year old niece that took the photo...

stylish tank?

no sign of pine, whatsoever

nice sleek looking decor, spotlessly clean and a moonlight for at night

a token treasure chest on some pebbles/chuckies?

the ubiquitious sunken galleon?

a bit of drift wood?

make sure you tick all those boxes.

what about any zero maintenance grass or foilage?

au contraire

im investigating the idea of the natural rock, which makes a real reef grow, as well as having a wave maker!

liking the look of this tank itself: http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/aquael-classic-tropical-aquarium-p-5512.html

not tropical enough for my liking.

i think you should look to the indian ocaen for inspiration. i can personally vouch for it.

but if you want a wave machine, look no further than rhyl suncentre.

au contraire

im investigating the idea of the natural rock, which makes a real reef grow, as well as having a wave maker!

liking the look of this tank itself: http://www.rocketaquatics.co.uk/aquael-classic-tropical-aquarium-p-5512.html

Nice. Top looks a bit like too cheap plastic though.

My mother in law has a complete glass one.

Similar to this.

All glass tank

How about a coffee table version? :thumbs:

Coffee table.

• 2 months later...

FYI LGIR.

Here is a pic of my girlfirneds aquarium I assembled for her.

The two fish are the newest arrivals. They are Rams.

My cat used to sit on top of the fish tank as well.

It was being cleaned out one afternoon and the cat jumped up to take its lovely warm seat.

I arrived in the living room to see the cat trying to swim in the tank.

I lol'ed... however, I dont think the cat found it that funny.

My cat used to sit on top of the fish tank as well.

It was being cleaned out one afternoon and the cat jumped up to take its lovely warm seat.

I arrived in the living room to see the cat trying to swim in the tank.

I lol'ed... however, I dont think the cat found it that funny.

:laughing:

I bet the fish did!

Nice job Pash! The tank looks beeyoootiful! :) And a pretty cat too.

Is it a lot of work to keep it all clean?

Thanks!

She chose the vase and the red plant and I chose the other things to go with them, looks quite nice I think. Looks a lot better with the two bits of wood I put in on the left, fills it up nicely and adds a few more holes for them to swin through and hide.

Just use the gravel cleaner once a week and take out about 30L with that, then scrub the inside of the glass with a brush I bought from Waterworld. Change 2 out of 4 filters every 2 weeks and that's pretty much it!

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking about getting another fish tank now that I'm not away with work all the time. Is Waterworld the best place to go?

The customer service in there is shocking but it does have the best stuff, amazing marine selection, the seahorses in there looked sublime but would be a lot of work going down the marine route.