Where Are They Now

5 hours ago, Quagmire said:

Can't see there being a sell on fee. They basically paid £250k to secure him early then loaned him back to us. Can't have seen Aberdeen being in a bargaining position to include a sell on when they were going to lose him for nothing in the summer anyways. 

That was a small outlay to secure his services without being at risk of a totally open auction to secure his services.

There may possibly be a small percentage sell on fee, but I don't know for sure

3 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

That was a small outlay to secure his services without being at risk of a totally open auction to secure his services.

There may possibly be a small percentage sell on fee, but I don't know for sure

I'd be amazed if there was. The clubs did each other a favour, Norwich got him for a small fee in English terms that secured his permanent signing ahead of any possible competition. They then loaned him back to us for 6 months, so  we got a fee in that we wouldn't have got had he left in the summer under freedom of contract, plus we retained  his services until the end of the season. A sell on fee on top would just be a step too far.

7 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I'd be amazed if there was. The clubs did each other a favour, Norwich got him for a small fee in English terms that secured his permanent signing ahead of any possible competition. They then loaned him back to us for 6 months, so  we got a fee in that we wouldn't have got had he left in the summer under freedom of contract, plus we retained  his services until the end of the season. A sell on fee on top would just be a step too far.

Aye. There was not mention of a sell on fee at the time. 

But we got a fee when they could have waited until summer and got him for nothing and we got to keep him for another 6 months. 

We got a fair bit of value out of that. 

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Aye maybe.

So we essentially had him for free for 5 months? It’s maybe wishful thinking, but potentially they could have included a small sell on beyond that

3 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Not a chance there's a sell on for McLean. Shame never signed a new contract at any stage, we should have made decent money on him. Although its easy to forget just how inconsistent he was, maybe a decent offer never would have came.

I don't think he was inconsistent throughout the season he just started every season a mile off the pace but once he was up to speed he was pretty steady form wise.

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

They count as well.  Even so that's only a third of his total. 

He only scored a total of 7 for us in the whole time he was here and a couple of them were penalties I think.  And that was after scoring a double on his debut. 

Must be doing something right down there. 

Perhaps playing him in his preferred position as an out and out striker helps ?