Roughest pub in aberdeen?

ebbe1

• 4 years later...

On 11/13/2018 at 11:22 PM, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Rough areas? I grew up in Wester Hailes, Edinburgh.

I got jumped after school. Kids covered me in chocolate and cream. Stuck a cherry on ma head.

Life was tough in the gateau.

Used to do the leasing and management work for the shopping centre in the mid 00s. Absolute shithole. 

14 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Roughest part of Edinburgh? Been watching that guilt series on iplayer and they make references to pilton and lochend being particularly bad. 

Used to play at Silverknowles public golf course. The last few holes border Muirhouse. Council had virtually reconstructed the Berlin Wall on one side of the course to keep the locals out. Fair enough, you hardly want a needle stick and dose of HIV when you’re looking for your lost ball. 

6 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Roughest part of Edinburgh? Been watching that guilt series on iplayer and they make references to pilton and lochend being particularly bad. 

I lived in Lochend for years. Not that bad and handy as fuck for Leith, City Centre and Porty beach. Made a few notes on my flat as well. My local, The Bunch of Roses was one of the worst pubs on the planet though. I used to walk down to Paul Kane's pub, The Tor.

Niddrie is the roughest bit of Edinburgh, no question. 

I'm maybe thinking more of my memories growing up, a lot of schemes and high rises are gone now. Wester Hailes as a sprawl including Calders, Sighthill, etc used to have something ridiculous like 30-40!high rise blocks. Mostly gone now. And new houses built in their place.

And a lot of different areas really border and merge into one sprawl. But from my years in Edinburgh:

1. Niddrie / Craigmillar

2. Muirhouse / Pilton / Granton

3. Wester Hailes / Sighthill / Calders / Broomhouse

4. Leith

In the 00s prior to the redevelopment Niddrie estate was half derelict and vacant although I think there were folk still living there until the end. Looked like a war zone you’d see on the 9 o’clock news.

Think it has somewhat gentrified now. Looks as though the old White House pub is now some kind of gastropub/bistro /so there’s obviously been some ‘gentrification’. 

Dumbiedykes is the one obvious omission from @Wester Hailes Skins’s list.

And Dalry/Gorgie is a depressing shithole too right enough 😆. A mate of mine (Dons fan from Longside) used to live in a flat above Dersim kebab house and I used to think fuck me it would be depressing living here.

1 minute ago, BrisDon said:

In the 00s prior to the redevelopment Niddrie estate was half derelict and vacant although I think there were folk still living there until the end. Looked like a war zone you’d see on the 9 o’clock news.

Think it has somewhat gentrified now. Looks as though the old White House pub is now some kind of gastropub/bistro /so there’s obviously been some gentrification. 

Dumbiedykes is the one obvious omission from @Wester Hailes Skins’s list.

And Dalry/Gorgie is a depressing shithole too right enough 😆. A mate of mine (Dons fan from Longside) used to live in a flat above Dersim kebab house and I used fuck me it would be depressing living here.

Niddrie hasn't been gentrified man. They've built new houses that's all. 

One of the pubs got busted for having dog fights in the lounge. Name escapes me but it's a farmfoods now.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Beachend Bootboy said:

Edinburgh. FFS???🙄

I feel it’s incumbent upon me as a former resident of 9 years to point out that contrary to its reputation as a ‘The Athens of the North’, vast expanses of the city are a cultural wasteland. 

Chesser’s another area I forgot about. Used to go to the Asda there. Like a shit version of Seaton.

Edinburgh, by accident or intention, manages to hide its rougher areas from visitors. Other cities might have inner city deprivation. Or you go through their rougher areas to get to the centre.

You could visit Edinburgh 100 times from Aberdeen, including football. You're never gonna see any of Wester Hailes, Niddrie, Muirhouse or any of these outlying schemes. Same for tourists who think we all live in the Royal Mile and eat shortbread.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Edinburgh, by accident or intention, manages to hide its rougher areas from visitors. Other cities might have inner city deprivation. Or you go through their rougher areas to get to the centre.

You could visit Edinburgh 100 times from Aberdeen, including football. You're never gonna see any of Wester Hailes, Niddrie, Muirhouse or any of these outlying schemes. Same for tourists who think we all live in the Royal Mile and eat shortbread.

The north end of Lothian Road and surrounds was always pretty sleazy (think the Ambassador Sauna was finally shut down?) but you’re right - the main approaches into Edinburgh bypass these areas. 

7 minutes ago, BrisDon said:

The north end of Lothian Road and surrounds was always pretty sleazy (think the Ambassador Sauna was finally shut down?) but you’re right - the main approaches into Edinburgh bypass these areas. 

The top end of Lothian Road starts to become Tollcross. Which I wouldn't say is deprived, mostly tenements, but has had its share of trouble over the years. Toll-X / Tollcross Rebels a famous old school gang.

Lapdancing bars also from Tollcross to top of Grassmarket. So yeah, a kinda tattoo parlour, lapdancing type area.

9 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

The top end of Lothian Road starts to become Tollcross. Which I wouldn't say is deprived, mostly tenements, but has had its share of trouble over the years. Toll-X / Tollcross Rebels a famous old school gang.

Lapdancing bars also from Tollcross to top of Grassmarket. So yeah, a kinda tattoo parlour, lapdancing type area.

Lived not too far from Tollcross so know that area well. An eclectic area right enough. 

6 minutes ago, Don Fonte said:

Stayed in Edinburgh for quite a few years.  A wonderful city.

Played football in some of the less salubrious areas at times.  Could be interesting.

11s or 5s?

Powerleague at Portobello was alright but used to get some nutters turning up at Sighthill.

11 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

A great review of the broadsword after a google search. Anyone know when/why it was shut down? 

F3-F75-CEC-1431-423-A-A649-7-CEDE3-F7-CB

Ah, the Broadsword - uncles and cousins were regulars, my faither used to go in when we were visiting.

I popped in, on my own, mid 90's, it was if I had stepped into a western saloon, everyone stopped and stared.

Went in a few times over the years for a pint with my faither and uncles, not the usual sort of place I would frequent.