Giving Money to Beggars

BTR

How often do you give  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Spare Change?

• Quite often
    • Once in a blue moon
    • Never - get a job!

This lunchtime I found myself giving change to a beggar in the street, something I never find myself doing.

He must have looked deserving of it cos I'm normally pretty cold-hearted about such things.

What does everyone else do - do you often give or do you just turn the other cheek?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest El Padre
This lunchtime I found myself giving change to a beggar in the street, something I never find myself doing.

He must have looked deserving of it cos I'm normally pretty cold-hearted about such things.

What does everyone else do - do you often give or do you just turn the other cheek?

I'll give you the cash back later. :applause:

I too am a 'once in a blue moon' kinda guy.

Last time I gave someone something was in San Francisco (ooh matron).

There was a guy with a sign that said "I'm not going to lie, I need a beer"

I rewarded his honesty by giving him a can of beer.

He seemed happy.

No, I've never done it. In Glasgow they really annoy me. The other day walking along Byres Road I passed 3 Big Issues sellers, two on either side on the road at one point, one beside the subway and a beggar outside the bank. I can't even walk home from uni without getting asked by one of them. I'm also totally against the BI sellers there as I've seen them countless times with fags, bunches of flowers, etc, so I'm not willing to be harassed by them so they can spend it on what I deem as luxuries. Also the twat outside Somerfield yesterday was baiting a dog and it was getting really worked up.

I also remember being in Edinburgh one time and seeing a guy begging with crutches beside him, then later on walking in another part with no problem at all. I'm sceptical of them now.

Although there is the guy on Buchanan Street with the dog who I feel sorry for cos I passed him so many times last week.

No, I've never done it. In Glasgow they really annoy me. The other day walking along Byres Road I passed 3 Big Issues sellers, two on either side on the road at one point, one beside the subway and a beggar outside the bank. I can't even walk home from uni without getting asked by one of them. I'm also totally against the BI sellers there as I've seen them countless times with fags, bunches of flowers, etc, so I'm not willing to be harassed by them so they can spend it on what I deem as luxuries. Also the twat outside Somerfield yesterday was baiting a dog and it was getting really worked up.

I also remember being in Edinburgh one time and seeing a guy begging with crutches beside him, then later on walking in another part with no problem at all. I'm sceptical of them now.

Although there is the guy on Buchanan Street with the dog who I feel sorry for cos I passed him so many times last week.

Not since I read a series of expos

I'm aware of that, but they piss me right off. I think 3 in one short space of road is extreme, and also don't agree with them trying to sell outside the GU library. They might not be beggars but they act like it, be far better giving them a stand like the Evening Times people have, make it seem more like a job rather than begging.

Guest LondonScottish

I try not to give to beggars cash as such, unless I'm overly pissed on way home from the pub and my resolve weakens. There are so many down here it is ridiculous at times. The ones that particularly wind me up are the ones sitting under/next to a cash machine, or the ones with alsatians or similar large canines that don't ever look too happy. If they're plotted up outside Tesco, I occasionally drop off a sandwich or a couple of tins of dogfood... at least my donation will "do what it says on the tin."

As for The Big Issue, the sellers down here are rarely intimidating, and I at least like the impression they are actually trying to do something for their cash. I would rather give a vendor couple of quid, but not take the magazine as it is fairly naff.

BTW - Big issue sellers aren't beggars.

But are they lepers? :applause:

It takes something special for me to give them any coinage. I think the last one I gave some change to was in Prague - they really make an effort there, laying down with their heed on the ground, almost praying.

And the ones over 'ere think they've 'ad it tough?!

twoyork.jpg

A lot of them have dogs which I think is a bit cruel - if you can look after yourself why have an animal? - but I suppose it's their only friend. I remember when I was in Boston, up around Harvard, being really upset because there was a beggar there and he had a kitten. I wanted to take the kitten home. :applause:

Guest El Padre
But are they lepers? :applause:

It takes something special for me to give them any coinage. I think the last one I gave some change to was in Prague - they really make an effort there, laying down with their heed on the ground, almost praying.

I find that really disturbing to be honest :thumbs:

Its funny how when you see people giving fake homeless guy's food instead of cash, as the just sit starring at the tin and as soon as the people are outta sight they just drop the tin in the bin or end up chucking it back at the people who gave them the tin in the first place!!!!

Its funny how when you see people giving fake homeless guy's food instead of cash, as the just sit starring at the tin and as soon as the people are outta sight they just drop the tin in the bin or end up chucking it back at the people who gave them the tin in the first place!!!!

Beggars can't be choosers.

A lot of them have dogs which I think is a bit cruel - if you can look after yourself why have an animal? - but I suppose it's their only friend. I remember when I was in Boston, up around Harvard, being really upset because there was a beggar there and he had a kitten. I wanted to take the kitten home. :(

Have dogs for 2 reasons. Firstly they get an extra benefit to feed their dog and secondly more people will give just because they have the dog aswell.

When I was in Brussels the beggars were a bit like that - they'd walk into McDonalds, Pizza Hut, etc, hand out a leaflet detailing their plight and how they had 5 brothers to feed and an ill mother, walk round the place for a minute, then go back and collect the leaflets back in and any money that they were given. Needless to say I didn't see anyone give anything. Over there the people selling flowers (both real and plastic flashing ones) would walk in and out of all the restaurants trying to get some money. It was quite offputting if you were out to enjoy your meal.

I don't understand how so many people can become homeless. It's not difficult to get a full time job, even if it is something like working in McDonalds. Full time job on minimum wage gives you easily enough to rent a council flat and pay household bills and still have enough to buy stuff with. With so many council houses lying empty in bad areas, it'd make sense for the council to try and get people back on their feet, give them a flat so they have an address so they can get employment and start contributing to society again. Working in McDonalds and living in Sandilands has got to be better than living on the streets surely?

I don't understand how so many people can become homeless. It's not difficult to get a full time job, even if it is something like working in McDonalds. Full time job on minimum wage gives you easily enough to rent a council flat and pay household bills and still have enough to buy stuff with. With so many council houses lying empty in bad areas, it'd make sense for the council to try and get people back on their feet, give them a flat so they have an address so they can get employment and start contributing to society again. Working in McDonalds and living in Sandilands has got to be better than living on the streets surely?

Skag/Alcohol/Gambling

I usually take their photograph:

soundmin4lx.jpg

.... but sometimes they are sleeping so I take it anyway:

thumbsup5bc.jpg

...and other times when they are awake and not off their tits on drink/drugs we have a wee sing song:

xfactor1du.jpg

Although I must say this is usually on a night out and rarely happens during the day. Another particular favourite is trying to sneak a homeless person into a nightclub/bar*, but this is not usually successful.

They usually get some shrapnel for their trouble, but thats about it.

*I'm only kidding, that would be just plain cruel. Everyone knows the clubs in Aberdeen are sh*te.

I usually take their photograph:

soundmin4lx.jpg

.... but sometimes they are sleeping so I take it anyway:

thumbsup5bc.jpg

...and other times when they are awake and not off their tits on drink/drugs we have a wee sing song:

xfactor1du.jpg

Although I must say this is usually on a night out and rarely happens during the day. Another particular favourite is trying to sneak a homeless person into a nightclub/bar*, but this is not usually successful.

They usually get some shrapnel for their trouble, but thats about it.

*I'm only kidding, that would be just plain cruel. Everyone knows the clubs in Aberdeen are sh*te.

:laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad: :laughmad:

Great laugh!!!!!!!!!! :(;):laughing::laughing:

Near tears with laughter!!!