First And Surnames Both Being 'first' Names

alscotoz

Is it a Scottish thing? People at my work think it's weird and to be honest, I've never given it a second thought. Is it unique?

My name is Alan Stewart. Got the name Alan from my grunny's surname Allan. Obvious where i got my surname from.

Any insights?

I am in the same situation.

What I've found is that I am referred to/called my full name, as if it's double barrelled, instead of just my first name.

Still better than having a surname for a first name though

Is it a Scottish thing? People at my work think it's weird and to be honest, I've never given it a second thought. Is it unique?

My name is Alan Stewart. Got the name Alan from my grunny's surname Allan. Obvious where i got my surname from.

Any insights?

Hi Alan.

• Upvote 1

Any insights?

Stewart is originally a surname, not a first name (The Stewart Dynasty of Scotland). Stewart is a corruption of "Steward" which was a medieval honorific title ("High Steward of Scotland") held by the originator of the Stewart Dynasty.

I don't know when it started to be popular as a first name, at a guess maybe around the time of the Jacobite wars - perhaps people started calling their sons Stewart through Jacobite sympathies.

Any insights?

Good name bud, we are from the same clan.

Slightly off topic but boy that used to work in the Chinese up the road was called Chee Kee Fuka.

Nae sure if it was his richt name right enough.....

Any insights?

Is this thread some sort of prompter to get us posting about your avatar...the mighty Arthur "bumper" Graham?