Out Of Contract

14 hours ago, Dandyesque said:

There's also the total unknown as to when any sort of crowds will be allowed back to games 

It's very unlike us to have five players out of contract in January.

Presumably waiting to assess the landscape at that point;

what happened in Scottish Cup 2020

how's the league looking

how's the league cup  looking

and what's the prospect of us selling a player

He'd be a fairly cheap gamble for the likes of Millwall or Charlton but not sure he could realistically expect anything better than that. More likely Gillingham or Colchester level. Who could both probably stretch to paying what we do and the advantage they'd have is that he wouldn't need to uproot his family. 

48 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If he stays fit he'd get a Championship gig no problem at all. 

He's never played lower than Championship in his entire career since he broke through at 18 years old. 

Hopefully he falls in love with the area like Lewis did and sticks around. 

Maybe it’s just me, but it sounds to me like it was AFC’s choice to have a short extension? 

McInnes said something among the lines of “in the months ahead we can maybe look to extend it further” suggesting we are being cautious?

Maybe I’m misreading the situation. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

If he stays fit he'd get a Championship gig no problem at all. 

He's never played lower than Championship in his entire career since he broke through at 18 years old. 

Hopefully he falls in love with the area like Lewis did and sticks around. 

I disagree about the Championship gig to a large extent...he will only be of interest to the clubs likely to finish in the bottom 3 or 4. Purely on the grounds that the higher clubs bring in enough income so as to not need taking risks on guys with 2 fucked knees.

We will be the highest level of club he will ever play for again. As I have said before though....he will be able to earn as much at an EFL level club as what he can with us. I hope he chooses us long term on the basis that he'll get European football with us every season and might well win a medal or 2 along the way.

Great news on the new deal. If he stays fit until Christmas hopefully we can offer him a two years further.

i wouldnt be worried yet about him going to a bigger club. how many games has he played in the last five years? I presume about 20

Edit: the answer is 36 games in the last 5.5 years. 90 odd games at professional level so far.

He's a long long way away from being a £5k/week player.

17 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Only another 6 months.

I wonder if that’s our choice, or his?

It means he can sign a contract in 3 months time with an English club & fuck off for nothing 

Wouldn't blame him.

We got him for fuck all. We get a very good player for fuck all for a season and he gets to rebuild his career then go make some money in England. 

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Wouldn't blame him.

We got him for fuck all. We get a very good player for fuck all for a season and he gets to rebuild his career then go make some money in England. 

Aye there’s two ways of looking at it I suppose.

He owes us a wee bit of loyalty as we helped with his rehab & gave him a chance to resurrect his career.

The other side is he might feel he’s missed enough of his career & needs to cash in whilst he can. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Pity we couldn't get Hoban for longer... but probably a queue of clubs of waiting for him, if he can prove his fitness. Our best player.  At least we've got 6 months to find a replacement.

I just totally disagree. EPL and Championship clubs just don't need to bother with a guy with 2 knees held together by meccano. Remember he was already at Watford (at that point with only 1 fucked knee) and barely played at Championship level. At his age he should now be at his absolute peak but although he's performing well at the top end of Scottish football, top level English clubs won't even notice. They'll just bung £4-5 million at teenage prospect from EFL1 or £20million plus at an established international player from abroad.

Hoban (assuming he remains fit) will either have the choice of staying with us for another 2/3 years or sign for someone like Doncaster/Gillingham/Swindon. They can match the wages we would offer. His choice is to play at a high(ish) level with us, realistic chance of a medal or 2 and guaranteed European football every year or earn broadly the same in the EFL nearer to his roots but with the prospect of winning nothing of any great note (I suppose actually winning EFL1 isn't a bad thing to have on your CV but top players would consider it a Mickey Mouse achievement)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
13 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I just totally disagree. EPL and Championship clubs just don't need to bother with a guy with 2 knees held together by meccano. Remember he was already at Watford (at that point with only 1 fucked knee) and barely played at Championship level. At his age he should now be at his absolute peak but although he's performing well at the top end of Scottish football, top level English clubs won't even notice. They'll just bung £4-5 million at teenage prospect from EFL1 or £20million plus at an established international player from abroad.

Hoban (assuming he remains fit) will either have the choice of staying with us for another 2/3 years or sign for someone like Doncaster/Gillingham/Swindon. They can match the wages we would offer. His choice is to play at a high(ish) level with us, realistic chance of a medal or 2 and guaranteed European football every year or earn broadly the same in the EFL nearer to his roots but with the prospect of winning nothing of any great note (I suppose actually winning EFL1 isn't a bad thing to have on your CV but top players would consider it a Mickey Mouse achievement)

100% this. He's still only played 87 pro football matches and he'll be 27-28 when he comes out of contract at AFC. 

If we see him continuing to play and develop and are brave enough to offer him a three year contract on big money for us then I think we'd have a good chance of keeping him.

45 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Do you watch much English football?  I do and the standard of CB's in the EPL is appalling right now.  I think it's at a low point in the last 20 years actually.  Even the top billionaire teams have a few haddies between them!  if it's that bad in the EPL, imagine how poor it is in the championship! 

He'd have been an EPL regular if he'd not had his terrible injury problems.  The boy has been incredible for us - and has hardly kicked a ball for the past few years!  Imagine how good he would have been if he'd not been a sick note? 

I'll be interesting to see how this plays out... If he stays fit for the rest of the season, he will get some decent offers from down south - much better than we can afford.  Will be stay up here out of loyality?  Other side of the coin - he knees go again next weekend at Celtic - and maybe decision to only give him 6 months was a good one!