Think he's going down there too early IMO.

Young Scottish players should be looking towards Jamie McCarthy and James Arthur. Both played a number of season in the Hamilton first team, really establishing themselves in the Scottish game, before taking the move south.

They are reaping the rewards now, by all accounts the two of them were terrific against Man United the other night.

The thing is against your argument, McCarthy left Hamilton at a younger age than Fyvie is leaving us, albeit he might've played a few more games in their first team.

I do agree it's a bit early, and he's nowhere near ready for the EPL, but if his contract runs out in December, we need to get shot of him asap, and from his point of view he will be thinking I've got to take this chance especially when he knows as well as anyone what injury can do.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is against your argument, McCarthy left Hamilton at a younger age than Fyvie is leaving us, albeit he might've played a few more games in their first team.

I do agree it's a bit early, and he's nowhere near ready for the EPL, but if his contract runs out in December, we need to get shot of him asap, and from his point of view he will be thinking I've got to take this chance especially when he knows as well as anyone what injury can do.

Age wasn't my argument.

Those two players were dominating the midfield for Hamilton in the SPL, before moving on to England.

Fyvie has potential, but that's all he is at this stage. While he certainly hasn't looked out of his depth, he hasn't exactly set the heather alight since stepping up to first team level. Admittedly, being played out of position hasn't done him too many favours... but next season we'll lose Arnason and perhaps Gavin Rae (or am I mistaken?). There is a spot in the middle of park up for grabs next season. I'd like to see Fyvie prove himself in there, before he gets his move down south.

• 7 years later...

"People have said to me 'you're on your last legs'. Well, yeah, I am. If I do my knee again, I'll be done, I'll be finished."

At the age of just 26, Fraser Fyvie has endured enough challenges and setbacks most footballers would not have to face in their entire career.

Since becoming Aberdeen's youngest ever player at the age of 16 years in 2009 - a record recently broken by Dean Campbell - he has suffered two cruciate ligament injuries and missed what he estimates is "roughly three years" of football through injury.

His turbulent career has yielded success, though - his honours include an FA Cup with Roberto Martinez's Wigan, as well as a Scottish Cup and Championship medal with Hibernian.

Now at Cove Rangers in the bottom tier of Scottish football, Fyvie has fallen in love with football again.

"I've thought about never playing again," he tells BBC Scotland. "I've thought about what happens if my knee goes again, but you've got to be more positive than that. I've changed my own mindset.

"I've looked at a lot of mental health videos that can help you turn your negative mind into a positive. Nobody's going to give you anything, you know? You need to sometimes just fight back a little.

"As recently as 20 years ago, I would have been finished. I've been very fortunate that operations have got me back and playing and I'm grateful to still be playing football, to be walking every day."

Signing a short-term deal with League Two newcomers Cove may have raised some eyebrows just months after he was captain of Championship side Dundee United.

But it is clear from Fyvie's demeanour that he is in a good place professionally and personally. Playing his football in the same city as his family - especially with another baby on the way - has been reinvigorating for the midfielder.

"People forget you've got a life outside football sometimes and I think some managers forget that as well," he says, "But I'm really happy with my life at the minute, for the first time in years.

"I played with a lot of the boys here when I was young. You start to realise what you enjoy and appreciate in life. There's a lot more to life than football - but the problem is I absolutely love the game now."

It's a problem because of Fyvie's injuries, but he has far from given up on a return to the top.

Although Cove are undoubtedly on the rise, they remain a part-time club, and full-time football is something Fyvie still hopes to return to.

"I'm essentially in my prime. There's no doubt in my mind that I've still got the same ability," he says.

"I'd love to get back to full-time football. I'd love to play in the Scottish Premiership again. Obviously the English Premier League would be great - I don't know if I'll get there now, it might be a bit late.

"But if you don't dream then you'll never get anywhere."

Great effort how badly Fyvie, his agent and his Dad have managed his career.

Family to look after and pretty much thrown away a professional football career.

I don't know a lot about Ryan Fraser's situation but possibly there has been more brains somewhere there even if it's just been Eddie Howe